LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Lexus Should Sue Hyundai

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-12, 04:20 PM
Enigma869
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus Should Sue Hyundai

Definitely a cheap ripoff of the LS460 L with the executive seating package. Talk about stealing a design idea. I know Hyundai has come a very long way and builds great cars these days, but this falls way short in the execution department for me...especially given the price tag. I'd rather have a used LS.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2011-...item1c281ccfdc

John
Old 06-15-12, 04:33 PM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Enigma869
Definitely a cheap ripoff of the LS460 L with the executive seating package. Talk about stealing a design idea. I know Hyundai has come a very long way and builds great cars these days, but this falls way short in the execution department for me...especially given the price tag. I'd rather have a used LS.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2011-...item1c281ccfdc

John
the 4th generation (2010+) audi a8 has an executive back seat package option that's almost an exact copy of the LS460 one also. i expect mercedes to adopt something similar in their next s-class too
Old 06-15-12, 04:37 PM
KsportUSA
Driver

I could see the issue here, but then someone would need to sue Lexus because these styles were done custom by many VIP guys before they became a factory option in vehicles.
Old 06-15-12, 04:53 PM
GregCon
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I think Hupmobile should sue Lexus because they had steering wheels well before 1990.
Old 06-15-12, 04:57 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by KsportUSA
I could see the issue here, but then someone would need to sue Lexus because these styles were done custom by many VIP guys before they became a factory option in vehicles.
Never mind that Mercedes (via Maybach) was doing this before Lexus, if memory serves me right. I could not verify (in the 45 seconds I searched) whether a patent exists on this implementation of rear seating, but if it does, I don't believe Lexus has it (the LS460 features that I found patent information for are all exterior features).
Old 06-15-12, 05:09 PM
KsportUSA
Driver

Originally Posted by caha14
Never mind that Mercedes (via Maybach) was doing this before Lexus, if memory serves me right. I could not verify (in the 45 seconds I searched) whether a patent exists on this implementation of rear seating, but if it does, I don't believe Lexus has it (the LS460 features that I found patent information for are all exterior features).
Yea forgot about Maybach, they kind of started the presidents style sedans. Basically a normal vehicle (not limo) that had that VIP feel.
Old 06-15-12, 05:33 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

They (Manufactures) all peek over the fence BUT, some str8 bootleg and don't try to put a spin on the design they copied. To me Hyundai is one those manufactures who don't care about making the idea they took better or different, that is not flattery, it's lazy as hell! IMO.
Old 06-15-12, 06:43 PM
acnup00tl
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hyundai steals from every car maker in the world , when it comes to design , Its like an Invicta watch, total ripoff of every SWISS watch BRAND. I hate Hyundai's with a passion , the H emblem alone makes me want to vomit.
Old 06-16-12, 04:12 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 408 Likes on 282 Posts

C'mon. The original LS400 was a copy of the Mercedes of that era. And the Ford Granada was a cheap copy of the Mercedes of its era.
Old 06-16-12, 04:56 AM
GregCon
Driver

I gotta say, for those of you who were not alive in the 1970's, the Japanese were the pioneer in stealing other people's ideas when it comes to manufacturing. They often improved upon them at the same time, but nonetheless....
Old 06-16-12, 07:41 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Don't you find it strange that as autos evolve into new styling shapes that nearly all the manufacturers arrive at the new shape at relatively the same time? This in spite of an average 3-year time lag from design to production. They obviously know what competitors are doing.
Old 06-16-12, 10:40 AM
Enigma869
Driver

I've definitely come across Hyundai doing this more than other manufacturers. A few years back, the Sonata was absolutely identical to the Honda Accord. You really couldn't tell the two cars apart at first glance. Luckily for Honda, the change the look of the Accord every 20 minutes, so nobody ever really knows what an Accord looks like.

John
Old 06-16-12, 11:04 AM
krzyd
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jayclapp
Don't you find it strange that as autos evolve into new styling shapes that nearly all the manufacturers arrive at the new shape at relatively the same time? This in spite of an average 3-year time lag from design to production. They obviously know what competitors are doing.
Just noticed your signature, BOOMER SOONER is correct.
Old 06-16-12, 02:04 PM
GregCon
Driver

I had a 2000 Accord that was really a great car. Then they got bigger, less useful, lower MPG, and I lost my interest.
Old 06-16-12, 03:21 PM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GregCon
I gotta say, for those of you who were not alive in the 1970's, the Japanese were the pioneer in stealing other people's ideas when it comes to manufacturing. They often improved upon them at the same time, but nonetheless....
I've never understood why copying good ideas from other products when creating a new product makes that new product inferior.

I develop software. Did I invent a "Shell sort"? No, I copied the idea when I implemented it in an application. Was that application inferior because I copied the idea of a "Shell sort"? I don't think so.

I drove a Camry for many years. The Camry copies many concepts from other manufacturers, and improved on them.

Does this somehow make the vehicle "Impure" or in any way inferior because it's not comprised of parts that never existed in other vehicles?

HBH

Quick Reply: Lexus Should Sue Hyundai