LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Engine issues

Old 02-14-12, 06:42 PM
Grisik
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine issues

I had the ecu update done a month ago and the car runs worse now than did before. It lacks power on hills. While going up hills it shakes lightly for some reason and woun't give me the power it should. Anyone else had a similar issue ?
I'm also using more oil than I think I should. Used 2 qts between 5k changes. Used mobile 1 0w-20. Going to try extended use 5w-20 next time.
Both issues are concerning me and any input is appreciated.
Old 02-14-12, 07:13 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

u still under warranty??? burning oil is probably not good since this not a complaint that i am aware off with the ls

Last edited by Lextrician; 02-15-12 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-14-12, 07:41 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Take it back to the dealer get the ECU reflashed and have them look at your oil issue.
Old 02-14-12, 07:55 PM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Grisik
I had the ecu update done a month ago and the car runs worse now than did before. It lacks power on hills. While going up hills it shakes lightly for some reason and woun't give me the power it should. Anyone else had a similar issue ?
I'm also using more oil than I think I should. Used 2 qts between 5k changes. Used mobile 1 0w-20. Going to try extended use 5w-20 next time.
Both issues are concerning me and any input is appreciated.
Hello. I read your post with deep interest. It is my opinion, as really GOOD Lexus Service Advisor would feel your pain and be willing to at least work with you on this issue. Because what you described in just not characteristic of a "normal" Lexus.

You go on to write you are using oil. Using virtually ANY OIL IS NOT CHARACTERISTIC ! For an LS to be using 1 quart in 5K miles says something is not operating correctly. 2 quarts says something far more serious is going on. And I really feel if you cure this (oil usage), THEN your engine will allow your car to 'drive' properly. If you do not feel "good" about your Service Adviser, ask the dealer receptionist WHO is rated #` in her opinion. Do it nicely and she'l tell you ... and then use him. AND ....... If your dealer is not an Elite Dealer, because of the seriousness of this, it's my opinion you might want to use an "Elite" rated dealer, regardless of the travel-time.

Good Luck to you. Please continue to let us know how this working out for you. And if you are in a "warmer" climate, you can easily use 5-20W for all oil changes, regardless of season. My Elite dealer only uses 5-20W on LS460 oil changes (in Georgia).

The viscosity of the oil in your engine is not the cause of your problem. You have something far more serious going on. Good Luck getting to the bottom of this quickly.

Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA
Old 02-15-12, 03:45 AM
Grisik
Rookie

I am still under warranty since the VSR was done. I have 68k on it so I'm good for another 7000 miles with the warranty. It's after the 75k that concerns me. Thanks for some good information and any additional would be appreciated. I'll keep you informed.
Old 02-15-12, 05:47 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Since you had VSR, your warranty is good til 100k buddy
Old 02-15-12, 06:33 AM
Grisik
Rookie

I called for an appointment and I'm a bit concerned. Advisor said 1 qt of oil consumed per thousand miles is standard. Maybe with ford or Chevy its standard, not with Lexus. He agreed to do a compression test and a consumption test. Any other test anyone can think of?
Old 02-15-12, 06:36 AM
Grisik
Rookie

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Since you had VSR, your warranty is good til 100k buddy
Great, thought it was just to 75k.
Old 02-15-12, 07:27 AM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

I called for an appointment and I'm a bit concerned. Advisor said 1 qt of oil consumed per thousand miles is standard. Maybe with ford or Chevy its standard, not with Lexus. He agreed to do a compression test and a consumption test. Any other test anyone can think of?
Well, we all learn things here. Based on what you wrote .... I phoned two service advisers @ Elite Dealers I know ... and they agreed that the 1 qt oil consumption per 5000 mile interval is "ok."
I asked specifically: "In a 5000 mile oil change interval, for an LS460, would you expect any oil consumption 'normally' and if so how much."

Thanks for informing us. We are all now better off because of this. I think may of us however are anxious to learn how this turns out for you.
Again .... Best Wishes - Mikey Lulejian- Lake Oconee, GA
Old 02-15-12, 02:02 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Advisor said 1 qt of oil consumed per thousand miles is standard.
No way! On my car after 5000 miles you can't even perceive any noticeable consumption. My '95 Q45a goes 10,000 miles between synthetic changes and I never even have to add any oil between changes. The same goes for my wife's Jag.

This just a SWAG, but maybe when they did the VSR they didn't put in one of the valve seals properly. (I say SWAG because I haven't done a valve seal replacement since my 1968 Pontiac GTO Judge. They may not even use valve seals any more. )
Old 02-21-12, 02:38 PM
Grisik
Rookie

Dropped the car off this morning around 9. I finally called them at 4 to see what the progress was. My advisor told me that they agreed, my car had a problem. The ECU was fine and they didn't know what was wrong. The process of taking the heads off among other things has begun. I reminded them these problems started right after the VSR was done. They agreed it may have something to do with it. Now it's a wait and see.
Old 02-21-12, 06:26 PM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

MORE ON THE "1 qt of oil consumed per thousand miles is standard"

I have spoken to several Senior Service advisers specifically about this - and here is a clear case where EXACTING DETAIL is important in solving problems.

Lexus EXACT "stand" on the oil usage issue is this: Using a quart or so between 5000 mile oil change intervals is within Lexus' levels of acceptance. However, when you talk to LS460 owners who are **** about their cars, and Service Advisers who talk specifics with their techs, normality is that there is virtually nil oil usage between oil change intervals. And I did not hear of anyone who has experienced the usage of even a single quart low between change intervals.

Grisik: I think many of us feel your pain and wish you only a speedy and successful resolution to your problems. The 460 is a JOY to drive - and maybe not at all if it behaves like yours was. Thanks for sharing with us ! And Good Luck your way.
Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA
Old 02-21-12, 07:26 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

agreed on the **** part, if we didnt care we would buy something german....
Old 02-22-12, 05:36 PM
Grisik
Rookie

Stopped by the dealer today to see how things were going. Found the engine and transmission sitting on the ground under my car. The heads were off lying next to the engine. The tech was gone but the advisor told me he ordered new heads. He was not sure what was wrong with the heads except they need to be replaced. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 02-23-12, 06:32 AM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.lambros.net/LexusTechInfo...SB-0033-08.pdf
there ya go.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine issues