LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Fog light Mod..... (finally)

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-12, 02:48 AM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I was going to do it but you can't legally drive with just the fog lights on in California so I decided to pass. I gotta keep it as legal as possible around the Bay Area.
Old 12-25-12, 04:42 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by lbintab
I was going to do it but you can't legally drive with just the fog lights on in California so I decided to pass. I gotta keep it as legal as possible around the Bay Area.
what??? are you for real? that is the dumbest ish i have ever heard when it is clearly a safety benefit..how do they know they are not DRLs when some car makes use the fogs for DRLs nowadays? So is it illegal to drive with highbeams on during the day?

I dont think it is a problem based on this. You can turn off DRL in many cars..based on this part of the law, there is nothing saying you can't run fogs during the day http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc24403.htm

Page 535 of this PDF..http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/veh_code.pdf

I think you could easily argue they are not being used to replace headlights during the day with so many vehicles having different DRL combos nowadays..the laws will probably go dormant or be removed regarding this at some point..

Last edited by CJITTY; 12-25-12 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12-26-12, 12:22 AM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah you can't drive with just auxiliary lights on around here. Similarly you can't run around with just park lights. It's stupid but they got tickets out here for them. Don't recall the vehicle code but the chp sure know what it is haha
Old 12-26-12, 12:27 AM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CJITTY
what??? are you for real? that is the dumbest ish i have ever heard when it is clearly a safety benefit..how do they know they are not DRLs when some car makes use the fogs for DRLs nowadays? So is it illegal to drive with highbeams on during the day?

I dont think it is a problem based on this. You can turn off DRL in many cars..based on this part of the law, there is nothing saying you can't run fogs during the day http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc24403.htm

Page 535 of this PDF..http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/veh_code.pdf

I think you could easily argue they are not being used to replace headlights during the day with so many vehicles having different DRL combos nowadays..the laws will probably go dormant or be removed regarding this at some point..
Hold on that is the vehicle code. Can't run fog lights in substitution of headlights. Can only be used with headlamps
Old 12-26-12, 07:03 AM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by lbintab
Hold on that is the vehicle code. Can't run fog lights in substitution of headlights. Can only be used with headlamps
I was on several forums searching around and there is a 50/50 interpretation. ..bottom line seems to come down to officers not meeting quotas and looking to get numbers up. it is one of those "fog lights have to no higher than 12 inches from ground" laws..on books but not frequntly enforced. by the way..you are not substituting headlights with fogs during daytime..especially when DRLs are not mandatory. maybe I missed it in the pdf but I dont see where it says headlight and fogs have to be on same time during daytime. also..can you drive with high beams on during day? lol..the law needs to be updated to reflect all the DRL combos..my opinion.
Old 01-17-15, 05:56 AM
mustafakha
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Planning on doing this...

Hi Guys,
How many amps does the relay have to be. I am collecting the parts to do this and I found different relays available on eBay. 40 amps, 60 amps, 80 amps... Which one is the safest to go with...
Old 01-17-15, 07:56 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

40amps will do.... they NEVER reach anywhere near that draw..
Old 01-17-15, 10:17 PM
mustafakha
Driver

Post Wiring Diagram

Originally Posted by Shibumi1
40amps will do.... they NEVER reach anywhere near that draw..
Thanks Shibumi1... based on your instructions, I prepared the attached wiring chart... please review and confirm that this will work and I will have a friend do this for me as I am not too good with electric wiring etc..

I have ordered and received a 3000K 55W HID kit from eBay... I still go with 40amps?

I am assuming that I do not have to cut any wire in the OEM fog lamp harness and only the positive wire from the HID kit will have to be routed through the relay and the other plugs will be connected as normal.

Thanks a ton!!

LS460 Fog Lamp independent operation chart.

I need to update my signature
Old 01-18-15, 01:52 AM
aaauae
Driver

Originally Posted by mustafakha
Thanks Shibumi1... based on your instructions, I prepared the attached wiring chart... please review and confirm that this will work and I will have a friend do this for me as I am not too good with electric wiring etc..

I have ordered and received a 3000K 55W HID kit from eBay... I still go with 40amps?

I am assuming that I do not have to cut any wire in the OEM fog lamp harness and only the positive wire from the HID kit will have to be routed through the relay and the other plugs will be connected as normal.

Thanks a ton!!

LS460 Fog Lamp independent operation chart.

I need to update my signature

If you succeed i am the next one to do it , i have all parts you require hit me up, if you need any parts . i just need help in doing it i got various amp rating relays etc .

btw whatsapp me i lost your number
Old 01-18-15, 06:45 AM
CJITTY

Independent fogs..one of my fave mods I have done. DO IT!! I use them as DRLs.

I really like the fact they use the oem switch, don't need park lights to be on, I can flip a separate hidden switch and it makes the mod behave just like OEM whereas fogs turn off with high beam and can't turn on unless headlights are on.

Fog light Mod..... (finally)-forumrunner_20150118_094408.png

Last edited by CJITTY; 01-18-15 at 06:51 AM.
Old 01-20-15, 05:18 AM
tennisstar
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Independent fogs..one of my fave mods I have done. DO IT!! I use them as DRLs.

I really like the fact they use the oem switch, don't need park lights to be on, I can flip a separate hidden switch and it makes the mod behave just like OEM whereas fogs turn off with high beam and can't turn on unless headlights are on.

Attachment 352391
.....me likey.....cjitty, u know anyone in ATL that can do this?....still rolling with my ol 07 460....got a bunch o kids now, so not much time for car stuff anymore....my fogs are busted with some cheap stuff I got a while back and am looking to regain a nice fog light effects....your recommendations would b highly appreciated!
Old 01-20-15, 09:52 AM
CJITTY

Originally Posted by tennisstar
.....me likey.....cjitty, u know anyone in ATL that can do this?....still rolling with my ol 07 460....got a bunch o kids now, so not much time for car stuff anymore....my fogs are busted with some cheap stuff I got a while back and am looking to regain a nice fog light effects....your recommendations would b highly appreciated!
Unfortunately I don't here in Atlanta. Sorry bro
Old 01-20-15, 03:02 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by tennisstar
A bunch of kids huh. ... ROAD TRIP to Orlando (kids can do the theme parks...) & u can get your mods done.... I'm just sayin....
Old 01-20-15, 06:00 PM
tennisstar
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shibumi1
A bunch of kids huh. ... ROAD TRIP to Orlando (kids can do the theme parks...) & u can get your mods done.... I'm just sayin....
Ooh...a challenge ....unfortunately, no can do for a long while cause when we go down there it's in the minivan not Lexus....we got six ppl...with 4 in car seats...
Old 01-21-15, 10:28 AM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

I did this exact same mod to my old Dodge Ram (still have it) and my Corolla (still have it), but in a MUCH simpler way. I'm going to check to see if I can do it that way with the LS. It is NOTHING compared to the wiring that is done here. Exact same behavior.

Actually, my Corolla is the exact same way. I think my truck has to at least have the parking lights on to activate the fogs. But both can run the fogs with the high beams. And the Corolla can additionally run the fogs any time the ignition switch is on.

I'll check on this in the next couple days.

Quick Reply: Fog light Mod..... (finally)