Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > LS Models > LS460, LS460L and LS600h
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

AWD and aftermarket wheels

Old 04-27-12, 05:53 PM   #1
09LS460
Rookie
Trader Score: (0)

Default AWD and aftermarket wheels

I did try searching for this but didn't find anything regarding this specific question.....(to get that out of the way)

Does the stiffer ride that you get with 22's affect AWD vehicles that are air suspension differently than standard suspension systems? (my understanding is that all AWDs are air suspended vs. standard suspension on the non AWD....true?)

While the 22" look is growing on me, what I don't want is to potentially be doing damage to a more intricate system because I have an AWD as opposed to just replacing struts if they get worn out. From what I can tell from the majority of posted photos, it appears that most people are running non AWD variants of the car....

I'm trying to get my learn on......but there's a lot that I'm new to on this and want to make sure I'm 100% sure of what I'm getting into when looking at some of these upgrades.....
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
09LS460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-12, 08:04 PM   #2
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Lbintab

The biggest concern would be that most 22 inch setups are staggered and more often the tire heights arent exactly the same front and rear which may give the center differential some issues. Spinning at different rates. You'll over come this for sure by not running staggered but if you ask me staggered is the way to go. It's what kind of seperates a good setup from a cheap setup like what you see in the hood with the chargers and deuces haha. Some may chime in and say their setup hasnt given them any issues so I'm not sure. I would look in the 2IS section because there's a lot more guys modding awd is250's then awd LS460's and will tell you how their staggered setups work out with the awd systems. As for the stiffer ride it shouldn't give your suspension too much issues.
Blox Evolution Teaser Video

Blox Evolution behind the camera
lbintab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-12, 09:43 PM   #3
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

ojay juice henry dutty juice

you can 10's all around but make sure your the offsets are right... there just not that much room to paly with in the front so measurements gotta be on point. but I agree staggered is the way to go on a rear wheel drive thats what seperates what is stated in the post above me...
Lextrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-12, 11:51 PM   #4
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I would run a 22x9" with a 255/30/22 all the way around. 10s is pushing it in the front of the LS. Play it safe and do the 22x9 unless you are trying to do some wild VIP fitment and want to shave and roll fenders as well as removing your fender liner. Not sure but Im sure you will need some work to make that fit in the front. I personally still dont understand why people get wheels that dont fit their car and kill themselves to get it to work. I understand aggressive offsets but there is beauty is a wheel that actually fits as well. To each his own. Good luck and post lots of pics.

The compromise with AWD is that you cant do staggered. I think the 255/30/22 on a 22x9" wheel is a solid set up

2010 LEXUS ISF / F Sport rear Sway Bar / Michelin PSS

The ISF......The perfect car for an enthusiast. It can be driven to the track, run hard all day , and then transport me hundreds of miles to home in luxury and comfort to pick up the wife for dinner and a movie....
I8ABMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-12, 11:55 PM   #5
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Lbintab

Actually what you can do is go with a company that can do custom offsets. Get a 22x9 front and rear but get lower offset in the rear to give it a staggered look.
Old 04-28-12, 12:09 AM   #6
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbintab View Post
Actually what you can do is go with a company that can do custom offsets. Get a 22x9 front and rear but get lower offset in the rear to give it a staggered look.
sounds like a plan as long as the custom wheels dont break the bank

The ISF......The perfect car for an enthusiast. It can be driven to the track, run hard all day , and then transport me hundreds of miles to home in luxury and comfort to pick up the wife for dinner and a movie....
Old 04-28-12, 02:08 AM   #7
LXurious
Lead Lap

Prometh600

From my understanding you can run staggered wheels as long as the diameters are similar. Such as 255/30/22 and 295/25/22 I believe it was?
LXurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-12, 02:56 AM   #8
PRSUIT460
Lexus Test Driver

cdwilliamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXurious View Post
From my understanding you can run staggered wheels as long as the diameters are similar. Such as 255/30/22 and 295/25/22 I believe it was?
Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference
255/30-22 3.0in 14.0in 28.0in 88.0in 720 0.0%
295/25-22 2.9in 13.9in 27.8in 87.4in 725 -0.8%

Chris W.
2007 Lexus LS 460
2013 Tundra Rock Warrior 500+HP
2011 Toyota Camry SE V6
PRSUIT460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-12, 11:18 AM   #9
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

245/30 is closer to the 295/25 in fact

Old 04-28-12, 12:19 PM   #10
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Lbintab

Quote:
Originally Posted by I8ABMR View Post
sounds like a plan as long as the custom wheels dont break the bank
In all honesty I think this is the best way to go. This will still allow you to rotate the tires so you can get the life out of your tires. To rotate though you'll have to pay to have the tires unmounted and remounted instead of just moving the wheels. Some of my sti and evo buddies do this

Old 04-28-12, 06:18 PM   #11
09LS460
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by I8ABMR View Post
The compromise with AWD is that you cant do staggered. I think the 255/30/22 on a 22x9" wheel is a solid set up
i concur with your thoughts on blowing a lot of time/money to make something work that doesn't but are you saying the reason that you cannot do staggered is because it will mess with the cars computer for the AWD system (not so much the suspension which was my initial concern)?

I'm barely wanting to spend the money on 22's, so going the custom wheel route is out....I do like the idea of being able to rotate the wheels/tires as one piece, but I also really like the concave look on the rear (do not like the deep dish lipped look on a car like the LS) so i may just have to get over the concave part if it means rotation capabilities....

Really the only things that I'm considering at this point are wheels, the exhaust, and whatever that device is that allows you to use the NAV if the car is moving......locked out features **** me off. I have to find the thread where it's mentioned, but I recall reading that someone had purchased one from overseas directly and saved themselves a chunk from the $300 that some US site was charging. How reliable the overseas site thing is is beyond me, but we'll see...
Old 04-28-12, 06:24 PM   #12
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Lbintab

I say you can run the vossen cv3's in a 22x9 and run a spacer in the rear. It'll still have a concave look maybe a 25mm spacer...but i'd measure it all first. That way you can still have an adjusted offset that's lower in the rear. and still actually have the same wheel front and rear so you can rotate. Winner winner chicken dinner right there. That's if you're ok with running a spacer.

Old 04-28-12, 06:27 PM   #13
09LS460
Rookie

Because I don't know better, what should be my concern with running a spacer?
Old 04-28-12, 06:57 PM   #14
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

ojay juice henry dutty juice

the concave is different with a wider rim so I doubt you will get that look you are looking for and 9.5 all around can be done.
Lextrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-12, 07:16 PM   #15
09LS460
Rookie

I'm not opposed to 9.5's all around.....and i realize I would be giving up the concave look......

The spacer on the rear would just be to push the wheel out to the fender edge, right? Is there an inherent problem with them functionally or just a preference thing?
Old 04-28-12, 07:16 PM

Tags
18, aftermarket, chrome, club, deep, dish, gs, issues, lexus, ls460l, market, rims, sale, tirerack, wheels