LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H
Old 12-15-14, 12:57 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

LS NAV System Updating - Some actual Facts ..... and Costs

Old 04-20-12, 09:54 AM
ikeb
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have been watching the cnet car reviews via podcast. The guy that does the reviews states that the lexus navigation is the best one out because it is clean, simple and easy to use,

Remember, the average user of a car is pretty much technically challenged and basically (i hate to say it) stupid. (on my first day of a college marketing class the professor said - "always remember that the average consumer is stupid". I believe this! For example i've been in the computer software business for 27 years. My original software was DOS based. The number one technical support question we got was when a customer got a message on the screen that said - "Press Any Key to Continue" The calls we got from this one statement alone was " Which is the any key?")

Thus, simple and easy is the route car makers take.

But, i believe that car companies could have an "advanced mode" for people like us which would include the bells and whistles we want.
Old 04-24-12, 07:46 AM
mafitch
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually spoke with Mikey last week and this was one of the topics we discussed. Ultimately, I did have my local dealer, Johnson Lexus perform the update as there have been some major road changes in my area in the last 2 years, including the addition of the state's first toll road. I agree that the graphics are antiquated and the performance of the system is nowhere near being the best out there, but the interface is easy to use and it didn't cost me an arm and a leg. In the past, I purchased the Mercedes map updates every other, or every third year and I may do the same here.

My local dealer charged 169 dollars plus tax for the update and 60 dollars to install.

I think it all boils down to personal preference and wether you can tolerate a Garmin or Tom-Tom stuck to your windshield with the cord running down the dash. Those systems are admittedly superior and more cost effective, but I'm just too OCD to have extra gizmos laying around. Maybe I just have more money than sense, but those are my thoughts anyway.
Old 04-24-12, 05:31 PM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mafitch
I actually spoke with Mikey last week and this was one of the topics we discussed. Ultimately, I did have my local dealer, Johnson Lexus perform the update as there have been some major road changes in my area in the last 2 years, including the addition of the state's first toll road. I agree that the graphics are antiquated and the performance of the system is nowhere near being the best out there, but the interface is easy to use and it didn't cost me an arm and a leg. In the past, I purchased the Mercedes map updates every other, or every third year and I may do the same here.

My local dealer charged 169 dollars plus tax for the update and 60 dollars to install.

I think it all boils down to personal preference and wether you can tolerate a Garmin or Tom-Tom stuck to your windshield with the cord running down the dash. Those systems are admittedly superior and more cost effective, but I'm just too OCD to have extra gizmos laying around. Maybe I just have more money than sense, but those are my thoughts anyway.
I like all of what you wrote ! And, please know you got 1 KEWl Dealer ! No one we spoke to in our survey came anywhere near as low an installation price ! Good on you !!!

Glad you're enjoying your ride. And nice talking with you !

Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA
Old 07-26-12, 12:43 PM
delarenta1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very well written, Mikey. I have an 08 LS460 that I attempted to program a new restaurant in a neighboring state. After supplying all the info, the GPS responded with, "no such address." When I contacted my local dealership, I was informed that newer models can be updated via disc, but the 08 will require removal of the hard drive. Cost from the dealership: approx $400! The service writer gave me 2 pieces of info: 1.) Wait until November as that is when the most current updates are available. 2.) Don't waste the money. Either get the actual coordinates or just use the closest cross streets. I like your idea of a Garmin. I actually have one, but never thought of using it. Love the car, but don't need to give them $400!!
Old 07-26-12, 03:53 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Delarenta1, you need to find a new dealer. Not only for the map upgrade, but probably for any other work you need done. They are blatantly ripping you off there.

The MSRP on the nav update is $169, plus labor of no more than $80.

Plus if they think they have to remove the HD, they really don't know what they are doing!
Old 07-26-12, 04:41 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I like the NAV in my car. Its very user friendly. What I dont like is that the voice commands dont work worth ****. I used a loaner RX a few months ago and it was sooooooooo much better. I could actually drive and use my voice to tell the car the address. I felt like my NAV needs to be a bit better at that point. Still happy overall though, plus who the hell uses their nav on the regular???

PS. Why are you posts always so colorful???? Its like your signature I guess
Old 11-21-12, 09:44 AM
wchain
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Just to add to this thread, an un-named Houston dealer wants $382 for this update.
Old 11-21-12, 10:01 AM
escapedcon
Driver

after buying the 08 CPO from my dealer I realized the Nav was not updated (08 version). never negotiated it either, before purchase

I went back and asked them to do it since it is a CPO car without even researching if it should be part of the certification process (still don't know for sure if it is).
they agreed to do it free of charge (along with the spark plugs job - the car is over 60k and they did not do it while performing the 60k service prior to me buying the car).

all they asked is if I would be willing to come back in December to do these 2 things free of charge.
(something about their complimentary "tab" being to loaded for the month of November)

gotta say, great customer service!

Last edited by escapedcon; 11-21-12 at 10:08 AM.
Old 11-23-12, 01:37 PM
Helmar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I respectifully disagree...........

I couldn't disagree with you more on several points.

Originally Posted by Mikey100
1) It SHOULD come from the factory, at this price point, equipped WITH AKEBONO ceramic brake pads. The fact it does not is actually a travesty of mis-engineering
I just completed my 2nd cross country trip (west to east) in my LS 600hL and was in Florida when I had to replace the brakes. At 81,000 miles! Stops are always short and certain, and as to the longevity, well, 81,000 miles. (Granted, much of this is credited to regenerative braking of the hybrid.)
the map is "cute' altho rarely useful whatsoever
I use the nav system all the time, even around town to places I seldom go. The nav system "Knows" about virtually all of the street addresses I've used, and most of the POI's. The POI's certainly get stale after the years, but still, the ability to just press a button and phone to confirm that they're still there and open is excellent and mitigates this issue somewhat.

As I said, the nav system took me across country twice, without flaw (on the car's part anyway), I messed up a few times by not following it's directions.

What's more, the nav system is much faster than any other car based nav system I've tried, including BMW, MB, Audi, and Subaru.

Laslty, please consider this : [U]An Update to a POORLY DESIGNED SYSTEM still results in a POORLY DESIGNED SYSTEM !
I believe that the nav system was close to state of the art for the 2003-2006 period that it was developed and designed. Certainly technology has moved on and improved things, but I still find small features of my nav system advanced and lacking in mobile nav systems. A small example is the "double beep" just before the turn point. Not all mobile nav systems do this.

Even my gripes about not being able to program it while moving are mitigated by the fact that much useful functionality is NOT blocked...

HBH
Old 11-23-12, 03:05 PM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Not related to your topic, but I think your sig actually should read 'antidote', not 'anecdote'.

CHAOS !!!!

Old 11-24-12, 04:41 AM
305Busa
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

An update on my system is not an option for me. I will never do it again, specially if its out of pocket. My system was updated by the dealer because something was wrong with my screen and they decided on updating at the same time. This was a little over a year ago. Shortly after the update, my bank changed names but the navi didnt know that but somehow my phone did. The same day the change to the bank was made, I looked for one in my phone and couldnt find it under the old name. When I put it in the car, it did. When I arrived at the bank, I noticed that the name had changed and thats why the phone couldnt find it. Also, my house was built in 2007, same year as my car. My system was updated in 2011 and somehow my car still doesnt know where I live. It cant find my address regardless of how I type it in. Those are just 2 of my reasons why I would never pay for an update.
Old 11-24-12, 05:32 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyV
Not related to your topic, but I think your sig actually should read 'antidote', not 'anecdote'.

I believe you are correct.
Old 02-02-14, 01:11 PM
LexusManny
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This thread is old, but the information is very helpful and discouraged me from wasting my money on updating the maps.

I find it a lot easier to talk to my iPhone and get directions than to use the built-in navigation system. The built-in navigation always leaves me short of my destination by at least 50 yards.
Old 02-02-14, 01:24 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusManny
The built-in navigation always leaves me short of my destination by at least 50 yards.
That's because Lexus wants us to walk the rest of the way. We need the exercise!
Old 02-02-14, 08:54 PM
philj
Driver

I love my car but I have to agree with many of the points Mikey made.

I have used destination assist. I call Lexus and they download the directions to my car. I have done it over 10 times and almost every time the location is incorrect. Not by much but I have to use my phone to go the last 1/2 mile.

I find the voice commands work better in my 13 car than my 09 car and I am glad for that.

When I enter the address using voice commands or the joy stick I find the NAV to be more accurate then destination assist.

It is true that we should be able to update the unit ourselves. More and more in life we update things, Computers, phones, tivos or DVRs and even software programs. I agree that we should be able to update the NAV ourselves.

I agree that our NAV system is not as good as some other cars,

However I think that in balance our LS cars are a net plus. I do wish the NAV was better but I also love that the car never brakes. I love the ride and the comfort and how quite it is. The price is also good.

It is funny I expected the NAV system to be better than US or European cars because Japan is so high tech when you visit... maybe some day it will improve.

For now I for one am happy with my car even if the NAV could be better.

When I enter the

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LS NAV System Updating - Some actual Facts ..... and Costs