LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2013 LS460/460L/600hL & F-Sport Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-13, 12:13 PM
MuGen7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Speechless!!

Super Sexy Beast!

Old 02-15-13, 07:13 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Consumer Reports reviews the updated 2013 Lexus LS 460

Old 02-19-13, 04:36 PM
greenislex
Driver School Candidate

Old 04-04-13, 05:51 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Old 04-22-13, 12:12 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

2013 Lexus LS460 F-Sport AWD

"Gary Approved"

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2013-...photo-5830554/

There's a guy that goes to my gym who can't get enough of the Lexus LS – let's call him Gary. Gary's the guy – you've probably got one at your gym, or coffee shop, or some other public but quasi-social location – who talks to everyone he meets. Sit next to him on the rowing machine or run by him on the track, and he's almost certainly going to bend your ear for a minute or 20. Gary is in his mid-60s, a business owner, and the super-proud owner of a 2013 Lexus LS.

Not being a shy man, Gary will be the first one to tell you that he didn't do much comparative shopping (he "drove by" the BMW dealership, and looked at a 7 Series "on the computer"). Being a satisfied former owner of multiple Lexus RXs, there was probably only a tiny statistical chance that Gary wouldn't end up in an LS when it came time for him to treat himself to the tricked out luxury car that he'd wanted for a long time. Still, when I found myself chatting with Gary about his new LS, right after I had spent a wintry week in the 2013 LS460 F-Sport AWD, I figured that he'd have some light to shed on the car.

Without substantively quoting the man (I was on the rowing machine; how often do you bring a steno pad to the gym?), here are the main things that drew Gary to the LS: He's a Lexus owner, as discussed, first and foremost. He likes the brand, has had great experiences with other products, and considers the local dealer a friend who will give him "the hookup." Gary described both the engine and the ride of the LS as being "smooth" or "so smooth" at different times during our conversation, mentioning that the car was really fast, as well. Most of his praise though, was aimed at the styling of the LS, which Gary thought was beautiful inside and out. His one criticism lay with "all those gadgets" in the car, which, I was told, he mostly didn't screw around with. Based on some commenter feedback I've gotten on my last few car reviews, I think that a large portion of the Autoblog audience would identify with Gary's succinct (if sometimes oblique) style of vehicle evaluation. We're talking to his people.

In terms of exterior beauty, Gary's appreciation for the LS seems well-founded. After being almost totally refreshed for the 2013 model year, the LS460 is at least as attractive – to my eyes – as the competitive set. I would accept arguments that full-size luxury cars like the Audi A8 and the Jaguar XJ are sleeker, certainly. But competitors from BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Cadillac all offer imposing styles that are neither much cleaner nor more complex than this F-Sport LS and its version of the "spindle grille." Beauty is ever in the eye of the beholder, of course, and while I found the revised headlights and all-LED taillights to be pretty cool, I had a twenty-something woman tell me that the car struck her as "old-fashioned." Let your own eyes be your guide.

Less subjective is the effect that the new bodywork has had on the coefficient of drag (0.27) for the LS, and the attendant noise reduction in the cabin at speed. One of Lexus' brand hallmarks has always been a quiet ride, and this LS does not disappoint on that front. Be it on an open freeway at 80 miles per hour, or chugging through stop and go traffic, the sedan proved itself well-isolated from tire, wind and engine noise, as well as from the bustle of the outside world. The hushed environs make for a calming commuter vessel, or a fantastic place to listen to the 19-speaker Mark Levinson audio system, which has always been one of my favorites.

Aside from the good sound staging, I found the refreshed LS cabin to be less filled with surprise and delight than some of its stiffest competition. While you can feel some commonality with the new Lexus IS interior, for instance, the LS460 has a less cohesive system of controls, clad in styling that strikes me as being dull compared with the rest of the class. A 12.3-inch display is new for 2013, and is easy to read, but navigating its systems by way of the Lexus joystick can be a chore. It's funny, because in iterations past I've loved this system, but in the latest version of the software, movement of the cursor via the joystick is jumpy, and the whole system feels slow to react to inputs. In a world of lighting fast touchscreens, the LS media hub seems behind the pace. Worse, according to Gary's feedback, it might be mostly ignored by users altogether. Since the LS offers standard physical controls for basic radio and climate control functions, my guess is that a lot of LS drivers get by with minimal interactions with the jerky joystick – I know I did towards the end of my test.

My week with the LS460 offered up weather that was appropriate for both the F-Sport package and the optional all-wheel-drive system. The early Michigan spring week started dry, and ended up quite snowy.

Once you discount the cosmetic portion of the LS F-Sport package, the changes versus the base car are these: wider, lower profile tires on bigger wheels, bigger front brakes (14.8-inch versus 14.0-inch vented discs) and an adjustable suspension with air springs and electronically controlled shock absorbers and stabilizer bar. And, naturally, the always-on AWD system with its limited-slip center differential. The net effect of all of that for me, driving more aggressively than my gut tells me Gary would, is a big sedan that's remarkably planted and rigid when faced with multiple corners on a good road. Movement through the suspension is minimal under cornering loads, without compromising much ride quality over small bumps and potholes. "Smooth" even at speed, is a pretty good way to describe it.

And yet, there's nothing about the experience that begs pushing the LS harder, or even driving with a lot of passion to begin with. One of the things that has fascinated me with the Jaguar XJ and BMW 750i is that those big sedans feel very enticing when driven quickly, thanks to relatively responsive steering and ever-so-much play from the rear of the car. The AWD Lexus offers none of that; response to steering inputs is quick but devoid of road feel or heft, and the chassis feels dedicated to safely understeering through every hot corner it encounters.

That last part is fine, as the core value of the LS to my way of thinking has always been comfort, not excitement. And, I'm happy to report that, while the F-Sport package didn't add a lot of joy to my back-road bombing, the AWD setup did just fine in response to snowy weather. On all-season rubber, and having to deal with the streets in my neighborhood that always are the last to get plowed, the LS breezed through six-plus inches of snow with little drama. I didn't ask Gary if his LS was of the all-wheel or rear-wheel flavor, and I feel I don't have to. A Midwestern man with his head as firmly screwed down to his shoulders as ol' Gary isn't going to leave himself stranded when the plows are a little late – bet on it.

One unforeseen downside to selecting the AWD LS over the rear-driver is that it means the same 4.6-liter V8 engine is rated at 360 horsepower and 347 pound-feet of torque, instead of 386 hp and 367 lb-ft. A more restrictive exhaust system in the AWD car is the culprit. Lexus tells us that the exhaust system had to be reconfigured to fit in the engine bay, because of the extra room eaten up by the all-wheel driveline. The reduction of power, combined with some 300 added pounds of curb weight, mean that the LS AWD takes about a half second more to sprint to 60 mph, and loses one mpg in the EPA's city and combined ratings. Those facts might be a little bit irksome, but they really don't impact the driving character of the LS too much. Acceleration in the car feels strong and unstressed (the engine note hardly ever rises to a dramatic pitch in-cabin), both from a standing start and when passing on the highway. In fact, the car's quiet and super-stable ride makes it feel freight train-like at high speeds, with 80 and 90 mph repeatedly coming up without my really noticing.

When it was all said and done, the LS keys handed back over to Lexus and another media vehicle taking its place in my driveway, I found myself hard pressed to disagree with Gary's emphatic assessment of the Lexus flagship sedan. It's smooth (in a lot of ways) and good looking and easy to live with, sure. However, with my experience driving other cars in the segment just a bit more significant than my gym buddy's drive-by, I'm not sure that I would plunk my money down on the LS before all the rest.

Looking at all-wheel-drive versions with the closest possible powertrains (V8s under 400-hp are starting to get scarce in this part of the automotive kingdom), the strongest case for the LS seems to be cost of ownership. Starting at around $75,000 if you exclude the F-Sport trimming and include destination and delivery, the LS460 AWD is a few thousand cheaper than the supercharged V6 version of the XJ AWD or 740i xDrive. It's tens of thousands of dollars less dear than any all-wheel-drive version of the S-Class, too. Of course, all of those cars offer more power and better driving dynamics, and both the BMW and the Mercedes have much slicker in-car technology. To a certain extent, you get what you pay for here.

But I think the best competitive set for the LS includes the cars that undercut the Leuxs in terms of price: the Audi A8 and Cadillac XTS. The new Caddy is really hoping to eat the Lexus' lunch, offering a similar fuss-free driving style, very similar interior space front and back, but with a next-level suite of technology and amenities. (You might not love CUE, but it's clear at least that the XTS is working with much newer hardware.) There's less shove on tap from the Cadillac V6 than you'll find in the Lexus V8, it's true, but will comparative shoppers mind when the bottom line means shelling out $10k or $15k less for the XTS? The A8 is tougher challenge yet, with prices just a few thousand lower than the LS, power levels closer to equal from its supercharged V6, restrained sheet metal, a jaw-dropping interior and brand cache for Audi higher than ever.

The real equalizer here, and the fact truly demonstrated with Gary's purchase, is that Lexus has built an impeccable reputation for quality and sensible luxury that keeps buyers from straying from the herd. Car writers like me, and armchair pundits everywhere will be able to pick apart the LS until it is fully replaced in the next couple of years (and in front of the technology cycle once more), but Lexus will keep selling this 2013 LS460 in the meantime, rest assured.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/04/22/2...rt-awd-review/
Old 04-22-13, 05:26 PM
Motor
Lexus Champion

Old 05-15-13, 04:23 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Post C&d

TESTED

Note to luxury automobile manufacturers interested in entering the performance market: The world’s strategic reserve of performance-signifying alpha characters is dwindling fast. BMW has M locked up, Audi claimed RS, Cadillac took V, and greedy old Mercedes-Benz, acting with characteristic disregard for its Bavarian comrades, took A, M, and G. Thank heaven the letter F was still available, or the Lexus LS460 F Sport may have never seen the light of day.

Building a Better-Behaved Beast

Where most manufacturers choose to 1st work their performance magic on the engine, Lexus virtually ignored it, placing the bulk of its engineering might into chassis mods. Building on the previous LS460’s Sport package, which offered some mild suspension and brake mods with a set of paddle shifters, Lexus has taken the exercise a step further, replacing bushings, adding bracing, and tweaking the shocks for even livelier performance. The latest LS460 F Sport sits 0.4 inch lower than a regular rear-wheel-drive LS, and rides on a set of F Sport–specific air springs, while a set of beefed-up anti-roll bars work to quell any unwelcome body motions. Grip comes courtesy of 245/45-series all-season rubber wrapping 19-inch, 10-spoke aluminum wheels.

The LS460 F Sport also gets Lexus’s Variable Gear-Ratio Steering (VGRS), which varies the steering ratio based on vehicle speed and steering-angle data. The net effects of the setup result in steering-wheel travel that ranges from 2.3 to 3.7 turns lock to lock, slightly more aggressive than the 2.4–3.6-turn range of the standard LS. Lexus has done a good job of imparting a natural feel to it, but there was a vague sense of disorientation once in a while when the ratio was changing during hard driving.

The F Sport treatment also upgrades the front binders, substituting 6-piston Brembo calipers and 14.8-inch rotors for the 4-piston, 14-inch setup found on the standard all-wheel-drive LS460. Rears are the same for both cars, with 2-pot calipers pinching 13.1-inch discs. We recorded a 70–0 stopping distance of 168 feet, 4 feet fewer than the last Audi A8 we tested, a sedan of comparable price and mission that weighs in nearly 500 pounds less than the 4368-pound F Sport. Although the short stopping distance is a good indicator that the brake and chassis upgrades are worth the investment, most of us found the pedal action less than rewarding, its travel and effort rarely commensurate with actual braking function.

A Skosh Sharper but Still Silky

Toyota built the Lexus brand on the concept of precision for the sake of comfort and consistency, so it comes as no surprise that the engine and transmission are a championship tag-team of silky automotive performance. The F Sport AWD drives like a standard LS460 AWD that’s had a few sessions with a personal trainer—the exhaust’s a touch more aggressive, the ride a bit firmer, and turn in a skosh sharper. The driver can shuffle gears via paddles mounted behind the 3-spoke, heated and leather-covered steering wheel or let the Aisin 8-speed transmission peel off torque-managed shifts on its own. There are 5 shift modes to choose from (Eco, Comfort, Normal, Sport, and Sport Plus). The shifts are nearly transparent in Eco and Comfort modes, and unfortunately remain that way even in Sport and Sport Plus. There’s an unwelcome lag between gears in both automatic and manual modes that defies the car’s sporting pretensions. The transmission does perform throttle-blipping, rev-matching downshifts in manual mode, however, so that’s where we spent the majority of our drive time. Even so, we still managed to post a 17-mpg average, not far off the mark from its 16-mpg city EPA estimate.

The center differential varies power distribution from a nearly even 48/52 front/rear split to a rear-biased 32/68, doling out the torque for maximum balance and bite. The end result is confidence inspiring, and the F Sport was hard to break loose even on gravel or wet surfaces. The LS460 F Sport is nearly as serene on the highway as its less-sporting brethren, and the dynamic cruise control accelerates and slows the vehicle with a delicacy other manufacturers could learn from.

So while the LS460 F Sport’s grip and composure is impressive, its 4.6-liter V-8 carries over virtually unchanged, although Lexus engineers did find an additional 6 horsepower for 2013, raising output to 386, while maximum torque stays put at 367 lb-ft. Unfortunately, exhaust-plumbing changes in all-wheel-drive F Sports trim brings output back to a more modest 360 horsepower and 347 lb-ft. The all-wheel-drive system makes the car’s performance very accessible, but the F Sport’s 6.0-second 0–60 time is a far cry from the 4.5-second sprint recorded by the last Cadillac CTS-V we tested. And in a recent comparo featuring an Audi A8L, BMW 740i, and Jaguar XJL—3 cars that wear comparable price tags and passenger counts to the F Sport Lexus—all 3 posted quicker numbers. Heck, even our hefty Chrysler 300C—which sells for nearly $40K less—bettered it, achieving the 0–60 feat in 5.4.

Metronome of Normalcy

The entire LS line has been re-skinned for the 2013 model year, and the F Sport wears the changes with a few stylistic accents of its own. Up front, the fascia gets a 3-dimensional mesh grille, larger air ducts, and round fog lamps; and out back, a diffuser and chrome-accented bumper dress things up. A few discreet badges let onlookers know that Mr. F Sporty Pants is in town. But even with the jaunty additions and a lowered stance, the F Sport’s exterior still displays a hint of Lexus’s trademark demure and billowy appearance. Whether dressed in Obsidian black or Ultra White (an F-Sport exclusive at no additional charge) it inspires affection, but certainly not lust.

Lest you forget the starting price of an F Sport–equipped AWD LS is $10,000 dearer than a rank-and-file AWD LS460, reminders are sprinkled about the cabin, including bolstered front bucket seats with leather trim, an F Sport shift ****, a black faux-suede headliner, aluminum pedals, and other deluxe interior-trim bits. Going F Sport also necessitates the Comfort Sport package (a required option that accounts for $1650 of the premium over a standard-issue LS460), bringing heated and cooled front seats, heated rear outboard seats, a power rear sunshade, and power trunk latching along for the ride.

If it were up to us, we’d give the baseline LS460 the F Sport’s manners, and then endow the F Sport with a powertrain capable of going toe-to-toe with the best performance sedans around. But we’re not, and Lexus has a pretty good read on how much comfort and cash its customers are willing to sacrifice in the name of performance. Measured as the sportiest big sedan in the Lexus lineup, it manages a bit more spring in its step without killing the brand’s luxury focus. However, compared solely in terms of performance, it has a ways to go before “F Sport” carries the bragging rights of “M,” “V,” or “AMG.”
Specifications >

VEHICLE TYPE: front-engine, 4-wheel-drive, 5-passenger, 4-door sedan

PRICE AS TESTED: $88,029 (AWD base price: $75,830)

ENGINE TYPE: DOHC 32-valve 4.6 liter V-8, aluminum block and heads, direct fuel injection

Displacement: 281 cu in, 4608 cc
Power: 360 hp @ 6400 rpm
Torque: 347 lb-ft @ 4100 rpm

TRANSMISSION: 8-speed automatic with manual shifting mode

DIMENSIONS:
Wheelbase: 116.9 in
Length: 200.0 in
Width: 73.8 in Height: 57.3 in
Curb weight: 4835 lb

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 6.0 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 15.1 sec
Zero to 120 mph: 22.8 sec
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 6.4 sec
Top gear, 30–50 mph: 3.3 sec
Top gear, 50–70 mph: 4.1 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 14.5 sec @ 98 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 130 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 168 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.83 g

FUEL ECONOMY:
EPA city/highway: 16/23 mpg
C/D observed: 17 mpg
Old 12-04-13, 11:10 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Autoweek
http://www.autoweek.com/article/2013...IEWS/131209978

2013 Lexus LS 460 F Sport review notes: The Lexus flagship is still cushy in F Sport form

By: Autoweek editors on 12/03/2013

SENIOR ONLINE EDITOR RORY CARROLL: The Lexus LS was once a status symbol. Unapologetically big and technologically bold, it was a symbol of the “All the best stuff is made in Japan!” attitude of the late 1980s and early 1990s. Biggie once rapped, “Lexus, LS, Four and a half, bulletproof, glass-tints if I want some”… and I forget where it goes after that. Does anyone think of Lexus like that anymore? Does anyone rap about Lexus anymore? Not that I know of.

Why is that? Well, perhaps today's rappers are too familiar with the 2013 Lexus LS 460 F Sport. Perhaps they know that the interior is comfortable, despite a wanton lack of attention to things like material choices and build quality. Perhaps they know that the navigation system and audio system are operated through an interface which has a bit too much in common with a gradient-heavy Winamp Skin when it comes to the way it looks and far too much in common with a Rubiks Cube when it comes to the way that it operates.

Or, perhaps they know about how the incredibly grabby brakes make it hard to stop without snapping the necks of passengers and how those brakes announce your presence -- not with throbbing 808 bass-line, but with intense, high-pitched squeaking. Maybe they've ridden in an LS 460 that seemed to float above the road until some small highway imperfection unsettled it.

If that's the case, it's a shame they can't look past that and see a sedan that looks dignified -- if a little too BMW-like -- until you see the “kid-with-braces-and-retainer” grille. It's also a shame that they can't appreciate the LS 460's motor and its silky smooth transmission. But, I suppose that looking past the cars faults to search for its virtues is a lot to ask of today's rappers. However, I suspect it won't be too much to ask of the olds that will no doubt snap the LS 460 up in sufficient numbers to justify its existence.

ASSOCIATE EDITOR GRAHAM KOZAK: I didn't have very strong feelings about the 2013 Lexus LS 460 F Sport. Usually when this happens it's hard to put down words about said car, but here I feel this essential blandness -- this almost total lack of anything polarizing -- is an essential part of the modern LS 460's DNA. It's what the people (or at least those people who buy Lexuses) want.

Oh, sure, there are a few touches here and there that will turn certain shoppers off. The spindle grille isn't exactly a universal crowd-pleaser but this is perhaps the most timid application of that styling cue in Lexus' entire lineup. Dimensional bloat notwithstanding, this car still has the same upright three-box proportions as the first LS.

Yes, the interior is fussy -- my biggest beef here. There are so many trim, flowing interior setups to mimic; the design by committee muddle here looks OK in photos but in person it's a bit of a disappointment. The Enform infotainment system's square cursor thing is easy enough to adapt to, but it is just sort of plopped in the middle of the center console with a wrist pad (like those things ergonomics experts recommend for mice-wielding desk jockies) backing it up. If infotainment is here to stay, it might as well feel like the extension of onboard systems rather than a computer stuck in the dash. Nobody has it quite nailed at this point, but Lexus could really use some work.

A lot of what Rory criticized, though, is what sells Lexus today. Not saying that's a good thing when viewed from the perspective of long-term brand relevance, but think of it this way: if you bought a LS in the early 1990s, loved it, and kept right on buying Lexuses to the present day, the car has more or less evolved to keep up with your wants and needs. Like seats.

The seats are cushy to the point of feeling -- and looking -- like affordably priced La-Z-Boy recliners but the butt-catchers are just another hint that the car was built for long, soothing trips down the interstate. Its 22.2-gallon gas tank (a visit to the World's Slowest Gasoline Pump this morning made it feel far more capacious) gives it a theoretical range of 399.6 mph, which I could actually see if you kept it right at the speed limit in eco mode for hours and hours again.

Even in F Sport trim, the LS460's most notable feature is luxurious smoothness, made possible by its sweet motor and transmission setup and a very floaty suspension. The car's 360 hp will propel you forward surprisingly quickly, though it will do so without much fanfare. Just don't try taking a corner too quickly. There's a surprising amount of understeer.

This isn't the car for a well-to-do young person. At $88,029, I'm not sure who exactly it is for -- maybe a cost-is-no-option individualist who wants something Asian that is not the Hyundai Equus?

Who knows? The LS 460 F Sport could stand to be tightened up all around. It does need to get tighter and edgier if the brand is going to attract younger buyers. But there are plenty out there who will enjoy its serene-if-pricey ride as is. At least until they step on the brakes.

ASSOCIATE EDITOR JAKE LINGEMAN: My favorite things about the big Lexus cars are the seats. They're always more comfortable than competing BMW and Mercedes-Benz examples. I was expecting them, and they were there. But I was hoping for a little more speed, this being the F Sport and all.

But no, this big sedan only has 360 ponies to lug its nearly 4,700-pound curb weight. Don't get me wrong, it has a decent amount of thrust, but this being the biggest and most expensive LS, barring the hybrid, I would like a number somewhere near or clear of 400 hp.

The LS does suck up bumps better than the big BMWs, but that also has something to do with the tires. If you're looking for a sportier drive, go with the Bimmer 7-series or Audi A8. However, the suitably soft suspension and all-wheel-drive system make this car a good choice for northern climates with bad roads and worse weather.

The rest of the interior was up to snuff, in my opinion. The entertainment system with the mouse-like control is easy to work, though there are a metric ton of options to look through. That would be a month-long process if you actually owned the car.

The new styling direction looks good on this car, and very aggressive. I like the upright front end, and all of those character lines seem to point to the center of the hexagonal grille.

Personally, I'd like something sportier in this market. The base price of the LS is about $72K, the base 7-series starts at $74K and the A8 starts at $75K, so they're all right there. I think the Audi looks the best, the Bimmer performs the best and the Lexus is probably the most comfortable.

2013 Lexus LS 460 F Sport

Base Price: $75,830

As-Tested Price: $88,029

Drivetrain: 4.6-liter V8; AWD, eight-speed automatic

Output: 360 hp @ 6,400 rpm, 347 lb-ft @ 4,100 rpm

Curb Weight: 4,695 lb

Fuel Economy (EPA City/Highway/Combined): 16/23/18 mpg

AW Observed Fuel Economy: 17.9 mpg

Options: F Sport package including 19-inch split-10-spoke forge-alloy wheels, all-season tires, F Sport tuned lowered adaptive variable air suspension, stabilizer bars and shock absorbers, Brembo opposed six-piston front brake calipers, 14.8-inch ventilated disks, black leather trimmed with white perforations, F Sport bolstered front seats with embossed headrests, black Alcantara headliner, aluminum pedals and interior trim, F Sport steering wheel with paddle shifters, F Sport exterior styling: front bumper, upper and lower grille inserts, LED fog lamps ($7,860); F sport comfort package including climate-comfort front seats, power rear sunshade, one touch power truck open/close, heated outboard rear seats ($2,090); Mark Levinson 19-speaker sound system, single DVD/CD player ($1,580); blind spot monitor with rear cross-traffic alert ($500); trunk mat ($105); cargo net ($64)