LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

07 460 battery, electical, crank issues.

Old 08-18-12, 07:04 PM
chris6878
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 07 460 battery, electical, crank issues.

So this is third time happening. Had the car for about 2 years. First year car was in the garage, wife went to crank it and it wouldnt start. Called AAA they check it was the battery. Had it recharged and was good to go. 6 months to a year later it happens again. called aaa they recharged battery again and I could drive the car but the console would not work. SO I had to driver to the dealer with no idea how fast I was going.

They kept the car for a few days trying to figure out the electrical issue. They also replaced the battery. They finally fixed it and I have since forgotten what they said the issue was with the electronics. Now a year later just the other day the car doesnt crank again. Called AAA and they did the test on the car and the battery was dead. DID the recharge and it was working again. Also the car was in the same place it always seems to die at...the garage.

AAA guy tells me that sometimes if the keyfob is to close to the car it could drain the battery because the car is always acting as if we are about to use it? Told me to wrap keys up in foil to prevent this.

My questions are, has anyone heard of the key fob issue and why the hell does my battery keep dying?
Im thinking of getting a die hard.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 08-18-12, 07:23 PM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

My spare key hangs inside my house just on the other side of the wall about twelve feet from my car. Never had a problem with the car battery. I change the fob battery every two years since 2008
Old 08-18-12, 07:51 PM
chris6878
Advanced

Yea mine arent too far from my car either. Ive got 2 other lexuses and never had battery issues.
Old 08-18-12, 08:25 PM
GregCon
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, you're touching on a topic that has become one of my pet peeves....people who don't seem able to describe the symptoms their car is having, particularly when it comes to cranking versus starting.

Cranking = the engine spinning over as a result of the starter motor
Starting = the engine, having been cranked over, begin to run

I can't tell from your description if you are having a cranking issue or just a starting issue. Does the engine spin when you push the Start button? Or does it spin too slowly or not at all?

Why would the console have anything to do with being able to know how fast you are going?
Old 08-18-12, 08:46 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chris6878
Yea mine arent too far from my car either. Ive got 2 other lexuses and never had battery issues.
How often do u drive this car?
Old 08-18-12, 09:09 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Key fob left 20 feet from my Prius killed the 12 volt battery after being parked 4 weeks. Manual warns about this if left parked over 2 weeks.

Another time battery was dead after a few dsys as being parked in Garage because my Gransson left the dome light on.
Old 08-18-12, 09:52 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

never had a problem and ive worked on my car leaving the door open no prob. check your 12 volt accessories might be coin in there causing a short. but have the battery been changed at all?? give us your symptons as far as starting or cranking.
Old 08-19-12, 12:27 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I live in AZ where we are lucky if a battery last 2-3 years. I know Florida is hot but I doubt its going to kill batteries every year. Did they check the alternator to make sure it charging the battery appropriately
Old 08-19-12, 05:04 AM
GregCon
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I live in Texas and have no issue with battery life in any of the 5 vehicles I am currently in charge of....

My '99 Dodge truck...in 2009 I got freaky that the original battery was still in there, so I went down and bought a new one. I told the guy at the store it was still a good battery. He put it in his boat and as of last month, anyway, it is still alive.
Old 08-19-12, 05:51 AM
chris6878
Advanced

Originally Posted by GregCon
Well, you're touching on a topic that has become one of my pet peeves....people who don't seem able to describe the symptoms their car is having, particularly when it comes to cranking versus starting.

Cranking = the engine spinning over as a result of the starter motor
Starting = the engine, having been cranked over, begin to run

I can't tell from your description if you are having a cranking issue or just a starting issue. Does the engine spin when you push the Start button? Or does it spin too slowly or not at all?

Why would the console have anything to do with being able to know how fast you are going?
I meant to say the dashboard did not light up. With the speedometer. They had to figure that out. And whenever I have the problems the car is completely dead. No alarm, no electricity, when I push the button absolutely nothing happens. Not a sound.
I drove her yesterday after aaa. Whenever I park now it seems to crank up a lil slower than usual.

Originally Posted by SBlexus
How often do u drive this car?
The car may sit at the most 2 days. But she is drivin at least 3-4 times a week.
Old 08-19-12, 07:57 AM
FLYCT

Whenever I park now it seems to crank up a lil slower than usual.
You probably need to replace that battery as it sounds like it has suffered from the tines it was fully drained and then jump started.

Any good shop can verify battery capacity with a load tester.

Jerry
Old 08-19-12, 07:58 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

So this is third time happening. Had the car for about 2 years. First year car was in the garage, wife went to crank it and it wouldnt start. Called AAA they check it was the battery. Had it recharged and was good to go. 6 months to a year later it happens again. called aaa they recharged battery again and I could drive the car but the console would not work. SO I had to driver to the dealer with no idea how fast I was going.

They kept the car for a few days trying to figure out the electrical issue. They also replaced the battery. They finally fixed it and I have since forgotten what they said the issue was with the electronics. Now a year later just the other day the car doesnt crank again. Called AAA and they did the test on the car and the battery was dead. DID the recharge and it was working again. Also the car was in the same place it always seems to die at...the garage.

AAA guy tells me that sometimes if the keyfob is to close to the car it could drain the battery because the car is always acting as if we are about to use it? Told me to wrap keys up in foil to prevent this.

My questions are, has anyone heard of the key fob issue and why the hell does my battery keep dying?
Im thinking of getting a die hard.

Any help is appreciated.
You can forget about the key fob. The life of the battery in the key fob can be shortened if the key for is stored in close proximity to the car but the car battery is essentially unaffected by that.

The most likely cause of the battery discharges that you are experiencing is related to the headlight auto-off feature. It is not a malfunction, but a design weakness.

Read these two posts for an explanation:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6877890-post48.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6881773-post50.html

There are a couple of ways to protect yourself from this. The easiest is to use the little push button in the door handle to lock your car as you leave it. If any door or the trunk is open then you will get an audible warning and the doors will not lock. Using this method will allow the headlights to timeout. The weakness with this method is that you have to wait for the last person to exit and close their door. The other thing that you can do for protection is to use the key fob to lock the doors and turnoff the lights. If you press the lock symbol on your key fob once the doors will lock if all the doors and trunk are closed. If anything is still open then you will get an audible warning and the doors will not lock. You can press the lock symbol twice and the doors will lock and the headlights will be extinguished, but only if the doors and trunk are closed.
Old 08-19-12, 08:34 AM
FLYCT

JM,

Your explanation makes sense. The other day my wife was unloading the car after returning from a trip. 20 minutes after she arrived I went into the garage and to my surprise the headlights were still on The headlight switch was in the auto mode as she she left the driver door open.

A quick counter clockwise turn of the switch off the auto mode then beck to auto turned the headlights off. That way I could still unload the bags from the car with the light now off.

Jerry
Old 08-19-12, 12:22 PM
chris6878
Advanced

Thanks guys. I decided to get a dura last platinum today. Also the headlight switch that jm talked about could also be a problem. I've gone into the garage a few times to see that the auto lights had not turned off yet. I'll be using the key fob to lock the car from now on. Thanks.
Old 08-19-12, 12:25 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I meant to say the dashboard did not light up. With the speedometer. They had to figure that out. And whenever I have the problems the car is completely dead. No alarm, no electricity, when I push the button absolutely nothing happens. Not a sound.
I drove her yesterday after aaa. Whenever I park now it seems to crank up a lil slower than usual.

The car may sit at the most 2 days. But she is drivin at least 3-4 times a week.
If you only drive short trips back and forth to work then your alternator does have enough time to charge the battery. If the battery was drain and had to be jumped started and you drove a short distance it wouldn't have enough time to completely charge and this could make the battery life shorter than manufactor spec.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 07 460 battery, electical, crank issues.