LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

K&N Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-12, 09:12 PM
XCLSVELS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N Air Filter

Whats up Lexus enthusiast I need your input! Is it worth getting k&n air filters? Does someone have them on there LS? Thanks guys
Old 03-12-12, 09:20 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont have an LS but I do have a K&N not for performance but for economy. One filter for life of car, good value all in all. Done it in all my cars. My last truck an 02 Envoy had one from new and I sold it with 250K on it. Did not seem to do any harm to that motor.

What you are going to find is that many will say they are awsome and others will say "more air equals more dirt" bottom line is no engine has ever been shown to fail because of the filter and if you oil it properly you will never have a problem with your MAF sensor. Some will tell you they have, but I say user error.

The bottom line for me was I will save a couple hundred bucks on air filter and create a little less waste for the landfills. Do what feels right for you.
Old 03-13-12, 07:28 AM
XCLSVELS
Rookie

Originally Posted by InRBigness
I dont have an LS but I do have a K&N not for performance but for economy. One filter for life of car, good value all in all. Done it in all my cars. My last truck an 02 Envoy had one from new and I sold it with 250K on it. Did not seem to do any harm to that motor.

What you are going to find is that many will say they are awsome and others will say "more air equals more dirt" bottom line is no engine has ever been shown to fail because of the filter and if you oil it properly you will never have a problem with your MAF sensor. Some will tell you they have, but I say user error.

The bottom line for me was I will save a couple hundred bucks on air filter and create a little less waste for the landfills. Do what feels right for you.

Thanks InRBigness Ill give it a shot to see what happens, I had a k&n filter on my Acura legend and it worked well. Its just with this car everything could be sensitive, im happy with it. Im averaging 26 MPG on the highway and im a cruiser.
Old 03-13-12, 08:53 AM
PeachyKeen
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If what you're referring to is a filter replacement, and not a Cold Air Kit, then you will probably see little to no gain. I know that with other vehicles, I've seen someone put in a brand new K&N replacement filter (pre-oiled from K&N) and also a brand new Fram air filter, and actually see more power with the Fram. I used to be big on K&N, but not so much anymore. If we're talking about a well designed CAK, then that's a different story and there's more to it than just a filter. None of these things are going to give you a significant increase in mileage or performance. CAKs can vary depending on the car, and such. I don't even know what is or isn't available for the LS460 in that regard.
Old 03-13-12, 09:08 AM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Lots of info on this if you search the threads. Bottom line, is it worth possibly messing up the MAF sensor by over oiling?

Stick to OEM, clean/replace the filter regularly and you will be happy.
Old 03-13-12, 09:42 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusnutt
Lots of info on this if you search the threads. Bottom line, is it worth possibly messing up the MAF sensor by over oiling?

Stick to OEM, clean/replace the filter regularly and you will be happy.
I agree, stick with the factory filters, not worth taking a chance on the mass air flow sensor. K&N filters also let too much dirt into the engine in my opinion. I'm not a fan of K&N filters.
Old 03-13-12, 10:57 AM
Jasoneo5
Lexus Test Driver

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

x3 Factory Filters are pretty cheap, and don't have that horrible reputation that many would say K&N do
Old 03-13-12, 12:11 PM
XCLSVELS
Rookie

Im not trying to make my car a super gas saver lol, but was wondering about it and yes they make k&n air filters for the LS 460 part # 33-2381 and it costs $49.99, and theres no air intakes for our cars either!
Old 03-13-12, 12:59 PM
brianlin87
Resident JDM Snob

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I actually have the K&N filters on my car and as with all other filters, just stay on top of the maintenance of it.
Old 03-13-12, 04:10 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

I have a pair in mine! Working out great!
Old 03-13-12, 06:20 PM
kbinfl
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2 Air filters

Remember everyone...the LS460 has 2 air filters!! I didn't know this the first time I went to change the filter on my last LS. Luckily I purchased 2 from Rock Auto.
Old 03-13-12, 07:22 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

So for those saying a K&N filter doesn't help, do you have dyno results or some kind of proof to back up your statement? I know I gained a couple MPGs (it appears) because the computer stated a 2-3 mpg more based on taking the same exact road trip as pre-K&N...I know this is not scientific results by any means, but for those saying they simply don't work..what are you basing that on? I have had K&Ns in all my cars and every single one of them never had an issue with messing up sensors or anything. I do agree that improper re-oiling can be an issue, but the clean and replace steps are really elementary but folks still f it up somehow
Old 03-13-12, 08:36 PM
stas2007
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm considering I take 400 mile road trips every other weekend, i might invest on some knn,
Do these add at least a little better engine noise or throttle response?
Old 03-14-12, 08:58 AM
XCLSVELS
Rookie

Originally Posted by CJITTY
So for those saying a K&N filter doesn't help, do you have dyno results or some kind of proof to back up your statement? I know I gained a couple MPGs (it appears) because the computer stated a 2-3 mpg more based on taking the same exact road trip as pre-K&N...I know this is not scientific results by any means, but for those saying they simply don't work..what are you basing that on? I have had K&Ns in all my cars and every single one of them never had an issue with messing up sensors or anything. I do agree that improper re-oiling can be an issue, but the clean and replace steps are really elementary but folks still f it up somehow

Thank you! Does anyone have dyno results like he said here! I just did an oil change and put the stock air filters in, but for the next time I will put K&N filters in to see! Thank you
Old 03-14-12, 09:15 AM
brianlin87
Resident JDM Snob

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I actually did a dyno after I installed my PTS JoeZ exhaust on; after the exhaust install, I slapped the filters on and gained approximately 2hp. Without getting into the details of the SAE/STD etc, the hp gain is nothing noticeable, but the fact of the matter is that it's there.

Quick Reply: K&N Air Filter