LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Dealer charge for tire pressure monitor reset?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-12, 04:24 PM
brianlin87
Resident JDM Snob

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey100
The one single thing any rational, sane-thinking man should take from this is simply this:

Ya just CANNOT beat DISCOUNT TIRE !!!!!!
Wow, I have never heard someone ever endorse Discount Tire like that. I have to assume the Discount Tire out there is FAR different from the Discount Tire we have over here.

The one single thing any rational, sane-thinking man in Southern CA would do is this: keep shopping and never look back

I wouldn't let any employee at Discount Tire anywhere near my wheels, tires, lug nuts, tpms....ANYTHING for that matter.
Old 03-21-12, 04:34 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 282 Posts

We don't have Discount Tire here. But most high volume tire places have learned to satisfactorily deal with luxury cars. Even lower end cars usually have expensive wheels that won't tolerate the old "bar around the rim" tire removal equipment.
Old 03-21-12, 04:44 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by daryll40
We don't have Discount Tire here. But most high volume tire places have learned to satisfactorily deal with luxury cars. Even lower end cars usually have expensive wheels that won't tolerate the old "bar around the rim" tire removal equipment.
Discount Tire is also known as America's Tire Company in a few states just in case
Old 03-21-12, 11:03 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by brianlin87
Wow, I have never heard someone ever endorse Discount Tire like that. I have to assume the Discount Tire out there is FAR different from the Discount Tire we have over here.

The one single thing any rational, sane-thinking man in Southern CA would do is this: keep shopping and never look back

I wouldn't let any employee at Discount Tire anywhere near my wheels, tires, lug nuts, tpms....ANYTHING for that matter.
I would also have to back discount tire. I have never had better service. The people are polite, helpful, and they back their work. If there is an issue with anything they will always make it right. I live in AZ and have been to a discount tire in CA to get my mom new tires for her car and I would agree the shop in LA didnt feel like the ones we have here in AZ
Old 03-22-12, 08:44 AM
slam_w2k
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tirs shop can't reprogram LS?

I just went to my local tire shop to swap in a tire with a different sensor that's already mounted. They try to reprogram it but said the sensor is good, but their tool can't talk to the LS? Do they need special tool to talk to the LS? Anyone in NJ know where I can get in reprogram?
Old 03-22-12, 10:43 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by slam_w2k
I just went to my local tire shop to swap in a tire with a different sensor that's already mounted. They try to reprogram it but said the sensor is good, but their tool can't talk to the LS? Do they need special tool to talk to the LS? Anyone in NJ know where I can get in reprogram?
The NJ Lexus dealership of your choice... I don't know if this is still 100% the case, but at least until recently, the only way to program different TPMS sensor IDs into the TPMS computer on a Lexus was through the diagnostic port using Lexus' computer.
Old 03-22-12, 10:58 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by slam_w2k
The Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems were mandated by the NHTSA for all new cars sold in the US beginning with the 2008 models. Although there was no mandated standard and there are lots of variations, nearly all major tire shops can load the sensor IDs into cars including the Lexus LS models. Sam's Club and Costco can probably do it. If you prefer that a dealership do this for you then try a Toyota dealership as they will certainly charge less than a Lexus dealer.
Old 03-22-12, 12:47 PM
caha14
Racer

Originally Posted by jmcraney
The Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems were mandated by the NHTSA for all new cars sold in the US beginning with the 2008 models. Although there was no mandated standard and there are lots of variations, nearly all major tire shops can load the sensor IDs into cars including the Lexus LS models. Sam's Club and Costco can probably do it. If you prefer that a dealership do this for you then try a Toyota dealership as they will certainly charge less than a Lexus dealer.
This is good to know. Several years ago, not only did you need the dealership to program the IDs into the computer, but also, you had to break the tire assemblies to manually read the sensor IDs if you did not have them available. Later on, Toyota/Lexus sensor IDs could actually be read without having to break into the tire assembly, but still could not be programmed onto the computer outside the dealership. So, it is huge progress to be able to do this elsewhere.

My personal favorites are the programmable TPMS sensors that can be "cloned" to the IDs of the original sensors on the car, completely eliminating the need for this step (and the programming/reprogramming dance for winter/summer wheels). I found one or two mfrs that make these and believe I even read about one of them in this forum. It's a particularly nice feature to have, given that someone had the brilliant idea to only allow storage of one set of IDs at a time on the LS's TPMS computer (i.e., no "A/B" switch)!

Last edited by caha14; 03-22-12 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-22-12, 04:52 PM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by caha14
This is good to know. Several years ago, not only did you need the dealership to program the IDs into the computer, but also, you had to break the tire assemblies to manually read the sensor IDs if you did not have them available. Later on, Toyota/Lexus sensor IDs could actually be read without having to break into the tire assembly, but still could not be programmed onto the computer outside the dealership. So, it is huge progress to be able to do this elsewhere.

My personal favorites are the programmable TPMS sensors that can be "cloned" to the IDs of the original sensors on the car, completely eliminating the need for this step (and the programming/reprogramming dance for winter/summer wheels). I found one or two mfrs that make these and believe I even read about one of them in this forum. It's a particularly nice feature to have, given that someone had the brilliant idea to only allow storage of one set of IDs at a time on the LS's TPMS computer (i.e., no "A/B" switch)!
Yup! Orange TPMS company can clone oem sensor IDs..I should of had them send me a cloned set so I could swap my stocks at home very easily for road trips! Set runs about $160 iirc last time I called Orange..discount does it for free so its all good
Old 03-23-12, 07:27 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I would also have to back discount tire. I have never had better service. The people are polite, helpful, and they back their work. If there is an issue with anything they will always make it right. I live in AZ and have been to a discount tire in CA to get my mom new tires for her car and I would agree the shop in LA didnt feel like the ones we have here in AZ
The Mesa, AZ Discount Tire broke my center cap, promised to replace it and never did. I will never to business with them again. Very shoddy, horrible shop that also tried to rip off my daughter. They can't even come close to Costco for quality work.
Old 03-23-12, 08:17 AM
CJITTY

Been dealing with Discount Tire for 20 years! Never an issue..did you call regional manager? If not, that would of been resolved pretty easily
Old 03-25-12, 09:32 AM
edarte
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the first I have heard about cloned sensors and I would like to get a set. However, I checked out Orange but, at least from my read of their site application guide, they only supply up to the 2010 model year LS. Can anyone provide info on a manufacturer who does have cloneable sensors for 2011?
Old 03-25-12, 10:52 AM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by edarte
This is the first I have heard about cloned sensors and I would like to get a set. However, I checked out Orange but, at least from my read of their site application guide, they only supply up to the 2010 model year LS. Can anyone provide info on a manufacturer who does have cloneable sensors for 2011?
May have to do a little homework ..verify if the 2011 OEM part numbers are different than the 2007-2010..if same..then call Orange back and tell them you have a 2010
Old 03-25-12, 11:11 AM
caha14
Racer

Originally Posted by CJITTY
May have to do a little homework ..verify if the 2011 OEM part numbers are different than the 2007-2010..if same..then call Orange back and tell them you have a 2010
You beat me to it

I checked Sewell earlier, and they show the same part number, 2007-2012 LS460.

Probably worthwhile to call Orange anyway; those application guides are not always kept up to date.
Old 03-26-12, 11:13 AM
edarte
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You beat me to it

I checked Sewell earlier, and they show the same part number, 2007-2012 LS460.

Probably worthwhile to call Orange anyway; those application guides are not always kept up to date.
Thanks guys.

I did consider the possibility that perhaps the Orange application guide was just not current for 2011. However I do see that other manufactures (e.g., Audi) has specific entries for 2011 and thus suspected something might have changed with the LS sensors for 2011. I do know that the warnings you get when driving without the sensors are slightly different in the 2011 from the 2009. On the 2011 it does flash the warning after driving without the sensors for about 30 miles but you no longer loose the central info display you just get a yellow tire symbol on the display.

Anyway, I have emailed Orange to see if the sensors are available for 2011. Will post their response.

Quick Reply: Dealer charge for tire pressure monitor reset?