LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS 460 Acceleration Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-12, 08:07 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by diagtime
The first tsb, regarding hesitation from a stop......do you guys actually know what that software update changes???????? Most LS460 owners do not realize that after being stopped for a few seconds in Drive, the transmission actually shifts into neutral to safe fuel. Upon release of the brake pedal, it shifts back into first gear. Some people were quicker than the trans when going from brake to gas and you could feel it shift into gear right after pressing the gas. the TSB updates the software to make the transmission shift back into gear quicker, so even if you're quick from brake to gas, it will be in gear.
Just curious if this TSB would apply to LS600 and if so, do you think this is a TSB worth doing? Is there any negatives with reflashing for this that you know of since in a later post you said to be skeptical of reflashes?
Old 09-12-12, 07:42 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by diagtime
turn trip to trip A. turn car off. hold down reset button for trip meter. while holding reset button, take your foot OFF THE BRAKE and press the start button twice. ignition will turn on and a reset MAINT
counter thing will start on the combo meter display. keep holding reset button until it says COMPLETE.

on cars with no "reset:" button, you just hold down the odo/trip button.
IS and GS should not be on trip A, just regular ODO displayed.
Thank you for your answer. I am confident that the method you described above will not cause any problems. It is the method that most DIYers use. But, isn't it true that most dealers and many commercial oil-change businesses don't use this method?
Old 09-14-12, 04:40 PM
diagtime
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Just curious if this TSB would apply to LS600 and if so, do you think this is a TSB worth doing? Is there any negatives with reflashing for this that you know of since in a later post you said to be skeptical of reflashes?
LS600 is a completely different system. Your transmission is very similar to other hybrid transmissions except that it has a two speed final output (as opposed to 1) and the transmission is built strong enough to move large buildings. It is electronic cvt and at a stop your engine is either off or charging the battery through motor generator #1. the vehicle moves from a stop when you let off the brake because motor generator #2 is given power at idle to simulate a normal car moving forward at idle. until you let off the brake, your car will not be trying to move at all, thus not wasting energy.
Old 09-14-12, 04:42 PM
diagtime
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jmcraney
Thank you for your answer. I am confident that the method you described above will not cause any problems. It is the method that most DIYers use. But, isn't it true that most dealers and many commercial oil-change businesses don't use this method?
If there's another way to reset it, I don't know about it. Can't do it with the Diagnostic computers. Now most German cars.....yes they usually hook something up to reset it. But not Lexus.
Old 10-22-12, 08:31 PM
Smoothe1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just my two cents, but I have experienced the exact same hesitation while trying to accelerate; after an oil change. I started a post about this a couple of days ago. "Dealer put 5w-30 in my Ls 460, instead of 5w-20". I'm really not sure what oil was used initially, because the first service provider said 5w-30, then a second associate said regular oil and finally the service manager said 0w-20. Once I realized their mistake, I had them drain the "other oil" change the filter and fill with 5w-20 synthetic. On the way home I experienced the hesitation while accelerating into a turn. I'm not sure if it was the oil discrepancy or just the oil change in general. Haven't had any symptoms since.
The following users liked this post:
Mythicalni (01-31-22)
Old 11-24-12, 07:47 PM
hfahmy
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Confirming hesitation after oil change

New owner for 07 LS460 with 31k miles, had my oil change today, had hesitation making a turn at 10-20 mph. Had to push the car hard to get out of this mode. Tried to replicate along the same turn but it did not happen. Drove the car for 300 miles before the oil change without any problem. I searched CL and found this thread, with all these posts, I concur there is strong corelation between hesitation and oil change....
Old 12-19-12, 03:54 PM
daviswy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome that I found the real anwer to the problem of acceleration on my Lexus 2008 460L
Old 12-28-12, 12:54 PM
Bernster
Driver School Candidate

What was the final resolution? I am just about to purchase an '08 LS 460 with 35K on it
Old 12-28-12, 12:57 PM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

No res from lexus/dealership. I found out that if I leave it on the power etc mode, car drives great. I guess this is the fix (for me at least).
Old 12-28-12, 01:49 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by randomwalk
No res from lexus/dealership. I found out that if I leave it on the power etc mode, car drives great. I guess this is the fix (for me at least).
I find he the throttle way too sensitive in normal mode so I find myself switching to snow mode and it feels more controllable.

My 08 LS460 is a rocket ship in normal mode.

JR
Old 10-03-13, 08:32 PM
08ls460
Driver School Candidate

Default What a POS

Sorry to bump an old thread.

I usually lurk these forms and never had to post, but i am also experiencing this problem. My GF was driving the car and told me that she had a hard time accelerating on the highway. At first I thought she just did not push the gas pedal hard enough so I told her it was all in her head. This evening I test drove her car, and man was it dangerous. It was not in her heard. The car felt like the emergency brake was on, difficult time getting to 60 mph. The car did not want to rev pass 4k rpm. This is ridicules, this might be the last Lexus I will own. Now I will be going to the dealership and waste more of my time fixing an issue that shouldn't even be an issue.

Lets hope the dealership takes care of this.
Old 10-11-13, 11:53 AM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

I notice at the top of the first page it says:

Service
Category: Engine/Hybrid System

Does this mean it applies only to Hybrid LS's?
Old 10-11-13, 12:52 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by WhitBaby
I notice at the top of the first page it says:

Service
Category: Engine/Hybrid System

Does this mean it applies only to Hybrid LS's?
This is true, but in the PDF it also states this TSIB applies to 460 & 460L models as well, check your VIN# to see if your LS falls in those production range of LS460's affected.
Attached Thumbnails LS 460 Acceleration Problems-10-11-2013-3-46-32-pm.jpg  
Old 10-16-13, 11:51 AM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

Just took mine in this morning, they did the reflash and said it was fixed...well it wasn't. Still acts like the Snow switch is engaged. I expect to be taking it in again.
No one seems to give a damn anymore.
Old 10-16-13, 03:27 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I feel your frustration. Its like if the answer isnt easy many of these dealership just don't care. They would rather move on to the next person and take their money with ease

Quick Reply: LS 460 Acceleration Problems