LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

OFFICIAL: LS460 w/electronic cutouts thread FTW

Old 08-30-14, 06:52 AM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doing this mod early next week. If you're interested in this, make sure you get the kit with the Y pipes, and I would suggest doing the 2.5" cutouts. Any good muffler shop should be able to put on a reducer to exactly match the exhaust dimensions.
This is really the best of both worlds - at the flip of a switch you can toggle teenage ornery / old man quiet.

A shop in Ohio is doing the work for me, and they said they do this install very often since many folks don't want loud exhaust all the time. IMO this the only way to go.
Old 09-05-14, 10:11 AM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had my cutouts installed today. If you do this mod, pay the extra $75 bucks and get the remote control - with it you can open them a little or a lot or any combination thereof. Plus one doesn't need to mount a switch anywhere.
I found that full open a tad too loud, but you back them off a bit and they're perfect.

Favorite mod yet by far. The "barely open" setting is amazing for everyday driving, and when they're fully closed it's the exact same as bone stock (whisper luxury quiet).

Love it!
Old 06-05-15, 09:40 AM
COzdemir
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Someone help 😅

So since there aren't that many people who has done this mod. I was a bit blind headed going into this. Currently I own the cutouts (Y pipe and all) with the key fob and everything. I've went to 3 other shops and all 3 told me there isn't enough clearance to install them, after the cats or resonator. Can someone PLESE post pictures of what it looks like installed, because I'm thinking about returning them and going for deletes, although I'd like the ability to switch it whenever I want 😕
Old 06-19-16, 05:43 PM
KenEggroll
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cutouts - why 2.5?

Thanks for the info, Sparky.

What is the advantage of the 2.5" cutouts?

Originally Posted by sparky3
Doing this mod early next week. If you're interested in this, make sure you get the kit with the Y pipes, and I would suggest doing the 2.5" cutouts. Any good muffler shop should be able to put on a reducer to exactly match the exhaust dimensions.
This is really the best of both worlds - at the flip of a switch you can toggle teenage ornery / old man quiet.

A shop in Ohio is doing the work for me, and they said they do this install very often since many folks don't want loud exhaust all the time. IMO this the only way to go.
The following users liked this post:
Ragnar1348 (03-25-22)
Old 02-13-17, 11:25 AM
Tummy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by COzdemir
So since there aren't that many people who has done this mod. I was a bit blind headed going into this. Currently I own the cutouts (Y pipe and all) with the key fob and everything. I've went to 3 other shops and all 3 told me there isn't enough clearance to install them, after the cats or resonator. Can someone PLESE post pictures of what it looks like installed, because I'm thinking about returning them and going for deletes, although I'd like the ability to switch it whenever I want 😕
bump... i am also looking for pictures of whoever has them installed
Old 02-13-17, 12:22 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

This thread is, in part, why I developed my Exhaust Vents (linked in signature). Because I considered cut-outs also.

But, in the end I decided that cut-outs would be THE WORST OF BOTH WORLDS.

Meaning: Assuming with the cut-outs closed, that it sounded just like stock, it would be TOO quiet. And with the cut-outs opened, it would be WAY TOO DAMN LOUD and sound like a dirt-track racecar. Very "LS inappropriate" in my opinion. And the expense and difficulty of cut-outs! No way. I would have spent a bunch of money only to have something that I didn't like either opened or closed.

I wanted something that sounded classy, AT ALL TIMES. Like how the Infiniti FX35, and G35 vehicles sound. Those are luxury vehicles ... but can be heard! And the sound is classy. They are not SILENT, like the LS. That's the kind of sound I wanted. To be heard, but to sound Lexus classy. And to be inexpensive and a simple (anyone can do) install. And the last characteristic I was after was ... removability. If it wasn't something I liked or if someone else installed them and didn't like them afterwards, it could be "undone" just as simply as it was "done." I think my results are EXACTLY what I was after.

I just sold another set of Exhaust Vents this morning and shipped them at noon. I know this guy is going to love'em!

And this thread helped me decide my direction. I have nothing against cut-outs. They are appropriate for some vehicles. But not the LS (IMHO). I had forgotten about this thread, until it was just dredged up. So, props to this thread! It led me to my EXHAUST VENTS!
Old 02-15-17, 12:10 AM
Tummy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tummy
bump... i am also looking for pictures of whoever has them installed
does anyone still have any pictures? I put my car on a lift today and there is literally no room so i would love a reference photo
Old 02-15-17, 05:24 PM
07LeLs460L
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

The exhaust vents are definitely the way to go if you want something inexpensive (compared to other things out there) that will give our LS's a great exhaust tone. I Pm'd Jason Sunday night about them, he responded Monday morning, I paid for them that morning and he shipped them out by noon the same day. Received them today in the mail. Got my jack and jack stands and installed them. Comes with easy to understand instructions but installation is pretty straight forward. Was really taking my time and it was still under a 20 min. install. As soon as I started the car I loved the exhaust tone. Not too loud but noticeable when I had to door open listening to it. I can barely hear the difference inside the cabin while driving....Just the way I was hoping for. Well worth the money.
Old 02-15-17, 08:31 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by 07LeLs460L
The exhaust vents are definitely the way to go if you want something inexpensive (compared to other things out there) that will give our LS's a great exhaust tone. I Pm'd Jason Sunday night about them, he responded Monday morning, I paid for them that morning and he shipped them out by noon the same day. Received them today in the mail. Got my jack and jack stands and installed them. Comes with easy to understand instructions but installation is pretty straight forward. Was really taking my time and it was still under a 20 min. install. As soon as I started the car I loved the exhaust tone. Not too loud but noticeable when I had to door open listening to it. I can barely hear the difference inside the cabin while driving....Just the way I was hoping for. Well worth the money.
+1. I've had mine nearly two years or so and I still LOVE the sound. Jason's a good guy and will take care of you.
Old 02-17-17, 07:50 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Thanks guys, for the good words. I sent Exhaust Vents to a CL member in Hawaii this week. He paid early Tuesday morning (due to time difference). He and I had a discussion about the additional shipping cost to HI on Monday evening (the discussion being that I wasn't certain how much extra it would be). I told him in order to simplify and speed things up, just paypal an additional $10 to the normal $120 cost. If the shipping cost to HI was more than $10 greater than normal, I would pay the difference.

Turns out, it was THE SAME shipping costs as within the continental U.S. So ... I folded a $10 bill in with the instructions in the box, so he's only out of pocket the original $120.

Now get THIS. I put the Exhaust Vents in USPS on Tuesday maybe 12:45 pm (during my lunch time), and the Exhaust Vents were delivered YESTERDAY! 2 days shipping to HI! No extra cost!!!!

Even I was impressed with that. Not bad, for gob'ment work! It actually makes me proud of our USPS workers!

Jason