LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Brake Caliper Dress Up...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-12, 04:47 PM
PhatDad
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Caliper Dress Up...

So after reading about the G2 Brake Caliper Paint kit, I decided to give it a try. As explained here before, its a pretty simple process. Just need some room to work and a little time.

I decided to go with the black (instead of red) for a few reasons. First off I didn't want to keep explaining that they are just stock brakes that have been painted; secondly, I didn't want to take the focal point off the wheels and onto the brakes and third I just think it looks cleaner.

So here are a couple before and after shots.
Big thanks to Mikey100 for giving me the idea!
Attached Thumbnails Brake Caliper Dress Up...-front-1.jpg   Brake Caliper Dress Up...-front-2.jpg   Brake Caliper Dress Up...-front-4.jpg   Brake Caliper Dress Up...-rear-1.jpg  

Last edited by PhatDad; 04-18-12 at 04:52 PM.
Old 04-18-12, 04:51 PM
PhatDad
Driver

One more...
Attached Thumbnails Brake Caliper Dress Up...-front-3.jpg  
Old 04-18-12, 05:37 PM
GSP David
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

howd yo uget the lexus logo?
Old 04-18-12, 05:49 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GSP David
+1

Post up pics with the wheels on too!!
Old 04-18-12, 07:37 PM
rhedrich
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by adamls2
+1

Post up pics with the wheels on too!!
+ 1 1/2

is the logo a decal or is it painted stencil
Old 04-19-12, 06:06 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Looks good! I have the decals on my calipers as well adds a nice touch, I did it on my LS430 too few years ago.

Originally Posted by GSP David
Go to post #50 for details.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-thread-4.html
Old 04-19-12, 06:51 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Nice job. That came out nicely!
Old 04-19-12, 08:07 AM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PhatDad ..... you are most welcome !

And I'ld like to add that your post today, and your taking the time to compose this thread, is what makes Club Lexus so valuable. REALLY REALLY nice job and clear photos and good notes to go along with them.

If anyone wishes to read my original "HOW TO" on the G2 Brake caliper paint ....... which also includes 3 weblinks to How To videos .......

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...-calipers.html

Again, NICE JOB, PhatDad ! Thanks for sharing your Success !

Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Last edited by Mikey100; 05-07-12 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-19-12, 08:51 AM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i have the same hubcentric rings lol, black is the way to go i was thinking the same thing. im going to have to get some g2 paint..

Last edited by Lextrician; 04-19-12 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-19-12, 10:24 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I wonder if I can pay a tech at a dealership to do the work for me. It looks great. Very oem looking
Old 04-19-12, 12:03 PM
M K S
Lead Lap

That came out looking great.
Old 04-19-12, 01:46 PM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The G2 Caliper Paint process is easy. I detailed it for everyone. In TONS of detail. We might suggest that before you ask any questions, you READ my thread post about this and possibly read it twice. Remember: It takes 24 HOURS for the G2 paint to fully "cure" before the wheels can be re-attached. So asking someone/company/etc to do this simple task is gonna get expensive, when you're looking at tying up a service bay for 2 days. This wheel painting detail is a nice, actually FUN, afternoon project for virtually anyone.

However, if you still wanna take the easy way out, and know it won't last (The G2 System is as close to powder coating as you can get) you can always buy some masking tape, brake system cleaner and a can or two of VHT High Temperature spray paint cans @ Advance or AutoZone. It's your choice.

It does seem rather conflicted to me, however, to install a $3000 to $5000 set of Vossen wheels and new Bridgestone tires on an LS460, and THEN, knowing your calipers are gonna be seen (especially since people are GONNA NOW look "deep" into and "thru" your wheels) finish off your calipers in an hour using $5 worth of spray paint (because you're in a hurry).

This remark is NOT directed at anyone ...... but it's my humble opinion.

However, it's all good. And what makes America GREAT ==> Freedom of Choice. Y'all play nicely in the sandbox, now, y'hear ? !

Again, the detailed instructions are located here: And the overall cost is less than $ 40-42 (Paint, tape, EXTRA cleaner). This even tells you where to buy the G2 paint the cheapest.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...-calipers.html

Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA
Old 04-19-12, 10:09 PM
PhatDad
Driver

Thanks guys! Just trying to my little part and give back to this site that gives so much great info!

Thanks again Mickey100! You definitely put in work on this site. So far (because of your threads) I've replaced my front brakes with Akebono pads and did the caliper painting. Big props to you!!!

To answer a few questions: I got the decals off ebay. I just did a search for Lexus brake caliper stickers/decals and they came up. A couple others came up (different designs and curved) but decided on these because they looked the most factory to me.

I8ABMR- I don't think the dealer will do this. It's pretty easy, though. Just takes a couple hours. Where you at? Maybe I can help you out if you want.
Old 04-19-12, 11:29 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by PhatDad
Thanks guys! Just trying to my little part and give back to this site that gives so much great info!

Thanks again Mickey100! You definitely put in work on this site. So far (because of your threads) I've replaced my front brakes with Akebono pads and did the caliper painting. Big props to you!!!

To answer a few questions: I got the decals off ebay. I just did a search for Lexus brake caliper stickers/decals and they came up. A couple others came up (different designs and curved) but decided on these because they looked the most factory to me.

I8ABMR- I don't think the dealer will do this. It's pretty easy, though. Just takes a couple hours. Where you at? Maybe I can help you out if you want.

Thanks buddy, but I am out in Phoenix. It is something I know I could do but the down time is whats annoying. I was thinking if the dealership did it for me I would at least get a loaner car
Old 04-20-12, 03:06 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Props to Tee for the inspiration on the Lexus caliper logo mod...I have mine and just waiting for a good time to put them on! I have black calipers also and I think it helps make the logo really stand out

Originally Posted by Tee
Looks good! I have the decals on my calipers as well adds a nice touch, I did it on my LS430 too few years ago.

Go to post #50 for details.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-thread-4.html

Quick Reply: Brake Caliper Dress Up...