LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Aftermarket Air Ride vs Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-12, 02:09 PM
PRESIDENTE
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Air Ride vs Coilovers

Ok as my search continues for my next ride, I wanted to get some input from everyone regarding suspension options...

Aftermarket Air Ride Setups:
AccuAir/ Air Runner/ UAS

Coilovers:
BC/ Megan/ Stark

I wanna get low and sit pretty so if I have to purchase an LS w/o factory air suspension I'd like to have another option to fall back on. I know that air will cost me more than coilovers but what's the best bang for the buck... Thanks!!!!
Old 08-04-12, 02:14 PM
FrankyBoy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you can afford, I'd go with full air. Coil-overs are cool but I wish I had the adjustability. I am running the Megan's Street Series.
Old 08-04-12, 02:24 PM
PRESIDENTE
Driver School Candidate

I gotta $2500.00 budget to get low... I'm coming from a Bmw 750Li slammed on KW Coilovers n the KW was worth every penny spent!!! (Plus it had a Lifetime Warranty)
Old 08-04-12, 06:30 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PRESIDENTE
I gotta $2500.00 budget to get low... I'm coming from a Bmw 750Li slammed on KW Coilovers n the KW was worth every penny spent!!! (Plus it had a Lifetime Warranty)
I would have the agree with frankyboy. Even if it cost a little bit more than you're willing to spend save up your money don't rush and go with the air. Also with air you can adjust for that perfect ride with a push of the button, coil over u gotta put in work.
Old 08-04-12, 08:23 PM
PRESIDENTE
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SBlexus
I would have the agree with frankyboy. Even if it cost a little bit more than you're willing to spend save up your money don't rush and go with the air. Also with air you can adjust for that perfect ride with a push of the button, coil over u gotta put in work.
Points have been noted, thanks fellas!!!! Much appreciated!!!!
Old 08-05-12, 09:20 PM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankyBoy
If you can afford, I'd go with full air. Coil-overs are cool but I wish I had the adjustability. I am running the Megan's Street Series.
How do you like the Megans?
Old 08-06-12, 06:48 AM
FrankyBoy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PRSUIT460
How do you like the Megans?
Since this is my first time with the coilover's on any car I've owned, I'd say it's good. It could be better. I would like to ride in someone's car who has a full air set-up to be able to compare the ride qualities though.
Old 08-06-12, 09:48 AM
D1GP
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

what about having the reliability of coilovers with air? I recently bought the Phantom Suspension from Platinum VIP...you should check it out

www.phantomsuspension.com
Old 08-06-12, 01:31 PM
FrankyBoy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by D1GP
what about having the reliability of coilovers with air? I recently bought the Phantom Suspension from Platinum VIP...you should check it out

www.phantomsuspension.com
  • How much did the phantom suspension run you?
  • How was much was the installation?
  • What coilovers are you using?
Old 08-06-12, 07:11 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Tht looks pretty legit^^^^ I wouldn't mind running that. Any more feedback on it?
Old 08-06-12, 08:04 PM
BPVIP
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I should be getting my BC racing coilovers in the next week or so with 12/10 spring rates.
Will let you know how they are..
Old 08-07-12, 09:57 AM
D1GP
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankyBoy
  • How much did the phantom suspension run you?
  • How was much was the installation?
  • What coilovers are you using?
Frank,
The suspension run me $2500 for front and rear cups + the necessary components: tank, compressor, lines, and switches. I have not complete the Installation yet, but Platinum quoted me $500... I am currently running a no-brand coilovers and want to test out the overall quality before I install the Phantom kit. (don't want to remove later because the coilover is not up to my expectation.) I am giving it 3 months for wear and tear and see how the coilovers hold up...But I bought the Phantom because of reliability and durability.. The price was reasonable too, compare to other brands of air suspension... I am not a static person, I like to drive my car low and air up so I can get into driveways and or anything that are too steep for me to get into ( I am currently having that problem, my flushed front wheels are scrapped the crap out of my inner liners and fenders), I can't wait to install the Phantom....Will keep you guys posted. There are 60+ cars out there now with the Phantom Suspension and no one has major problems so far...
Old 08-07-12, 06:25 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This may be a stupid question, but how is the handling on air compared to coilovers? Iv'e never really read that going air gives better handling characteristics as opposed to coilovers, at least for the after market segment.

Last edited by adamls2; 08-07-12 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-07-12, 11:59 PM
Nat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I thought about cup kit too but you can't' slam your car to the ground with cup kit. Basically, it will go as low as you coilovers allow correct?
Old 08-08-12, 04:59 AM
MrExecutiv
Lexus Champion

With the cup kits, how low you will go will depend on how much you've set your coils at. it is meant to drive low and just raise to clear inclines, dips, speed bumps, etc.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Air Ride vs Coilovers