LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Glove Box Adjustment DIY

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-14, 06:33 AM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the dreaded saggy glovebox as well. Instead of going through all this hassle, why not just mount a small black magnetic clasp and/or use black velcro to keep it completely shut? It sure doesn't take much force to keep it held open all the way, and I rarely have the glovebox open anyway.

I'll look into this and post my results back in.
Shawn

Last edited by sparky3; 07-18-14 at 11:02 AM.
Old 07-18-14, 08:55 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

It's really not that much of a hassle. If you follow the directions and take your time, it will take you about 30-45 min tops. I'll bet you spend almost as much time figuring out how and where to mount the velcro.

And you end up with a FIXED product on an expensive car instead of Velcro. But it is your car.
Old 07-18-14, 09:55 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Over-engineering at its worst!
Old 07-18-14, 11:04 AM
sparky3
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by greg3852
It's really not that much of a hassle. If you follow the directions and take your time, it will take you about 30-45 min tops. I'll bet you spend almost as much time figuring out how and where to mount the velcro.

And you end up with a FIXED product on an expensive car instead of Velcro. But it is your car.
Good point. I'm about to add the VAIStech usb/ipod connector and the Prestigious Society NAV/DVD override anyway; will knock all 3 out at once.
Old 10-30-14, 11:52 AM
greekguy66
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just wanted to say thanks for the information. I just adjusted my glove box. No more sag.

It took me about an hour to do. Now that I know what to expect, the time would be less.

Good practice taking it out so in the future I can replace the cabin air filter.
😀

Vasilios
Old 10-31-14, 11:17 PM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by greekguy66

Good practice taking it out so in the future I can replace the cabin air filter.
The cabin filters on my (2007) car are easily accessed - takes a minute to replace them.

Is yours more difficult than that?
Old 11-01-14, 05:27 AM
greekguy66
Driver

Well there is an air filter behind the glove box. I don't think I will be able to get to it without removing the glove box.
Old 11-01-14, 07:14 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

There is an access panel in the back of the glove box. If you take out the stand inside the glove box, you can see it. Just lift up and out on the stand. Then up and out on the access panel.

Be sure to read the sticky on how to change the cabin air filter beforehand or you may damage the system.
Old 11-01-14, 08:28 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by greekguy66
Well there is an air filter behind the glove box. I don't think I will be able to get to it without removing the glove box.
You're over-thinking this one. It's literally a 1-2 minute job and is clearly laid out in your owners manual. HOWEVER.....you need to make sure the HVAC system is set to "recirculating" before replacing the filter.
Old 11-01-14, 08:29 AM
greekguy66
Driver

Fantastic! Hopefully my big hands fit thru otherwise its a job for the misses. 😎
Old 11-15-15, 06:11 PM
AMACK
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

i can't wait to give this a try.
Old 12-09-15, 10:53 AM
AMACK
Driver

Did the adjustment and it was so easy. The passenger side was more difficult though. I didn't see how to adjust the part where the gap was. So I did what's was suggested in the beginning of the thread. I put 1 knot in the cord. And when I put everything back together I made sure the door was in the fully closed position. The only thing I'm not in love with is the door doesn't open fully on its own.

I will attempt the passenger side in the next couple of weeks. Take out the knot in the cord and figure out what I kissed on the more "simpler" way to adjust it.

Thanks guys for the posts.
Old 12-09-15, 12:15 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AMACK
Did the adjustment and it was so easy. The passenger side was more difficult though. I didn't see how to adjust the part where the gap was. So I did what's was suggested in the beginning of the thread. I put 1 knot in the cord. And when I put everything back together I made sure the door was in the fully closed position. The only thing I'm not in love with is the door doesn't open fully on its own.

I will attempt the passenger side in the next couple of weeks. Take out the knot in the cord and figure out what I kissed on the more "simpler" way to adjust it.

Thanks guys for the posts.
This is how I did it, and haven't had an issue. Never tied a knot.

On the passenger side of the glovebox, I did it slightly different. I removed the screws from the metal bracket, and two from inside the plastic on the outside portion of the glovebox. This allowed me to take that entire piece off to get at the black bracket where the two screws are that need to be loosened. Does the same thing, I just found it easier.
Old 01-02-16, 08:18 PM
AMACK
Driver

Originally Posted by greg3852
This is how I did it, and haven't had an issue. Never tied a knot.

On the passenger side of the glovebox, I did it slightly different. I removed the screws from the metal bracket, and two from inside the plastic on the outside portion of the glovebox. This allowed me to take that entire piece off to get at the black bracket where the two screws are that need to be loosened. Does the same thing, I just found it easier.
yes, i got back there again. i un tied the knot and did it how you did.

its amazingly easy and so freaking rewarding.

it closes so perfect and open so smooth.
Old 01-03-16, 09:15 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AMACK
yes, i got back there again. i un tied the knot and did it how you did.

its amazingly easy and so freaking rewarding.

it closes so perfect and open so smooth.
Great to hear. Mine still works and looks perfect.

Quick Reply: Glove Box Adjustment DIY