LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

People who buy new...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-12, 08:19 PM
GregCon
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default People who buy new...

I have to wonder about some people who buy new LS460's......they have money yet not always brains, it would seem.

The first LS I looked at buying, the lady who bought it new went out of her way to brag about the Vogue wheels she had installed before taking delivery of the car - and the fact that they cost $5,000.

While she was telling me this, I looked up the wheel - the exact model - on Discount Tire's site and it sold for $309 apiece. Keep in mind she also left her original wheels in the dealer's possession.

Looking through the paperwork tonight of the LS I bought, I find where the original owner paid an additional $695 for tinted windows - I can get an LS tinted for under $200 here in Houston using top of the line Ceramic film. And I happen to know the guy I use also does all of the windows for the Lexus dealer 3 miles west of his shop.

The original owner also paid a mere $2895 to be the owner of Lexus over-the-parts-counter 19" Touring Package wheels in chrome instead of identical 19" Touring Package wheels in silver. Again, his original silver wheels stayed at the dealer who probably sold them for big bucks.

I just don't get it....
Old 06-05-12, 08:56 PM
Opaline460
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

Dealerships make money off sleepers, some people paid more money on the used car then a brand new car thats in the same showroom.
Old 06-05-12, 09:47 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Folks who don't put in work to research and maximize their money savings potential just simply always lose in my mind. Folks can be so wasteful. Your window tint and wheel upgrade fail examples are so common it is scary! Some folks have money to burn and just don't care. Folks at my job think I paid $60k plus for my car because they always buy new cars. I refuse to buy new. I make good money but I'll let someone else take the initial depreciation. When folks find out I paid less for my fully loaded flagship Lexus than they did for their brand new Accord..the lingering hate is so obvious lol. I'm cheap as hell, but I roll around and feel like I got Romney money haha..but hey, props to those of us that appreciate a dollar!! I ask for military discounts at the dollar store!! Great post man!
Old 06-05-12, 10:42 PM
305Busa
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

I found a few things to be true from people who over pay at the dealer for options.
1. Too lazy to do the research
2. Some people just believe that its a higher quality since its from the dealer.
3. Some people would like to just have the price added to the montly payments. I figure if the sticker price is 85K anyways, then another 5K on wheels and 700 on tints would only be about another 100 a month on a 60 month finance on a car that might already be around 1200 a month.
Old 06-06-12, 04:47 AM
CJITTY

If dealers actually had labor rates that were more in tune with the current rates of other repair shops, they would probably get more business
Guess they aren't hurting for money because there are so many lames out there paying full price because they don't know any better..sad..but good for Lexus!

Couple recent examples I found absolutely hilarious.

1. Headlight bulb replacement... .1 new bulb and installation, was quoted $225. Haha..really bushes?? Mr Svc Advisor..I can buy a PAIR of these OEMs online for $65 and it takes them less than 15 minutes to replace them..must be the shop materials like latex gloves for the price boost I suppose lol

2. Installation of Tanabe Springs...quoted 9 hours and total cost $1300...hahah gtfoh!! Independent guy did it for $250 in about 3 hours with breaks for rain showers (outdoor lift)

Seriously people, do your research!! Your kids college fund will appreciate your efforts haha
Old 06-06-12, 04:49 AM
GregCon
Driver

I know what you mean on the payment trap.

I have friends who are so proud they bought a new house with .5% down payment, and were able to have all the furniture and appliances folded into the note.

So their $1000 refrigerator which will break in 10 years will be paid for over 30 years and cost over $3000 before all is said and done.

I guess I need to become a dealer.
Old 06-06-12, 09:23 AM
ikeb
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i bought mine new in Nov 2009 - got a great deal - list was about $68,000 and i paid $62,500 - had the dealer put on chrome wheels after the purchase - they wanted to charge me $1000, but i told them no way and that i would shop around - final price from the dealer was $615.00.

the dealer wanted to charge me 275 for tinting - i got it done else where for 225.

i don't blame the dealer for wanting to make money. You just have to use your brain a little to get better prices

i have to admit though - if the dealer wanted to charge me x for a repair (btw - not 1 problem with the car in 2.5 years), i would have to go along with it because i have no clue about car parts or repairs. i used to take my jag to a private guy, but i really never knew what he was talking about with regards to repairs. I just said - do it!!

i have expertise in some areas, but not with cars, Most people are probably like that.
Old 06-06-12, 09:48 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts
Talking

i wouldn't say anyone who buys a LS brand new is crazy.. we bought it new because there weren't any used ones in the world at that time..

but some people with money.. it's not worth their time to research and save $2k out of $80k vehicle.. that's only 0.25% of the car's value...

personally $2k is a lot to me, so I would spend the time.. but people making $$$$.. it's not worth it.
Old 06-06-12, 10:29 AM
darth
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It depends on your profile as a car buyer

Lexus holds its value very well, so while depreciation takes its toll, it is not as big on a lexus as some other luxury models, so you don't save as much as you would if you were buying some other brands.

I tend to keep mine for a very long time, My oldest car is 13 years old and counting. In my case, I prefer buying new because i tend to keep it for such a long time.

If I bought a 3 year old car, I may be able to keep it for 10 more years. If i buy a new car I would keep it for 13 years, so with a used car, I am entering the market for a car once again 3-4 years earlier.

So over 25 years, I would own 2 new cars, but 3 older cars. At this point the savings from 3 old cars vs 2 new cars becomes pretty negligible.

Of course if you tend to keep your cars for a short time say 5 years and sell them and buy another one, the equation is very different.

Bottom line, not everybody who buys new cars is dumb :-)

Last edited by darth; 06-06-12 at 10:33 AM.
Old 06-06-12, 10:30 AM
GregCon
Driver

I don't have any problem with dealers making money, but enough is enough. There comes a point where the word gouging comes into play.
Old 06-06-12, 11:33 AM
pkhuu78
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GregCon
I have to wonder about some people who buy new LS460's......they have money yet not always brains, it would seem.

The first LS I looked at buying, the lady who bought it new went out of her way to brag about the Vogue wheels she had installed before taking delivery of the car - and the fact that they cost $5,000.

While she was telling me this, I looked up the wheel - the exact model - on Discount Tire's site and it sold for $309 apiece. Keep in mind she also left her original wheels in the dealer's possession.

Looking through the paperwork tonight of the LS I bought, I find where the original owner paid an additional $695 for tinted windows - I can get an LS tinted for under $200 here in Houston using top of the line Ceramic film. And I happen to know the guy I use also does all of the windows for the Lexus dealer 3 miles west of his shop.

The original owner also paid a mere $2895 to be the owner of Lexus over-the-parts-counter 19" Touring Package wheels in chrome instead of identical 19" Touring Package wheels in silver. Again, his original silver wheels stayed at the dealer who probably sold them for big bucks.

I just don't get it....
if it is not for those that buy new, we wouldn't have used ones to buy from. You should encourage them to buy more new so we have better selection of used ones to buys from and cheaper. So yeah..keep on buying new with all the options added people, I would be more than happy to take over 3-4 years down the road...
Old 06-06-12, 05:26 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by GregCon
Some of us have both money and brains ...... a fantastic combination I might add!

It definitely can be a good deal for some to buy used or coming off lease. However, for various reasons some people may not want to own a car that had one or more previous owners in the last two to four years. Over the years I've seen people successfully buy a used vehicle, and others who have regretted the day they tried to, in their words, “save a buck". Of course I've also seen new car buyers who clearly bought the wrong car, but they usually have better recourse.

Some people lease all their cars. It's definitely more expensive, but after two years they want a new car and they don't want to be bothered selling the old one. They just want to drop off the old keys and pick up the new ones, and the extra expense is worth it to them. Not my cup of tea, but I understand it.

Some dealers, and not to mention some independent shops, often take advantage of unsophisticated buyers/customers. It is a shame, but it happens in all areas, such as home contractors, trades people, financial advisors, realtors and [insert the occupation of anyone who tries to sell you anything].

To me, that is just life and it ain't ever gonna change.
Old 06-06-12, 06:47 PM
GregCon
Driver

I don't have a problem with new car buyers per se - just the ones who take a beating for no good reason when it comes to add-ons.

As for used cars, I understand both sides of the argument....but I'm always reminded of my father who made the point - every single car you see driving down the road is used.

My last Lexus, a GS300, I bought 2 years old on the cheap - from an independent dealer, no warranty, no history, and it had been front wrecked to the tune that it needed a new fender. I drove it for 7 years and never had a single complaint or issue with it of any sort. It was like an anvil. I suspect my LS won't be as kind to me but...... you pays your money and you takes your chances!
Old 06-07-12, 05:37 PM
dimapb
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For those of you that were not with us here when LS 460 first came out, let me tell you... there was a waiting list to get your car and you couldn't even think of negotiating a better price. If you wanted a car right away, you had to pay the premium. Some dealers really took advantage of that and charged up to $1000.00 for tint and pinstripes. Or they would put different rims on it for $5K and not give you an option. Of course you had an option to walk away, but when you are already paying 86K+ for a car, 1-5K isn't that much of a difference, especially when it meant that you would be one of the first to drive LS460 in your town.
Old 06-07-12, 06:19 PM
CJITTY

^^^So glad I paid well under 40k for mine lol.Would I like new car scent air freshner?? Sure, why not Mr Detailer #SoThrifty

Quick Reply: People who buy new...