LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Official 2013 Lexus LS460/460L/600hL & F-Sport thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-12, 12:30 AM
SDkath
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shoot, looking at the interior pix, it doesn't look like the cup holder will hold my morning Starbucks too well or my 5pm drive-home Jamba Juice. Uh oh...
Old 08-06-12, 12:47 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by SDkath
Thanks for the helpful review. Your cup comment has me really worried now because that's just one of those things that I use 10x in one drive to work -- more than the A/C or the radio. It better not be some small cup holder that allows only the smallest glasses to work without messing with the radio controls. OY.

I don't get the big hype about how it looks "just like a GS." Unless one drives an LS AND a GS alll the time, I don't think it makes one bit of difference if the GS is similar inside. I personally haven't had a GS in over 10 years so I would care less if my LS "matches" other people's GSs. I have always found the LS to have a much more refined look and feel in a minor but important way compared to the smaller Lexuses, so I am betting this will be the case with the new LS's interior also.

I agree -- I hope it's quiet! And as powerful as my current LS. And that joystick thingy has me a little freaked out. Last time I got to play with one of those was in a BMW 7 series last year and it did NOT work well... I hope Lexus kept it simple and intuitive.
i had 2008 m3, played with 2009, and i have s550 now. trust me, the remote touch in lexus is far better and easier to use than the idrive and command system in bmw and mb
Old 08-06-12, 10:45 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

did i read no hud for u.s. '13 ls? if so, why the hell not?
Old 08-06-12, 10:55 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
maybe technically a bit too hard to do with the existing ecu, etc...? just a guess
Old 08-06-12, 10:56 AM
Car Nut
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think there is no space behind the instrument panel to fit the HUD projection unit. Also, if I am not mistaken the windshield optics have to be changed for a clear picture in the area where the info is projected.

The windshield is a carry over from last model I think.

We will have to wait for the next proper model change and then we will have it in colour!
Old 08-06-12, 11:45 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I stopped looking at this after I seen the pics and some specs, it is just too long to read.

I just want to say one thing, ACTIVE SWAY BAR.................HOLY MOLY THAT IS HUGE!!!!

Finally one feature that truely stand out and make a HUGE differences in how the car drive, this feature is crazy nice from all the ones that I felt from other car maker, no body roll and still retain full comfort

I hope it doesn't get discontinue like on the initial GS450h, the initial few batches of the GSh had the active sway, then got discontinued because it was too pricy and no body wanted it I think. It was a $4k option if I remember right.
Old 08-06-12, 12:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by BNR34
I stopped looking at this after I seen the pics and some specs, it is just too long to read.

I just want to say one thing, ACTIVE SWAY BAR.................HOLY MOLY THAT IS HUGE!!!!

Finally one feature that truely stand out and make a HUGE differences in how the car drive, this feature is crazy nice from all the ones that I felt from other car maker, no body roll and still retain full comfort

I hope it doesn't get discontinue like on the initial GS450h, the initial few batches of the GSh had the active sway, then got discontinued because it was too pricy and no body wanted it I think. It was a $4k option if I remember right.
yes it wasn't cheap at all but the performance gain was fantastic. i am sure it will do well in the ls too. hopefully more people get it so they can keep this option. i have already heard report that drs (rear steer) in the 4gs might be going because of price and demand
Old 08-06-12, 12:33 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
yes it wasn't cheap at all but the performance gain was fantastic. i am sure it will do well in the ls too. hopefully more people get it so they can keep this option. i have already heard report that drs (rear steer) in the 4gs might be going because of price and demand
must be only for America

In other countries territories like in Europe or Japan or even in Asian countries (like Philippines), the F-sport contains the entire LDH package and comes with it as standard (so everything from suspension, VGRS, DRS, etc. is included).
Old 08-06-12, 12:53 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Oh yes I love active sway bar, it feels like a huge racing sway bar in the turns and total comfort all the other times!!

Most people won't get it, face it, most Lexus owners just want a smooth and quiet ride, period. I hope they just make it standard, at least on the F-Sport.

I love DRS too, I had a car with DRS, I loved it.
Old 08-06-12, 12:57 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blackraven
must be only for America

In other countries territories like in Europe or Japan or even in Asian countries (like Philippines), the F-sport contains the entire LDH package and comes with it as standard (so everything from suspension, VGRS, DRS, etc. is included).
Yes only in America, Americans generally don't like gadgets on cars, so they don't want to pay for them. That is why for the longest time the Japanese don't sell all their special model cars in the U.S.

I know the rest of the world love all that stuff, so they get it all.
Old 08-06-12, 01:10 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

didnt i mentioned it to you when you said you expect the car to drive exactly the same and to not notice any difference once you sit in it :P

and also those are not in the specs either.
Old 08-06-12, 01:23 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

maybe technically a bit too hard to do with the existing ecu, etc...? just a guess
i thought it was already on the LS but maybe thinking of LX? it's also on RX too, a less sophisticated vehicle so not sure i understand about the ecu.

Originally Posted by Car Nut
I think there is no space behind the instrument panel to fit the HUD projection unit. Also, if I am not mistaken the windshield optics have to be changed for a clear picture in the area where the info is projected.

The windshield is a carry over from last model I think.

We will have to wait for the next proper model change and then we will have it in colour!
ok.
Old 08-06-12, 01:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Blackraven
must be only for America

yes, i don't know if it's US only or NA (meaning canada included). just like we don't have gsh fsport

Oh yes I love active sway bar, it feels like a huge racing sway bar in the turns and total comfort all the other times!!

Most people won't get it, face it, most Lexus owners just want a smooth and quiet ride, period. I hope they just make it standard, at least on the F-Sport.

I love DRS too, I had a car with DRS, I loved it.
yup, that's just a fact, and lexus owners are usually more conscious on options, so it's hard to fork out that much extra for that gain (until they drive the car)

i thought it was already on the LS but maybe thinking of LX? it's also on RX too, a less sophisticated vehicle so not sure i understand about the ecu.

ok.
no, HUD has never been an option on the 4ls at all. i forgot if the 2013 lx has HUD, but i am pretty sure the 08-11 don't have HUD as well

the HUD system itself of course is not anything crazy (given it's been around since 90s), but when i said ecu i meant to say if they have to changed / upgrade to a whole different ecu, then it might not be as cost effective anymore.

the ls460 has been around since 2007, i don't think at that time any lexus passenger cars had HUD. even in this facelift, although interior changed, but the drive train is still the same so the main ecu is likely the same. if that's required to be changed in order to support HUD, that could explain why it's still missing. RX HUD started in 2010 i think? GS started 2013, so those probably have a newer ecu

the optic point that Car Nut brought up can be very valid too, i don't know enough on that to comment, always thought it's matter of reflection. given the ls is much bigger than gs and rx, i am not sure if space can remotely be a problem though
Old 08-06-12, 02:11 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

probably combination of technical and practical for the HUD... i doubt it is windshield since thats not so hard to adapt (it gets some special kind of treatment against the glare)... but they might have needed it positioned differently, or the instrument panel, or both... who knows, it is not there in any case.
Old 08-06-12, 02:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

maybe i was mixing up with mercedes and lexus lx 'night vision'...

Quick Reply: Official 2013 Lexus LS460/460L/600hL & F-Sport thread