LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

real life day to day differences 07-09 vs 10 and up

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-12, 01:46 PM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default real life day to day differences 07-09 vs 10 and up

this is not a searchable question and I am sure not many have had the 2 models but for those that have, is there really a discernible non aesthetic difference between the cars. this is partially an economics issue as well since if I am not going to miss anything important between an 09 and a 10 MY LS then obviously I would go for the 09, length of remaining warranty issues aside. so yeah you get the streaming bluetooth which I have never even thought of using in my current car which also has it and the 'white' motif on the nav screen but the lights in the side mirrors and headlight washer re positioning doesnt look like it would make a big difference in owning it and enjoying the car daily. I defer to those who know though so thats why I am asking. what if any real difference is there? if theres none then its music to my ears but Im doing due diligence by asking.

thanks in advance
Old 06-29-12, 03:36 PM
Nick2JZ
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is info. from LEXUS for 2010:

The 2010 LS Line offers an array of models and world's first technologies. From the all-new LS 460 Sport, to luxurious rear- or all-wheel drive standard or long-wheelbase models, the entire LS Line has been updated with revised interior and exterior styling and enhanced content.

Every LS features a revised exterior with updated front and rear fascias, headlamps and taillamps, and new standard 18-inch 10-spoke alloy wheels [1], plus outside mirrors with integrated turn indicators. Inside, the center stack is redesigned and rear seats are now available with adjustable butterfly-type headrests and lumbar massage.

Additionally, all LS models are also equipped with a standard multi-information center-console display with integrated backup camera [2] and Bluetooth® [3] integration with compatible cell phones, as well as a 90-day trial subscription to XM® Radio [4] [5] [6]. When equipped with the latest next-generation HDD Navigation System [4], the LS offers Lexus Enform® [7] [8] plus voice command and available XM NavTraffic® [4] [6], XM NavWeather™ [4] [6] and XM Sports® and Stocks [4] [6]. Safety content is also enhanced with standard Safety Connect™ [7] [9]and advanced active front headrests [10], plus available Advanced Pre-Collision System (APCS) [11] with Driver Attention Monitor [12] and Lane Keep Assist [13].

A total of nine exterior colors is available, including new-to-the-LS Matador Red Mica, Satin Cashmere Metallic, Peridot Mica and Deep Sea Mica. Inside, Parchment replaces Cashmere, while Alabaster is now paired with new matte dark brown ash burl wood trim.

Last edited by Nick2JZ; 06-29-12 at 03:39 PM.
Old 06-30-12, 09:10 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

The differences in the nav setup are pretty significant IMHO. I don't have an LS, but my 2010 ES has the new system, the nav traffic, weather, Enform, the whole setup and layout of the system is a significant upgrade. I never had any interest in the Bluetooth streaming, but now I use it and love it. No need to keep an iPod updated, it just runs off my iPhone in my pocket. Quality is every bit as good as the USB hookup too.
Old 06-30-12, 11:33 AM
edarte
Pole Position

Well I have had both a 2009 and a 2011 and I have to say I do not notice a huge difference between the two. I am in Canada so we do not benefit from the extra nav options so I cannot speak to that..

I do like the improved Bluetooth/iPhone link but it is still less than perfect and would not be a deal-breaker for me.

I do like the ability to change more default settings via the nav screen (e.g., headlight off times, etc.) but, again, no deal-breaker if I could not get it.

Last edited by edarte; 06-30-12 at 11:36 AM.
Old 06-30-12, 12:35 PM
GregCon
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Pretty much every one of those differences is 'window dressing'. I don't see one that is other than minor tweaking to fluff up a sales brochure.
Old 06-30-12, 01:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

From a ride and drive perspective the two are going to be the same. Stylingwise I actually kind of prefer the 07-09.

BUT, as someone who has the new nav/infotainment system I don't consider it window dressing. I think the added features, bluetooth streaming, is worth choosing a 2010 over a 2009.
Old 07-03-12, 01:20 AM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

thanks for the candid opinions. anyone can read a spec sheet but thats not like living with the car
Old 07-03-12, 01:08 PM
edarte
Pole Position

OneOfOne

Why are you switching to Lexus? Due to a series of problems I have had/am having with my LS I will consider Infinity again for my next car. I looked at it back in 2010 but stayed with Lexus and now have some regret (although I am still a fan of Lexus so I don't want to put you off).

What is it about your Infinity you don't like or are you just ready for a change?
Old 07-03-12, 11:27 PM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by edarte
OneOfOne

Why are you switching to Lexus? Due to a series of problems I have had/am having with my LS I will consider Infinity again for my next car. I looked at it back in 2010 but stayed with Lexus and now have some regret (although I am still a fan of Lexus so I don't want to put you off).

What is it about your Infinity you don't like or are you just ready for a change?
please its INFINITI. I got my ex because it was a great deal. no one was buying them and therefore it was near invoice. I felt it was the best bang for the buck vs the audi q5 and the acura rdx at the time. now I realize its just as rough around the edges as all infiniti cars.once you driven an LS most cars suffer in comparison. my IS was far more luxurious than this ex and aside from the shift boot and better quality paint. infiniti just doesnt match up. my real dilemma is whether to go to the ultimate sedan in the LS or try again with infiniti with the jx which is almost as refined as an LS. believe me it is very very luxurious to drive and very quiet. or the best deal of all, a preowned acura zdx. being a home owner I have to take into account the practicality issue as well. now even though that seems like a scattershot reason, I would like to know about your LS problems. I thought those cars were near bullet proof. my old 430 ultra was barring one air suspension issue that was fixed out of warranty complimentary [free] and the swinging air vents one of which failed.
Old 07-04-12, 08:30 AM
edarte
Pole Position

Thanks for the spelling correction - until you corrected me I never realized I (but really Infiniti) have been spelling it wrong for years.

Well I still think Lexus produces a "relatively" great auto but my more recent personal experience has been disappointing. If you want all the details you can search this forum for my posts.

I too had been very impressed with the LS 430 and owned one for eight flawless years. In 2010 I purchased a CPO 2009 LS 460 AWD that developed a terrible transmission shudder problem. After a year of failed attempts Lexus did a buy back and I then purchased a new 2011 AWD but after 10000 miles it has developed the same transmission problem. In addition to that I think the rear air suspension is failing and there is a moonroof rattle that my dealer can't solve.

But these things happen. Many more LS owners have perfect vehicles but I am disappointed that Lexus is not admitting to (and correcting) this transmission problem (I think due to the combo of the 8 speed with AWD).

With the possible exception of a Porsche Panamera I don't know another vehicle I might prefer. The Panamera is a different kind of car and not the prettiest car on the road but I didn't think the LS430 was either and I loved it for eight years.

In terms of heads-up for potential problems a few other drivers have complained about the seats not having enough padding and the seat cooling being weak, some vehicles seem to have noisy engines probably due to direct injection, some have had brake actuator problems, and there was the valve spring recall but that should not be an issue for you due to the years you are considering. There were a lot of early owners who had wind noise problems but I think that is rare now.

Despite this list I still think the LS is a great car but my recent personal experience has been disappointing.

Hey, you mention being a homeowner maybe the hatchback of the Panamera might work for you
Old 07-04-12, 12:07 PM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

nah, the panamera looks great in person but is far from my budget. and porsche service is outrageously expensive. sorry for your bad experiences