LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Could my engine be burning oil?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-12, 08:25 AM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spotnsabby
I'm having problems with my 07 ls460l using oil, 92500 miles on car. Just got it checked out by the Lexus dealership and i used .6 of a quart at 1000 miles!! I was very upset when the service writer said the car could use 1 quart per 1000 miles. This is BS and i will not own a car that does. I have spoken with the dealership manager and he will be calling extra care. Now i have to tahe the car in ever 1000 miles to doucument this. I told him if a change oil over 5k then the car would burn 3 quarts in between oil changes. This is 33% of the oil capacity. I'll have to wait and see.
WOW. Someone got upset.

Ya better know your Service Adviser gave you the straight scoop, directly from Lexus engineering specifications. PERIOD ! It's too bad its not the answer you wanted nor desired.

You wrote ...... "This is BS and i will not own a car that does." Therefore, please be prepared to sell your Lexus. Or check your facts more closely first. Your choice.

Mike Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Last edited by Mikey100; 08-13-12 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-13-12, 09:42 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by diagtime
all ls460's consume oil. this is normal. looser piston ring tension creates better power and fuel economy. also allows blow by. it's a good thing. also helps engine longevity. it's a lesson from the german playbook. 1/2 quart of oil out of 9.1 quarts of oil. you're good to go. your engine is healthy.
WOW, 9.1 quarts of oil! That's a lot of oil. I have had other cars "burn" oil but I don't think they were supposed to... lol

Is this common to the 460's and not so much on the 430 or 400's? My 400 does not appear to burn a drop at 70K miles. I hope you don't mind me dropping in on this side. Hopefully one day I will be able to afford a 460 or 600 but for now my 400 is doing great.
Old 01-27-13, 09:43 PM
SC4Hundred
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

430 seems to be okay and did not consume so much oil and bullet prove, I just found that 460 consumes a little oil, I don't think it is a big problem. However, if I don't care about better power and fuel economy, could I use 5w-30 instead of the 0w-20 or 5w-20, would it consume less oil? Anybody try that before? Also, My L/C uses 5w-30, so I always have some 5w-30 @ home.

Last edited by SC4Hundred; 01-28-13 at 10:20 PM.
Old 05-09-14, 02:01 PM
2008gs460
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to bump this thread as I have a 2008 GS 460 which has the same motor as the 2007/2008 LS 460, its the 1UR-FSE. I've owned the car since about 20K and always have done 5K oil changes on it.

I just crossed 110K on mine and noticed that of the 9.5 or so qt I put in, I only got out about 6+ or so. I note that the low oil indicator alarms at a bit less than 5qt. So not terrible consumption, but, noteworthy. I've not really been keeping track of it on previous changes, so I cannot tell you if its a new thing or if its been doing this all along.

Curious if others with this engine are seeing similar usage. For the record, I'm using Pennzoil Ultra 5w-20.
Old 05-09-14, 06:35 PM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by adamls2
Like said it's pretty common. Usually performance engines are known to burn up more oil. My last G35 was horrible burning away so much oil.
I'd be careful with Infiniti's and even more so with Nissan. It seems reliability has taken a hit since Renault came in the mix. Vq engines before that were quite bulletproof and were not known to burn any oil even with high miles (200,000+).
Old 05-12-14, 01:21 PM
NobleSpine
Rookie

I had "Low Oil" flash once today on my 2007 LS460L, it has been 3 months since my last service and only around 3500 miles driven, should I wait for more flashings on take it to the dealer?
Old 05-13-14, 01:28 PM
2008gs460
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NobleSpine
I had "Low Oil" flash once today on my 2007 LS460L, it has been 3 months since my last service and only around 3500 miles driven, should I wait for more flashings on take it to the dealer?
The 460 engine that we have has 9.5 qts. Low oil turns on when you are below 5 qts so if it comes on and then goes away you're right on 5qts. You probably should add oil. I bet you need to add nearly 4 qts to get it to show up on the dipstick.

Now, since it takes 9.5 qts, this is a lot of oil and I suspected when my low oil went off they may have only filled it with 6qts rather than 9.5. This happened at 93500 on my engine. Since then, I've been trending it and I really am going through 1 qt every 1200-1500 miles. I moved to 5w-20 from the 0w-20 (both are ok for our engines) to get the 1200-1500 mile number, I think consumption was significantly higher with the 0w-20.

If they did give you 9.5 qts, from others I've talked to with the 460 1UR-FSE engine (3 people now), this may be expected behavor from these engines as they get up in miles and doesn't really indicate anything catastrophic about to happen with them.

Curious how many miles you have on it and is this the first time you got the low oil indication?
Old 05-13-14, 01:56 PM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 2008gs460
The 460 engine that we have has 9.5 qts. Low oil turns on when you are below 5 qts so if it comes on and then goes away you're right on 5qts. You probably should add oil. I bet you need to add nearly 4 qts to get it to show up on the dipstick.

Now, since it takes 9.5 qts, this is a lot of oil and I suspected when my low oil went off they may have only filled it with 6qts rather than 9.5. This happened at 93500 on my engine. Since then, I've been trending it and I really am going through 1 qt every 1200-1500 miles. I moved to 5w-20 from the 0w-20 (both are ok for our engines) to get the 1200-1500 mile number, I think consumption was significantly higher with the 0w-20.

If they did give you 9.5 qts, from others I've talked to with the 460 1UR-FSE engine (3 people now), this may be expected behavor from these engines as they get up in miles and doesn't really indicate anything catastrophic about to happen with them.

Curious how many miles you have on it and is this the first time you got the low oil indication?
Maybe the same piston ring issue described in this video, affects some v8 engines as well. Someone on clublexus recently posted how they had the dealership replace faulty prison rings on their LS 460. There's was also prone to oil consumption.
Old 05-13-14, 02:53 PM
2008gs460
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Pamperme
Maybe the same piston ring issue described in this video, affects some v8 engines as well. Someone on clublexus recently posted how they had the dealership replace faulty prison rings on their LS 460. There's was also prone to oil consumption.
Lexus GS & IS Engine Misfire Recall CSP (Repair Video) - YouTube
Negative for me. My engine is smooth as silk. Power is fantastic and if I wasn't doing my own oil changes, I probably never would have thought anything was wrong.

Did spark plugs at 105K and they looked great too, no residue or fouling or anything on them though I don't know in a modern engine with 50K volts if it wouldn't just burn up everything in its path anyways.

I'm at 110K on the car now, I'm getting the best MPGs that I've ever got on it which is easily offsetting a few qts between 5K intervals. Go figure.
Old 05-13-14, 05:19 PM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Negative for me. My engine is smooth as silk. Power is fantastic and if I wasn't doing my own oil changes, I probably never would have thought anything was wrong.

Did spark plugs at 105K and they looked great too, no residue or fouling or anything on them though I don't know in a modern engine with 50K volts if it wouldn't just burn up everything in its path anyways.

I'm at 110K on the car now, I'm getting the best MPGs that I've ever got on it which is easily offsetting a few qts between 5K intervals. Go figure.
The ls460 that had an oil burning issue didn't report a misfire feel either. Maybe the
V8 engines have different symptoms but the same problem: bad piston rings. It's worth looking into, cause someone on here with their ls460 has already gotten their's fixed for free.
Old 05-14-14, 12:06 PM
NobleSpine
Rookie

I have 85K miles on the car. Dealer has examined and mentioned no oil left, so they are going to top off and want me to come back after 1200 miles. Service adviser made suggestion that issue may be related to piston rings etc, but they want to test first.

Unrelated to this, I have noticed some noise when driving on rough roads, dealer examined and want to replace control arms, which is covered under the extended warranty. But they have to wait for the Lexus inspector to come in and approve as it is $4k repairs.

I am hoping both issues gets resolved before my extended warranty expires.
Old 05-14-14, 01:41 PM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NobleSpine
I have 85K miles on the car. Dealer has examined and mentioned no oil left, so they are going to top off and want me to come back after 1200 miles. Service adviser made suggestion that issue may be related to piston rings etc, but they want to test first.

Unrelated to this, I have noticed some noise when driving on rough roads, dealer examined and want to replace control arms, which is covered under the extended warranty. But they have to wait for the Lexus inspector to come in and approve as it is $4k repairs.

I am hoping both issues gets resolved before my extended warranty expires.
Is it the actual control arms or just the bushings? Either way Lexus should replace the control arms in case they've been damaged from worn out bushings.

Generally speaking though, what is it with all of these control arm issues? Were they defective and subsequently revised with a redesigned update to address whatever the issue is with these control arms?
Old 05-19-14, 10:22 AM
NobleSpine
Rookie

Is it the actual control arms or just the bushings? Either way Lexus should replace the control arms in case they've been damaged from worn out bushings.

Generally speaking though, what is it with all of these control arm issues? Were they defective and subsequently revised with a redesigned update to address whatever the issue is with these control arms?
It is control arms issue apparently. Front upper and lower control arms were replaced, $3600 value covered under extended warranty.
Old 07-10-14, 08:32 PM
2008gs460
Driver School Candidate

The ls460 that had an oil burning issue didn't report a misfire feel either. Maybe the
V8 engines have different symptoms but the same problem: bad piston rings. It's worth looking into, cause someone on here with their ls460 has already gotten their's fixed for free.
Well you inspired me to get it checked out and it turned into quite the debacle so far... I just posted this today in the GS forum, but, let me paste it here too:

So I took my GS 460 into Putnam Lexus for an oil consumption test at Lexus Corporate's suggestion. Oil consumption test came back with 1.9 qts burned in 1200 miles. I think they may have overfilled it too, but whatever, that's what the number came out to. This started when the car had 93K on it (I told them I could have the shop where I take my car write a letter) and the consumption test started a bit before 110K.

After the test the dealer calls me and says, "Your car is exceeding the factory specs for consumption, there is definately a problem, we need to tear down the engine to figure out where the oil is going. Do you approve the charges?" I say, nope, I have the extended warranty which runs out 1/20/2015 or ~120K miles (according to my extended warranty application, more on this later).

I asked if they need maintenence records on the car or any further documentation from me (I don't have the dealer do the servicing of the car) and Putnam Lexus says, I've seen these cases before and Lexus is more interested in maintaining goodwill (side note: I'm 37, have bought 4 lexus' in the past and have a lifetime of purchases ahead of me, hopefully!) so he doubts this will be a big deal and they will be able to take care of it quickly once everyone at Lexus is sync'd up.

So my car sits at Putnam for a week and then I get the call: Lexus is dening goodwill and if you want to talk to someone call the 800 number and open a case. What about the warranty I purchased I say? The car is out of warranty he says and you can talk to you case manager about that too. Oh we prefer you return our rental car today.

Wow.

So I call the 800 number, wait 3 days (standard policy) for someone to return my call despite the fact that there is a case open on the issue. Judy at Lexus calls me back and was quite standoffish, unhelpful in every way. Later, she even closed my case 2 times after without any sort of resolution! One time she transfered me to the Lexus Care 800 number, hung up and closed my case without any sort of information about next steps. I reopened the case and her "supervisor" calls me back because I requested escalation (I didn't) didn't really answer anything or was willing to write anything down and told me to call Extra Care and Coliseum Lexus and then closed my case again!

Bottom line on denial is this:
Lexus Care changed the dates/mileages on the application and never calls me to say anything about it. Neither they or Coliseum Lexus confirms those changes with me, nor did I ever get their booklet that evidently shows the changes. However, they are now holding me to the dates/mileages that they changed things to?

I've now talked with the GM at Coliseum Lexus where I purchased the car and he is going to go back to Lexus Care to see what they have to say about it. He says the documentation is ambiguous, confusing and is "relieved that this is their problem to solve and not his".

I'm going to see this through to some sort of resolution as I don't appreciate being treated this way, especially by Lexus Corporate. They could really write a case study on this situation to show how to alienate a customer and kill goodwill built up over the better part of 15 years in less than 1 week. Well done Lexus!

I'll update this thread when the next communication comes through, wish me luck.

Read more: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...#ixzz377ugVSQD
Old 07-11-14, 11:17 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Pretty much my experience with Lexus "customer care". Some young girl on the other end of the phone states "we respectfully decline your request". I felt like telling her "then I will respectfully decline to purchase another Lexus vehicle". You'd think they'd take a look at my history...... 4 Lexus vehicles over 22 years (not including my Toyotas), thousands of additional dollars in service, maintenance and repairs, and some kid blows me off.

Way to go, Lexus (sorry, Toyota)!

Quick Reply: Could my engine be burning oil?