LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

AKEBONO Ceramic Brake Pads - The Who, Why and Where to get them At a GREAT Price !

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-12, 08:49 AM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation AKEBONO Ceramic Brake Pads - The Who, Why and Where to get them At a GREAT Price !

Since CJITTY - 1 of Club Lexus' most prolific and generous posters - recently re-introducted this subject of AKEBONO Ceramic Pads, I thought I would re-write a thread done many months ago, in the hope it helps newcommers here. That's the wish .... so here goes:

However, before we start, please note this additional fact: As of today, February 2012, AKEBONO does NOT manufacture Ceramic brake pads to fit an LS460 "Sport" model !

I have used Akebono ceramic pads successfully on many vehicles. From Mercury Gran Marquis', Ford Crown Vics, on a Jag Vanden Plas, on a MB SL500, to Ford F150's and now my LS460.

What most people do not understand is that AKEBONO holds two VERY distinctive Advantages for these type of brake pads:

-- 1) They INVENTED the Ceramic brake pad !

-- 2) They ARE the O.E. supplier to the MAJORITY of new car manufacturers who install these on the cars they build. No other brake pad manufacturer company can say this (Altho several do try - falsely)..

Subsequently, AKEBONO makes and sells MORE ceramic pads per year than any other company.

And the reason they do this is because the pads are simply THAT GOOD.

To repeat myself, these pads shine in:

1) Stopping power
2) Low to NO brake dusting
3) No squeal operation.

A few months ago, I found what must be the LOWEST price anywhere on AKEBONO brake pads.

First, the necessary disclaimer(s): Please understand, I am new to this forum, and yet I do NOT work for AKEBONO nor "The Place for Brakes." I do not have any affiliation nor investment in either of these companies nor am I being compensated for these remarks. I just believe this strongly in my feelings. Lastly, I am not being compensated in any way for this or any other similar posting. All I wanna do actually is get out on my lake and bass fish for LargeMouths.

So I discovered a company and website that I had never previously found for supplying AKEBONO pads at a great price. It's called "The Place for Brakes" (Miami, FL).

Here is the web link:

http://www.placeforbrakes.com/produc...&car_year=2008

Fronts are $ 59.90 (pair)
Rears are $ 50.37 (pair)

Those prices are what I paid for a 2008 LS460. Other years MIGHT differ slightly. No sales tax (outside Fla) and the prices include FREE shipping. The folks @ The Place For Brakes are VERY nice and extremely helpful. I suggest you speak to them over the telephone, altho you can input your order directly. If you do talk to them via the telly, make 'em feel good and tell them you called because of Club Lexus.

Additional Notes: ALL AKEBONO's come "pre-shimmed" from the factory. So the work has been done for you, and you do not need to concern yourself with that.

Additionally, inside each box is lubricant, provided courtesy of your new friends @ AKEBONO.

The only advice AKEBONO or their dealers offer is to suggest you either "resurface" your rotors or to use new ones - depending on your vehicle's particular situation. However, with an LS, it is very possible that may not be necessary.

Lastly - Answers to questions that have been previously raised: (And based on some of the questions that got asked asked ........ It appears some people do not "get it.")

AKEBONO is the "O.E" (Original Equipment) supplier to NEW car manufacturers worldwide. Subsequently, they concentrate their efforts marketing-wise on NEW car manufacturers. And that is why you might never have heard of them previously.

It somewhat boggles one's mind that Lexus on an upscale model such as the LS430, and now the LS460, does not INCLUDE ceramic pads as standard on a new LS460. It's sad, but a fact. However, tons of other car manufacturers do (manufacture their vehicles using AKEBONO pads) across the globe. To repeat for the upteenth time, NO OTHER company sells as many CERAMIC pads as AKEBONO each year. *And …. They INVENTED the process.

So ... Yes ! AKEBONO's work superbly on OE original Lexus rotors. You MIGHT wish to get your own rotors re-surfaced for the best possible performance. Altho it is NOT mandatory.

For me, personally, I just (without AKEBONO’s) get tired of washing my wheels or needing to - LS460 or any other vehicle - after about 50 miles of driving - just to clean the black brake dust.

Please keep in mind regarding ROTORS: There are many people who obtain Superior braking performance and component life using NON-premium rotors. About 10 years ago there could be a better case made for using premium rotors. But that is not necessarily true today. If ya feel better using the top brand ($$$), make yourself happy. But please know it does NOT insure superior performance nor rotor longevity.

We sincerely hope all of this helps someone else.

Best Wishes to all ........

Mikey Lulejian
Lake Oconee, GA

Last edited by Mikey100; 02-05-12 at 07:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Liiam (07-25-22)
Old 02-05-12, 08:19 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

I have used these akebonos on my past three cars and never a problem... these Cv1 wheels take time to clean and not having brake dust issues as I did with the OEM pads, they once again have proved their worth!! Great post Mikey!
Old 02-05-12, 09:14 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Once my brakes are at that time I will most likely go with these pads (lol that sounds funny) and the rotors that Shibumi1 has
Old 02-06-12, 06:41 AM
datplayaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm convince, I've ordered from The Place For Brakes before and can confirm that they are great to deal with.
Old 02-06-12, 09:51 AM
PeachyKeen
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I need to order a set all around for myself. The stock brakes on this (new to me) CPO 2008 car seem to squeal a lot first thing in the morning. They dust for sure, but not as bad as some other cars I've owned.

I checked the place for brakes website, as well as akebono's website to see if they had them for my wife's X5, and they only show rear pads, with new ones due any day now for the front. Now she REALLY NEEDS these pads, as her OEM pads dust worse than any I have ever seen before! Nightmare to keep her wheels clean.
Old 12-07-12, 11:32 PM
pinoiryder
Pole Position

any local store sells this in Southern California?
Old 12-08-12, 02:31 PM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by pinoiryder
any local store sells this in Southern California?
Just order them on-line and have them in a few days.

Welcome to the interwebs.

Old 12-30-12, 01:40 PM
ehaze
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just ordered.

@Mikey, thank you for the writeup. Also, your link to their site is dead.
Old 12-31-12, 06:07 AM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ehaze
Just ordered.

@Mikey, thank you for the writeup. Also, your link to their site is dead.
THIS LINK DOES WORK !!!!!!!! ........

http://www.placeforbrakes.com/

A little Google work does Wonders, especially considering the $ Savings involved !

Happy New Year 2013 to all !

Mikey on the Lake
Old 12-31-12, 06:10 AM
ehaze
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not Found

The requested URL /produc...&car_year=2008 was not found on this server.

What'st his Google you speak of? Would you say it's better than Netscape????
Old 12-31-12, 06:23 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What tis this blasphemy ya'll speak of? LOL! You been out fishin Mikey? Been waiting on my rotors to throw my pads on
Old 03-24-13, 03:04 PM
jbrittmart
Pit Crew

It's time for new pads. Are these still the ones to go with?

I understand that Akebono does NOT make pads for LS' with the Touring Package. Is there any way I can be sure that mine does not have the package and that the Akebono pads will fit my vehicle?

Thanks.
Old 03-24-13, 04:47 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

I won't buy anything else. I also had them put on my wife's Jag way before she was due for new ones. Just the work it saves me from washing her wheels is worth 5 times the price.
Old 03-26-13, 12:49 PM
jefmedia
Driver School Candidate

I had these pads installed on my 07 LS460L about 6 months ago, I have a clunking sound that seems to come from the drivers front wheel, and the brakes squeal about 50% of the time. I know a lot of people rave about these pads, did my installer mess up? Has anyone else had problems, or am I the only lucky one?
Old 03-26-13, 06:58 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Going on a year since I had on my car and no issues! Love these pads my wheels stay clean they really don't make dust, well none that can be seen.

Quick Reply: AKEBONO Ceramic Brake Pads - The Who, Why and Where to get them At a GREAT Price !