LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Factory air suspension to coilover

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-11, 06:39 PM
Tdvlexo
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Factory air suspension to coilover

Have anyone swap out your factory air suspension for coilover on your 460? I am thinking about swapping mine out.
Old 12-31-11, 12:18 AM
Chin
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I do not need to or want to do this, but I am interested to know the answer as well. The rear air struts were replaced on my pre-owned LS460L before I purchased it and I have no desire to replace them out of pocket if/when they fail again.
Old 12-31-11, 08:57 AM
brianlin87
Resident JDM Snob

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Tdvlexo
Have anyone swap out your factory air suspension for coilover on your 460? I am thinking about swapping mine out.
I don't think anyone has done this before - also, I'm not sure you'd want to do this. Have you tried installing the Datasystems controller? If not that, maybe try the Youzealand SS kit.

Originally Posted by Chin
I do not need to or want to do this, but I am interested to know the answer as well. The rear air struts were replaced on my pre-owned LS460L before I purchased it and I have no desire to replace them out of pocket if/when they fail again.
Personally, I would advise against removing the the air suspension for a coilover set up because there are a handful of warning lights that would constantly be on.
Old 12-31-11, 10:32 AM
Tdvlexo
Pole Position

I did the swap before on my 04 ls430 UL and took out the fuse to the air pump and there was no warning lights what so ever. I wonder if the system is like the 430, if so I'm pretty sure there will not be any warning lights. As of this moment my car is lowered by tricking the height sensors.
Old 12-31-11, 10:51 AM
Tdvlexo
Pole Position

Brian,
Thanks for the quick response and help on the shipping of the kit. The kit is very clean, I like it. I will take pictures and post them soon.
Old 12-31-11, 02:07 PM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mode parfume did this with their demo ls600hl. as far as i know though, nobody's done it here in the states. like brian mentioned, i'm sure you're going to get a ton of warning lights.
Old 12-31-11, 03:21 PM
Falbz
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I personally would not want to swap the factory air suspension for a coil over setup. I'm with Brian on this one. Not sure about the warning lights but I do not see any major advantages.
Old 01-01-12, 12:48 PM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Falbz
I personally would not want to swap the factory air suspension for a coil over setup. I'm with Brian on this one. Not sure about the warning lights but I do not see any major advantages.
well, if you're planning on driving the car super low (like ridiculously low, not just tanabe spring lowered) you need the stiffness of a coilover setup and the high spring rates you can run to avoid hitting the ground under suspension travel. i'm not aware of any air setups that can get as stiff as you need. coilover suspension is also easier to tune.

then again, i'm talking about guys who want to run full aero (that hangs lower than stock) while also tucking 21" wheels, like the mode parfume demo car haha.
Old 01-01-12, 03:35 PM
brianlin87
Resident JDM Snob

Originally Posted by Tdvlexo
Brian,
Thanks for the quick response and help on the shipping of the kit. The kit is very clean, I like it. I will take pictures and post them soon.
glad to hear you like it!

Originally Posted by cheez80
mode parfume did this with their demo ls600hl. as far as i know though, nobody's done it here in the states. like brian mentioned, i'm sure you're going to get a ton of warning lights.
I guess I'll be 1/2 doing it, since I'll be dropping out the OEM bags, but putting a back in a frankenstein set up. lol
Old 01-02-12, 10:59 AM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by brianlin87
I guess I'll be 1/2 doing it, since I'll be dropping out the OEM bags, but putting a back in a frankenstein set up. lol
i think that's the way to go haha
Old 01-06-12, 11:27 PM
minnyminh
Pole Position

That's funny u made that comment about tucking 21" wheels cuz that's how I drive my car daily and I love it. Everyone thinks I'm on air but my car is static!!! I have no problems even a fully loaded trunk with 4 passengers. I drive my car out of town every other week!! Can yes coils are much easier to tune....
Originally Posted by cheez80
well, if you're planning on driving the car super low (like ridiculously low, not just tanabe spring lowered) you need the stiffness of a coilover setup and the high spring rates you can run to avoid hitting the ground under suspension travel. i'm not aware of any air setups that can get as stiff as you need. coilover suspension is also easier to tune.

then again, i'm talking about guys who want to run full aero (that hangs lower than stock) while also tucking 21" wheels, like the mode parfume demo car haha.
Old 01-06-12, 11:34 PM
minnyminh
Pole Position

I'm ready when you are uncle when you decide to do the swap. Got experience since we did my car so it should be much faster. Since we know what all to take apart. Lemme know. Talk to auntie and tell her early valentines present!!!! Lol. Trust me, you would love how the coilovers ride if you get it as low as mine
Old 01-07-12, 10:29 AM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by minnyminh
I'm ready when you are uncle when you decide to do the swap. Got experience since we did my car so it should be much faster. Since we know what all to take apart. Lemme know. Talk to auntie and tell her early valentines present!!!! Lol. Trust me, you would love how the coilovers ride if you get it as low as mine
minnyminh, did you car come from the factory with air suspension?
Old 01-07-12, 01:32 PM
minnyminh
Pole Position

No but have swapped out factory air out for coilovers before. Everything bolts on exactly the same. Pull out the air relay and fuses then no lights will come on if theres no indication of failure.
Old 01-08-12, 10:14 AM
brianlin87
Resident JDM Snob

Originally Posted by minnyminh
No but have swapped out factory air out for coilovers before. Everything bolts on exactly the same. Pull out the air relay and fuses then no lights will come on if theres no indication of failure.
Just so readers aren't confused, you're stating you haven't actually done this before on our cars, but on a previous model lexus, yet you're claiming that no lights will come on if the air relay/fuses are all completely removed? Shouldn't you want to actually do the work before making such a claim?

Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely interested in your claim, I just want to see the results.

Quick Reply: Factory air suspension to coilover