LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

New LS or Tesla Model S?

Old 05-18-15, 10:38 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Not a redesign. But I'm not surprised that Lexus would call it such.
Exactly. The chassis is still the same.

The 2017 will be an all new chassis but I think it will end up as a short lived intermediate model like the LS 430. They will have new technology and a new look but it will just be the same old with the 5.0 version of it's UR engine.
This should buy Toyota some time before electric technology is a lot more viable.

Last edited by Devh; 05-18-15 at 10:43 AM.
Old 05-18-15, 12:36 PM
DiggerJim
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by satiger
Although the article is technically correct in noting the Tesla had the highest rating CR has ever given a car (99 out of 100), it also gave the 2010 Lexus the same 99 score so the Tesla isn't the only car they've given the highest score to.
Old 05-18-15, 01:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,799 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
Exactly. The chassis is still the same.

The 2017 will be an all new chassis but I think it will end up as a short lived intermediate model like the LS 430. They will have new technology and a new look but it will just be the same old with the 5.0 version of it's UR engine.
This should buy Toyota some time before electric technology is a lot more viable.
I wouldn't consider the LS430 a "short lived intermediate model". It was out for 5 years. By comparison, the first gen LS400 was out for 4 years, second gen LS400 was out for 5 years. Had the LS460 been all new in 2013 as it would have been normally it would have been out for 5 years.
Old 05-18-15, 01:50 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I wouldn't consider the LS430 a "short lived intermediate model". It was out for 5 years. By comparison, the first gen LS400 was out for 4 years, second gen LS400 was out for 5 years. Had the LS460 been all new in 2013 as it would have been normally it would have been out for 5 years.
I stand corrected.
The LS400 had two generations platforms XF10 and XF20 .
The XF40 which is what we have is the longest running LS model. Very few cars in existence have a 10 year run.
Old 05-18-15, 02:57 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Just a point of interest for you guys. The engineers at Toyota, both Japanese and American refer to the generational changes as either, a "minor model change," or a, "major model change."

The 2013 would have been the correct time for a major model change, but it certainly looks like a minor model change to me.

I will try to distiguish with my Japanese Toyota friend, but he hasn't been communicating as of late.

7milesout
Old 05-19-15, 09:54 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Unsober1
I used to think the LS is on par with the S class, and in many ways it is. But the LS more OR less follows its own path, in my opinion. I honestly believe the S class is a step above, it's more of the look at me class. Loaded with the latest and greatest, most technologically advanced gizmos you can find. Lexus stays more conservative and tried and true means of doing things. Luxury is many different things to many different people. Lexus IS great at what it does
I test drove a 2011 S550 with Sport Package and I was impressed with how fun it was to drive. My LS600hL is great, don't get me wrong, but I felt way more connected to the Benz when driving. And Iove the 2011-2013 body style of the S Class. It just looks better off the showroom than the LS is..but then again, the cars are engineered differently. I have owned an LS460 and now a 600 and looking to make my next move. S550, Panamera and maybe..maybe the Tesla are vehicles I am considering..honestly to help bridge the gap between now and when I can afford the new 2017 LS sometime in 2020. Assuming I like the new body. But if the Benz maintenance and repair issues are true, then I may just need to hold on to my 600 lol...#FirstWolrdProblems
Old 05-19-15, 10:38 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
I test drove a 2011 S550 with Sport Package and I was impressed with how fun it was to drive. My LS600hL is great, don't get me wrong, but I felt way more connected to the Benz when driving. And Iove the 2011-2013 body style of the S Class. It just looks better off the showroom than the LS is..but then again, the cars are engineered differently. I have owned an LS460 and now a 600 and looking to make my next move. S550, Panamera and maybe..maybe the Tesla are vehicles I am considering..honestly to help bridge the gap between now and when I can afford the new 2017 LS sometime in 2020. Assuming I like the new body. But if the Benz maintenance and repair issues are true, then I may just need to hold on to my 600 lol...#FirstWolrdProblems
I was also looking at an S550 probably in the same year range. Everywhere I look I hear horror stories. I talk to people I know who own MB and they keep saying never again. They say it is always a bunch of little things and everything requires a visit to the dealer. I may just end up keeping the LS and traveling more. I've also toyed with the idea of a GTR but I love relaxation as much as I do speed. I also feel that the reliability of Lexus has ruined other cars for me. Whenever I look at or test drive other cars, it always jumps straight to reliability.
Old 05-19-15, 12:16 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

My brother had a 2014 benz for just under a year and sold it. I've never owned one so I can't judge. I'd like a Tesla when it become convenient. But trying to drive 500 miles each way sounds impossible, or is there something I'm not understanding? In any event, even if the LS hasn't changed much, it's still the car for me! Not too many days go by when someone compliment the look of my car. I still smile every time I open the garage door!
Old 05-19-15, 01:34 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by greg3852
I was also looking at an S550 probably in the same year range. Everywhere I look I hear horror stories. I talk to people I know who own MB and they keep saying never again. They say it is always a bunch of little things and everything requires a visit to the dealer. I may just end up keeping the LS and traveling more. I've also toyed with the idea of a GTR but I love relaxation as much as I do speed. I also feel that the reliability of Lexus has ruined other cars for me. Whenever I look at or test drive other cars, it always jumps straight to reliability.
I do like the 13+ LS also, I just know I'll need a body kit and some nicer wheels to make it look good to me. I'm not old enough to settle for just stock, UNLESS it was a cal like a 7 series or 550 that looks sporty from day one. things like oem flared fenders, oem staggered and wider wheels in general, limited fender gap compared to the LS, on and on. What would change my mind is getting a S550 for a great certified price that covers me for repairs..if I have to go to the dealer, that's fine...i'm more concerned about cost of repairs...I think at the end of the day, I'll stay with Team Lexus...I have ideas on slight mods with big returns as far as appeal goes without going broke. It's a shame the S550 and 7 series are terrible with their reliability, especially for what they cost..
Old 05-21-15, 06:26 PM
Chaos236
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I've had four MB"s, do not do it!
If you ride behind the star you must pay!
Old 05-21-15, 06:40 PM
DiggerJim
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by greg3852
I was also looking at an S550 probably in the same year range. Everywhere I look I hear horror stories. I talk to people I know who own MB and they keep saying never again. They say it is always a bunch of little things and everything requires a visit to the dealer.
After my experience with an E350 4Matic I'll never buy another Benz. Even if I got a CPO or extended warranty. It's not just what it costs to fix one but the PITA need to keep bringing it in for service - just not worth the life minutes wasted. The Benz, BMW (750IL) and Jag all sucked from a reliability standpoint. The only one I'd get again would be the Jag because it's just a wickedly sexy looking car and I'd be okay resigning myself to the reliability problems and be okay since I've got a couple of Lexuses (Lexi?) in the garage as my main transport.
Old 05-21-15, 07:22 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by DiggerJim
After my experience with an E350 4Matic I'll never buy another Benz. Even if I got a CPO or extended warranty. It's not just what it costs to fix one but the PITA need to keep bringing it in for service - just not worth the life minutes wasted. The Benz, BMW (750IL) and Jag all sucked from a reliability standpoint. The only one I'd get again would be the Jag because it's just a wickedly sexy looking car and I'd be okay resigning myself to the reliability problems and be okay since I've got a couple of Lexuses (Lexi?) in the garage as my main transport.
Completely agree on the Jag. They are sexy as hell

Lexi....hahahahaha
Old 05-22-15, 08:39 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 503 Likes on 382 Posts

I read somewhere last week (Consumer Reports maybe?), that the newer MB's - especially the S 550, and after gaining ground and reclaiming some respectability, have seriously declined to 90's level unreliability

Completely agree on how gorgeous the Jags look now. They have an Aston Martin kind of appearance that I love. However, if you have a chance, go sit in one and report back. I did at the Vancouver International car show and I can tell you that the quality, fit and finish, etc are tragic. For example, when I went to sit in it, I of course, opened the door.....only to find that the door handle jammed in the open position. The Jag rep calmly walked over, pounded the handle with his fist and had a resigned look on his face, like he had done this and other similar things a hundred times before. The stalks and buttons all seemed cheap and loose. All of this disappointment almost disappeared every time I stood back and looked at the car. ALMOST.

Last edited by roadfrog; 05-22-15 at 08:51 AM.
Old 05-22-15, 09:05 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

I have two different neighbors who, as of recent, purchased a Jaguar XJ L, pearl white and black. Absolutely beautiful and very sexy cars!!! One guy is a bit flashy; obnoxious, the other, a really nice guy. I say that as a precursor for a reason..
Anyways, shortly after I purchased my LS, he stopped by and congratulated me on the purchase and kindly joked with me about purchasing a high end Toyota. His jeers were met with humor as we joke constantly.
He had mention some time ago that he liked the LS, but he felt the exterior was a bit boring. In all honesty, I can understand that.
He recently pulled up to the front of my house in his pearl white XJ L while I was mowing my lawn...just a gorgeous car!
He says to me..."c'Mon man..quite working get that LS out and let's race!!". I stopped what I was doing and we stood outside talking and looking over the car.
What he did say though, was that he wished the interior was more like the LS, and that if someone were to mix the exterior of the Jag/interior of the LS (and I had to throw in the jab by saying: "don't forget the reliabily of the LS), they couldn't keep them on lots!
Shortly before I resumed yard work, I joked and said..."seriously..the car is beautiful, but have you ever seen and payed attention to what they say in the commercial?". He replied "No? Why?". I said "they proclaim that Jaguar has the highest rated level of customer service...you know why right?"
He smiles..."go ahead..say it!!!" I say "well...for as much time you"ll spend at the dealership complaining of reliability issues, the least they can do is be kind to their customers!" :-)

Last edited by CRowe14; 05-22-15 at 09:10 AM.
Old 05-22-15, 10:10 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,799 Posts

I looked at and drove the XJ before I got the LS. Its a gorgeous car. Inside I agree the LS overall is better, but the XJ has a lot of high end materials, they're just not quite put together as well. Their navigation/infotainment system is TERRIBLE.

They're a little ostentatious for me too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New LS or Tesla Model S?