LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Yet another thread about low beam adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-12, 05:02 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Yet another thread about low beam adjustment

Hey guys,

I did searches here and found the threads that explain how to adjust the low beams upward, but the problem that I am having is that I simply can't find a way to have access to the adjustment screw. Can anyone show me the light here? If you have pictures, even better.

On the driver's side, I can see the screw all the way down there, but the angle of access prevents the turning of the screw (using a very long Phillips screw driver).

On the passenger side, I can't even see the adjustment screw.

I also tried to access these screws through the wheel well when I switched to 5000K xenons but no luck, I can't see them through that access point either.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 06-30-12, 07:40 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

This is just one of those mysterious settings that reminds me I should leave that to the dealer..I tried with just the one screw and it seemed to work fine..but with the self leveling and AFS..I have no clue if it is 100% right but they are even and it was better than before.
Old 07-01-12, 04:00 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Lol funny story, my last visit to the dealer I asked them to raise it a little bit and they said its not possible LOL. They gave me some bull ish about its self leveling and never needs to be adjusted ever hahaha. My dealer really likes the pull somenstringsbwith me. Also, off topic but they also lost one of my hub caps and went for a 30 mi joy ride in my car and COMPLETELY denied it while also not following my own instructions on some other things as well.

Sorry I just had to vent...just really pissed that they lost a hubcap lol.
Old 07-02-12, 10:02 AM
G-SharK
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi guys, I've been trying to adjust my low beams for the longest time but never got a chance to. Every time I take the engine covers off and attempt to adjust it, I keep trying to locate the adjustment screws and cannot get a clear picture of what to adjust. See the photo attached. (Green circles are the only adjustment screws that I was able to locate).

Can some help us, tell us which ones they adjust, etc...

THANKS!
Attached Thumbnails Yet another thread about low beam adjustment-ls460-headlight-assembly3.jpg  
Old 07-02-12, 12:05 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Ok now there's a height sensor of some sort on the front suspension. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. I found this sensor when I did the springs in my car. Not sure if I seen one in the rear but a rear sensor would make more sense for head light adjustments.
Old 07-02-12, 03:53 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

The suspension sensor tells where the cut-off plate inside the lens should be, given the variations of weight at the back of the car, like full gas tank, luggage, passengers, etc... That is a setting that should not be messed with.

There is one small screw that is just for the alignment of the light assembly relative to the body of the car. It has nothing to do with the low beam levels.

The one screw that has to be used to move the low beams higher of lower, is down there, (page 6 on attached document) and this screw moves both the high and low beams. I have the same problem of how to access these screws when the light unit is installed on the car.

The attached PDF file shows exactly where the screw is. But I still don't know how to access it when the light unit is on the car.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
20110714161612154.pdf (565.4 KB, 707 views)

Last edited by Luxofreak; 07-02-12 at 03:56 PM.
Old 07-03-12, 06:29 AM
G-SharK
Pole Position

I will try this tonight
Attached Thumbnails Yet another thread about low beam adjustment-headlightaim.jpg  
Old 07-05-12, 10:36 AM
G-SharK
Pole Position

update- Tried to adjust, but no luck. Cannot get to the adjustment location.
Old 07-05-12, 11:29 AM
CJITTY

I know for a fact I raised my beams and Tee's with that one adjustment gear..as I turned gear on level ground, it raised..did other side and then backed the car out, crouched down to ensure the beams cutoffs were even and done
Old 07-05-12, 01:41 PM
G-SharK
Pole Position

Cjitty - How did you get to the adjustment screw, through the engine bay correct? My problem is I cant get to the screw. I will try again tonight. THANKS
Old 07-05-12, 04:23 PM
CJITTY

Its is not a screw..it is a gear that you insert the slotted (Phillips) screwdriver in and turn. There may be a little rubber grommet in the hole that is preventing you from seeing it. When you turn the screwdriver, it turns the gear teeth..not an actual screw
Old 07-05-12, 08:26 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Its is not a screw..it is a gear that you insert the slotted (Phillips) screwdriver in and turn. There may be a little rubber grommet in the hole that is preventing you from seeing it. When you turn the screwdriver, it turns the gear teeth..not an actual screw
I think you're talking about a different gear, Isn't the one behind a metal cap? That gear messes up with the alignment of the cut-off line notch. The gear/screw shown on the papers and on the picture above is impossible to access, either through the engine bay or wheel well. I don't know how the dealer guys do it, if they can do it at all. Maybe they remove half the stuff in the engine bay to do it... I'm annoyed by this because the low beams are too low. I'm thinking about intercepting the sensor and replacing it with a potentiometer... I could adjust the low beams anyway I wanted at any time... LOL

Update: I will check if the LS460 has a similar system as the LS400 for the rear height sensors. If that's the case, it will be easy to adjust the ball rod connection points to have the potentiometer to send a signal that will make the cut off plates to move up a little. Check this out: http://evansweb.info/2009/11/23/ls40...-sensor-repair

Last edited by Luxofreak; 07-05-12 at 08:48 PM.
Old 07-06-12, 06:42 AM
G-SharK
Pole Position

As of last night I was able to get to the adjustment location (Hex shape inside the red circle as pictured) after removing a few components. I use an allen wrench and turn the hex shape to the right a few times but did not notice any changes. I now wonder if I am turning the thing...

By the way, getting to the Hex shape is a pain in the "A"!

According to the diagram above,
(a) Adjust the aim vertically:
- "Adjust the aim of each headlight to the specified range by turning each aiming screw with a screwdriver"

Does that mean there is a philip shape screw inside the Hex circle???

I am now wondering, if the only way to get to it is probably to remove the bumper and headlight assembly to adjust... since it mention to us a screw driver, there is no way a screw driver will fit in that area when mounted.

CJITTY - can you please help me. If you are free and don't mind giving me a ring at 469-688-2067

Thanks,
Lee
Attached Thumbnails Yet another thread about low beam adjustment-ls460-headlight-assembly4.jpg  
Old 07-06-12, 09:29 AM
CJITTY

I am out of country at the moment but if you look at that silver **** on the pic above that looks like a washer with bolt, as you open the hood and remove the engine Tupperware, there is a little plug that pops out so you can put a long screwdriver with Philips head on it and it turns that gear.My Acura TL was same way..its done right from opening hood..the hole is slanted at about 45 degree angle.. Philips head engages the teeth of gear and it turns as you turn screwdriver
Old 07-06-12, 01:09 PM
G-SharK
Pole Position

Cjitty - I cannot locate what is in reference. Can you point it out on the pic please.

Quick Reply: Yet another thread about low beam adjustment