LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

I tried to be a DIY guy and now I need your help

Old 05-11-12, 10:39 PM
Gadgeguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I tried to be a DIY guy and now I need your help

First off, I have a 2007 LS460 with the ML system. I purchased the Beat Sonic dvd bypass and was trying to figure out how to install it myself because it sounded easy enough...Well while trying to remove the head unit, I was doing WAY too much and took off the face of the DVD changer and bent the bracket a lil bit and broke a few clicks, and I managed to drop a couple of screws down in there somewhere... That's not my big issue tho. After a few cuts and cuss words, I finally figured out what I should have done all alone and got the beat sonic bypass installed.

Now the dvd changer part isn't working. At first it was the connection between the face and head unit, because I could press the face in with my hand and it would light up and I could use the volume control and the rest of the buttons, but when I let go...NO BUENO...

After tinkering with it some more, I can't even get the thing to come on. My monitor just say "Audio off". I try turning it on with the steering wheel buttons; Didn't work. I even too the bracket off the face, just to make sure the connection was good and it still won't come on. I'm at a loss right now.

Can anybody offer some advise other than purchasing a new unit. I'm confident we all can get this working with having to solder or anything to intensive.

What do y'all think?
Old 05-12-12, 05:44 AM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

post some pics... sounds pretty bad...
Old 05-12-12, 05:59 AM
Gadgeguy
Driver School Candidate

I'll post pics a lil later, but it seems like the radio isn't getting any power. It doesn't light up at all, but the navigation and everything else works fine. I guess I'll be rolling to the sound of the engine for a couple of days til I can take to get looked at.
Old 05-12-12, 06:21 AM
305Busa
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

When you say you tried turning it on with the steering wheel buttons, do you mean with the voice command? I know it sounds a bit silly, but did you push the volume button to try and turn it on?
Old 05-12-12, 06:35 AM
Gadgeguy
Driver School Candidate

More info: When I was saying the "radio" doesn't have power, I was refering to the DVD changer, but since I've been thinking about it, that's not the problem...Earlier it wasn't getting any power to the DVD changer and the radio was still working. I was able to control it with the steering wheel controls.

I'm convinced that it has to be a fuse or something that I haven't checked. I wonder if there is a Audio fuse in the back of the Navigation unit or something that won't allow the audio mode to come on...
Old 05-12-12, 06:38 AM
Gadgeguy
Driver School Candidate

Usually the "mode" button on the steering wheel controls with power on the radio. I tried that and it didn't work. Let me see check if voice command will work at all. If not, there may be a fuse that controls audio and voice control that I haven't looked at...
Old 05-12-12, 07:09 AM
Gadgeguy
Driver School Candidate

Ok, when I press the voice command button, I get nothing, but I've only had this car for about 3 weeks and never tried the voice command. However, when I press the menu and volume and select a number, I hear "voice guidance will be at this level", or something like that.
Old 05-12-12, 08:14 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Sounds bad buddy. I would consult quickly with Henry (RominL). He knows all about this stuff. In the end this is why I am to scared to even touch my car.
Old 05-13-12, 02:03 PM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ok... so being an ex-stereo installer myself (among other things) i do a lot of my own installs... see link
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6215699-post116.html

so this is a simple question, are you sure you plugged all the right plugs into the correct locations???
also, there's a chance some pins might have gotten damaged or even "pushed" in...
check all the pins making sure they're solid and not bent

also make sure they're in the correct location and pushed in all the way as well...
Old 05-14-12, 10:02 PM
Gadgeguy
Driver School Candidate

So tomorrow (Tuesday) I'll be getting back in there to see what's going on and checking the pins to make sure nothing is bent. I'm suspecting that there may be a fuse in the back of the Navi screen that allows the audio to work. This is just a guess though. I have no clue if this is true, but I will be looking behind it tomorrow and hopefully getting things working... I appreciate all the suggestions up to this point. I'll let you know if I find anything, but keep the help coming.
Old 05-14-12, 11:03 PM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

i don't remember there being any fuses back there.
usually the fuses will be closer to the power source rather than at the unit
so what exactly works and what doesn't???

do all the lights work???
Old 05-14-12, 11:14 PM
Gadgeguy
Driver School Candidate

The Navigation works and everything on the touch screen options work except for the audio. It says "Audio off" on the screen when I go to it. And there are no lights on the dvd changer area... Before, the lights weren't on, but it still played, so that's why I was thinking there was something preventing the Audio mode from being on.
Old 05-14-12, 11:17 PM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

have you tried taking what you installed out completely to see if maybe if it's whatever it was you installed that might be the problem???
Old 05-14-12, 11:20 PM
Gadgeguy
Driver School Candidate

Yep, I tried that also.
Old 05-14-12, 11:38 PM
HyperMKIV
Lexus Champion

ok... i'm suspecting something with the installation
mine did something similar too
can't remember what it was so i took it all apart and redid it like twice
once was because we had the whole thing apart (to do the LEDs)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I tried to be a DIY guy and now I need your help