LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Introducing....me!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-12, 02:25 PM
SC2GS2LS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@lbintab: PM sent

Just some additional info that I'll likely be adding to other posts about wheels/tires. I went w/ Conti DWS (295/25/22 R and 265/35/22 F) and I have to say I'm loving them! Tires are smooth and offer great traction. I never thought riding on 22's would feel as comfortable as they do, and I thought for sure I'd be dodging everything in the road thats not smooth w/ a 25 series tires, but I gotta say, its really not that much different from the 19's and 35 series I had on my last car. I do admit these rims are taking some getting used to since its polished ALL THE WAY to the edge (scary!) and any slight mishap will be some heartache, but all in all, great combination so far. I've been having to do some sharp U-turns in and around my neighborhood and was expecting some rub but haven't heard/felt it yet! SWEET!

That was one of my fears after reading about some other's experiences w/ 265 up front, so not sure exactly what the difference is in my setup, but I'm pretty happy that I don't have any of the issues (yet). Would there be a difference w/ coilovers vs. springs and the particular ride height?

One thing that is different for sure but dunno if this changes anything is that my CV1's are not in the standard bolt pattern sold to most Lexus owners. Vossen ran out of the standard 5 x 120 for the front and would have taken an unspecified amount of time for them to get more in the correct bolt pattern, so California Wheels did some custom work so that it would fit. According to the guys there, my front wheels were 5 x 112 w/ a +32mm offset, whereas the direct bolt on is a +30 offset. There's a difference of 2mm there but not sure that if that changes anything as that is not a big amount of space by any means. I'm not the most knowledgeable in suspension/wheel setups and the exact science behind it, so anyone w/ more info could chime in here and clarify things. The rears are standard 5 x 120 w/ +38mm offset so those were direct bolt ons.

Last edited by SC2GS2LS; 04-02-12 at 04:02 PM.
Old 04-02-12, 04:09 PM
Enigma869
Driver

I'm not much of a mod guy, but your car looks superb. Black is always the right color (especially when freshly waxed).

John
Old 04-02-12, 08:24 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

are you using a 265/30 in front. Looks a little thicker than a 245/30. Any rubbing with the drop
Old 04-02-12, 09:29 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I noticed when test fitting my wheels that in the front there is not a lot of space with that control arm in there but 265, 255, 245 seem to be the right size with the smaller tire giving more room into an already tight area. 2mm will not cause any issue unless you were already close.. car looks great!
Old 04-02-12, 10:19 PM
AKoch
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hm, may be I should reconsider and grab the local black/black LS? Ah, looking at the pictures makes it tempting but better to continue hunting, sooner or later one in beige/white will come by.
Old 04-02-12, 11:49 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SC2GS2LS
@lbintab: PM sent

Just some additional info that I'll likely be adding to other posts about wheels/tires. I went w/ Conti DWS (295/25/22 R and 265/35/22 F) and I have to say I'm loving them! Tires are smooth and offer great traction. I never thought riding on 22's would feel as comfortable as they do, and I thought for sure I'd be dodging everything in the road thats not smooth w/ a 25 series tires, but I gotta say, its really not that much different from the 19's and 35 series I had on my last car. I do admit these rims are taking some getting used to since its polished ALL THE WAY to the edge (scary!) and any slight mishap will be some heartache, but all in all, great combination so far. I've been having to do some sharp U-turns in and around my neighborhood and was expecting some rub but haven't heard/felt it yet! SWEET!

That was one of my fears after reading about some other's experiences w/ 265 up front, so not sure exactly what the difference is in my setup, but I'm pretty happy that I don't have any of the issues (yet). Would there be a difference w/ coilovers vs. springs and the particular ride height?

One thing that is different for sure but dunno if this changes anything is that my CV1's are not in the standard bolt pattern sold to most Lexus owners. Vossen ran out of the standard 5 x 120 for the front and would have taken an unspecified amount of time for them to get more in the correct bolt pattern, so California Wheels did some custom work so that it would fit. According to the guys there, my front wheels were 5 x 112 w/ a +32mm offset, whereas the direct bolt on is a +30 offset. There's a difference of 2mm there but not sure that if that changes anything as that is not a big amount of space by any means. I'm not the most knowledgeable in suspension/wheel setups and the exact science behind it, so anyone w/ more info could chime in here and clarify things. The rears are standard 5 x 120 w/ +38mm offset so those were direct bolt ons.
Hmm I wonder what they did to mount 5x112s on a 5x120 hub... Adapters maybe? And maybe that's why it doesn't rub? But that would also mean that the offset would have been something high like a 50 something so adapters could fit...hmmm
Old 04-03-12, 12:21 AM
SC2GS2LS
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, not sure exactly what was done. It was explained to me but I guess I really didn't grasp the whole concept and should have them show me visually next time I'm down there. I do know that I'm not rubbing at all though w/ the 265's on front as I've been doing slow tight U-turns in the middle of the street and I don't hear/feel anything. On on/off-ramps, I've been coming in a little hot just to see if I can feel the rub but I really have not been able to notice at all. I'll definitely keep my eye on the tires and the inner fender well to see if I can see visual signs but so far, the setup seems pretty solid.
Old 04-03-12, 02:50 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Awesome look!!!! yup CJITTY's EGO is gonna get waaaaay outta control... i hear tell "Chicks Love His Car!!" so you'll get plenty of looks...

Congrats & Welcome to CL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-03-12, 05:42 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

265/35 or 265/30?? I assume you meant 265/30. I rubbed on the control arm a little and the outer fender with 265/30 conti dws tires..had to fall back to 245/30 dws up front..next tire will be 255/30 up front..stupid conti dws does not come in 255 FTMFL
Old 04-03-12, 06:18 PM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lbintab
Hmm I wonder what they did to mount 5x112s on a 5x120 hub... Adapters maybe? And maybe that's why it doesn't rub? But that would also mean that the offset would have been something high like a 50 something so adapters could fit...hmmm
they were probably redrilled the hub if you're not running adapters -- it's cheap, quick, and easy
Old 04-03-12, 11:22 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
265/35 or 265/30?? I assume you meant 265/30. I rubbed on the control arm a little and the outer fender with 265/30 conti dws tires..had to fall back to 245/30 dws up front..next tire will be 255/30 up front..stupid conti dws does not come in 255 FTMFL
I had the contis with a 245/30 but I thought it was to thin. The 255 looks better and fills the wheel wells out better. The only issue is that you have to go with another brand. I went with the pirellis because they have decent tread life, they ride quietly and they are cheaper
Old 04-04-12, 06:29 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

I went with the Kumho Ecsta ASX KU21 Front: 255/30/22 & Rear: 295/25/22, love them! They are quiet, ride smooth and geat tread life.
Old 04-04-12, 10:18 AM
SC2GS2LS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Yeah, sorry, they are 265/30. I noticed the first bit of rub on the inner edge of the right fender well (close to the top front edge). Its only on the right though so thinking its a driveway issue and not something that I need to worry about while driving on roads. I don't hear or feel any rubbing on the front control arms though as you described in your PM, but wondering how its possible since you were getting it running the same tire size. Hmmmm....anyone know if the difference between springs and coilovers here would factor in on the rubbing on the control arm?
Old 04-09-12, 10:57 AM
SC2GS2LS
Driver School Candidate

Anyone ever remove the plastic fender trim inserts in the front? I'm thinking about taking them off to avoid the driveway rub issue but not sure if I'm going to have to roll the fenders after to make sure the tire doesn't get harmed if the inside lip isn't already tapered upwards.
Old 04-09-12, 11:46 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by SC2GS2LS
Yeah, sorry, they are 265/30. I noticed the first bit of rub on the inner edge of the right fender well (close to the top front edge). Its only on the right though so thinking its a driveway issue and not something that I need to worry about while driving on roads. I don't hear or feel any rubbing on the front control arms though as you described in your PM, but wondering how its possible since you were getting it running the same tire size. Hmmmm....anyone know if the difference between springs and coilovers here would factor in on the rubbing on the control arm?
I am not sure, but when i hit hard dips, I could clearly hear racoons in my fender!! LOL. I do know that the fender liner trim piece (the shiny black plastic part) was completely flattened to the shape of the tire, so I know I was rubbing on that part and a little on the front fender liners and I knew I was rubbing on the control arm as well because the tire had a consistent abrasion on the inside edge from it...I was already concerned because I slid a credit card between the tire and the control arm and could barely move it from side to side..so we are talking one or two mm's of clearance..not good. If the wheels were maybe 32 or 33 offset instead of 35, it would of helped a great deal. So, I went to 245s up front. My next tire will be 255, which is the best size to go with because it meets the load rating index I should have at 95, vs 92 for the 245s. Continental fkn up by skipping over the 255/30 size in the DWS style tire FTMFL. I am going with a directional or symmetrical tire next time around so I can flip them to maximize tire wear with my Tanabe drop I have

Quick Reply: Introducing....me!