LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

AKEBONO Ceramic Brake Pads - The Who, Why and Where to get them At a GREAT Price !

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-13, 08:03 PM
Asav
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Just wanted to stop by and cosign these pads. I have had them on several cars over the past decade. I can say first hand that I put 70k on the same akebono pads with my 2000 Mazda Millenia back in the day. I only changed those pads out because mentally I couldn't wrap my head around why they had plenty of pad left at the time. These pads do not dust and the price point is good. I will never use another brand.
Old 03-28-13, 08:26 AM
jefmedia
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Obviously I picked the wrong tech to install mine. I will take them to another shop to get the install checked out. Thanks for your help.
Old 03-28-13, 02:16 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

I think it could be your install. I have a top notch independent mechanic and he installed mine. When he did the job I told him I heard it was a fairly simple job. He said it wasn't that simple. There was something he mentioned that he had to pay attention to, but I don't remember what it was. So my guess is the job can be messed up if not done properly.
Old 04-01-13, 10:56 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

just the thread i was looking for. will the pro act pads fit the 2013 460 awd? i searched the site and only saw pads up until the 2012 model. added to cart and read EXC. RWD w/ sport pckg ?

Last edited by sydtoosic; 04-01-13 at 11:00 PM.
Old 04-06-13, 01:09 AM
jefmedia
Driver School Candidate

Well I found out what part of my problem was, and it had nothing to do with the brakes. I just had the upper and lower control arms replaced. Gotta love the Lexus extended warranty, $3,400 job that cost me nothing.
Old 04-06-13, 08:28 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jefmedia
Well I found out what part of my problem was, and it had nothing to do with the brakes. I just had the upper and lower control arms replaced. Gotta love the Lexus extended warranty, $3,400 job that cost me nothing.
How many miles are on your LS that required new upper and lower controol arms?

I have a slight clicking sound from the front end when brake perssure is applied..

JR
Old 04-08-13, 05:49 AM
Asav
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jefmedia
Lexus warranty is bullet proof!
Old 04-12-13, 12:35 PM
jbrittmart
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pads ordered and arrived in just a couple days.

I have an appointment at my dealer on Monday morning to have them installed since I need an oil change and some other little things as well.

I will report back.
Old 04-15-13, 02:58 AM
jefmedia
Driver School Candidate

Sorry for the slow reply FLYCT, should have been following up. I had 81k on the car when I took it in for service, it is a 2007 LS460L that was put in service March 2007.
Old 04-15-13, 11:25 AM
jbrittmart
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious what some of you were charged for install and rotor resurfacing.
Old 04-15-13, 05:30 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

place for brakes is not helping my brake dust dilemma... does anyone know if they fit a 2013 460 AWD? place for brakes only show RWD Sport pckg. at checkout. my brakes are 14.0' front and 13.1' rear. if anyone knows i'd appreciate it, but until then i'll keep searching.
Old 04-15-13, 08:05 PM
lexus600hl
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 2008 ls 600hl nieman marcus edition. Needs front and rear brakes. 67,000 miles.
Are these ceramic brakes squeal free?
I am happy with factory pads but having little or no brake dust is nice!
My dealer said that the pads are worn out and I would be getting a warning light soon.
Do these ceramic pads also have the same feature and are they an exact fit?
What all do I need to order? Just the pads?
Also, as I wrote in my other post, the dealer has some kind of "anti squeal shims". Do I need them?

Also, should I just replace the discs also? The current discs seem fine.
Thank you.

Last edited by lexus600hl; 04-16-13 at 10:07 AM.
Old 04-16-13, 08:38 AM
Ranger76
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Akebono pads for 2009 LS460L

Seems my 2009 LS460L brakes are not as good as on my other vehicles Acura RL and Infinity M45. Since this is my first Lexus does any think switching to the Akebon pads will help me in stopping distance, reactive (emergency) stopping, etc. Just seems the vehicle takes longer to stop and requires extra attention than any vehicle I have driven. Finally, am in El Paso and unfortunately on one Lexus dealer is here with no other dealer within 300 miles. This dealer creates issues with simply warranty work that is clearly covered. They require the service manager to inspect any warranty work to verify what the service advisor and written warranty say/state. I am highly disappointed, is there a way to get the original factory warranty and also the extended warranty from Lexus to pay a local Toyota dealer to do warranty work? I did NOT buy the vehicle from the local guy because they were charging $8000 more than what I paid out of state, also did not buy the Platinum warranty from them but got the exact same Lexus Platinum warranty out of state for $2000 less. Perhaps they are making life difficult because of these two factors, so my question on brakes (buy Akebonon and have Toyota dealer install) and follow up service (warranty work) at Toyota dealer seem possible? Appreciate your patience, I am new to this forum.
Old 04-16-13, 08:42 AM
Ranger76
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perhaps were you are from, but not in this town.....warranty only as good as the dealer lets it be I have found.
Old 04-16-13, 08:44 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger76
Seems my 2009 LS460L brakes are not as good as on my other vehicles Acura RL and Infinity M45.
Have you checked past reviews (Consumer Reports for example) to get quantitative evaluations of stopping distances for the various models you reference? Once you have the numbers, you can then make a reasoned analysis whether your Lexus braking performance is as designed, anomalous, or deficient in comparison with the other models. Your course of action should then be clear.

Quick Reply: AKEBONO Ceramic Brake Pads - The Who, Why and Where to get them At a GREAT Price !