LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Right Time To Buy an LS?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-11, 10:23 AM
TtoLS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Right Time To Buy an LS?

Hey Everyone,

I went for a test drive a couple of days ago and I have to say, I fell in love with the car. I thought that my friend's E320 was quiet inside, but this car took it to a new extreme. There was EXTREMELY little noise inside the cabin and the sales rep even let me take it up to 80 on the highway because I told him I was worried about wind noise. I took a 2011 model for a test drive and there was NONE! I said that I was going to wait until the new version came out but I'm not sure if I can wait any longer. I know that the 5th generation LS is coming out as a 2013 model and I'm sure that when it comes out it will be extremely difficult to get it below MSRP or at invoice for that matter. I have a couple of questions:

1. How much of a difference do you think there will be between the new generation and the old generation? I know that the 5LS will have the spindle grill like the new GS but how much of a tech change do you think there will be? Will the 5LS get the remote touch system like the RX and GS have? If so, do you think its worth waiting for? I guess I could stop visiting this forum to convince me to wait another year or so.

2. CPO or new? I'm extremely surprised that 2010 and 2009 model LS's are SO cheap. At the dealer I went to, I saw a fully loaded (without Executive Package) 2010 LS with 20k or so miles for $55k?!? If you compare that to a fully loaded 2011/2012, it would be a saving of $20k+!

3. What is the new car process receiving like? I've bought all of my cars brand new but they have never been luxury cars or Lexuses for that matter. Do you have to go to the dealer or do they deliver it to you? How much do the techs mess around with your car before they give it to you? If I was buying the LS new, I wouldn't want the dealership to take off ANY plastic or covers before giving it to me. I'm kinda a control freak about that If people who bought their LS new could comment on the receiving process and how understanding dealers were of people not wanting their new LS's touched/washed/waxed/driven before being given to the owner.

4. Price? Currently, I'm looking at a 2011/2012 LS460L fully loaded (without Executive Package). This retails for almost $90k. Since the 2013 will be a completely new redesign, do you think I could get a good price now? When I talked to the dealer, they were quite skeptical that the new LS would be released in late 2012. Do you think I could work the sales rep a little harder to get it a couple thousand below invoice? After all, I am buying a generation that's about to be old in a year or so.

Thanks everyone for entertaining the questions of a to-be LS owner. I can't wait to be a part of this forum soon!

TtoLS
Old 11-20-11, 10:59 AM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Hey, welcome to the Club! I think you are right that when the new generation debuts there won't be any deals initially. You are in a good bargaining position right now for a 2011 model. As to your questions, here's my two cents -

1. I would look at the promo material for the 2013 GS. I think that will give you an idea of "tech change" you can expect to see in the new LS.

2. From a dollar standpoint, a low mileage CPO in excellent condition is definitely the way to go. And you're right, there are some great deals out there. Even some LS600h's are at great prices.

3. I would think anything you wanted the dealer to do, or not do in your case, would be fine with them.

4. You are definitely in a great bargaining position right now, after all we are nearing the end of the quarter and the end of the year.

Hey, for you this really could be a December to remember!
Old 11-20-11, 11:08 AM
TtoLS
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, Nospinzone. Do you know where I could find the brochure for the 2013 GS? I just went to lexus.com and the inside looks a lot different. More like a BMW/MB, which is not something I'm ecstatic about.. Also, if it matters, I'm not looking to lease or finance. I'm going to pay straight up. Leasing or financing is kind of a rip-off in my opinion...
Old 11-20-11, 12:09 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Is this the link you looked at?

http://www.lexus.com/GS-2013/

Also, I doubt the interior of LS will look like the GS. I thought you were interested in what technological changes it might have.
Old 11-20-11, 12:12 PM
TtoLS
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, I also found a brochure in the GS forums. You're right Nospinzone, I think the interior look will be very much the same as the current LS. I think the only new things will be reworked outside styling (with new grille), HUD, blind spot detection system, and the new 12.3" screen . Honestly, I don't think that's worth waiting another 1.5 years for, especially if I can get a GREAT deal right now. What do you guys think?
Old 11-20-11, 01:08 PM
Justiciary
Driver School Candidate

Default Can you upgrade the Bluetooth/Phone on the LS460

I recently purchased a used 2008 Lexus LS 460 with the upgraded Levinson sound system. Can you upgrade the phone system to accept a larger phone book and better usability? The car will not accept more than 1000 phone book entries, but my recently purchased 2012 Genesis does and with it all you need to say is, "call Joe Smith" and it does so. I have to believe the newer Lexuses have a more user friendly system with a larger phone book capacity. Thanks!
Old 11-20-11, 08:40 PM
bsl888
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Waiting for the release of the 5th gen LS is at least over a year away. You'll be buying a 1st year model with some bugs to still be worked out. There will be no bargaining, so you'll probably pay near MSRP. I think the styling will stay similar since the LS tends to be more conservative.

If you like the current generation, then look at a 2010 CPO. It's had a mid model refresh, and probably priced quite low, compared to new. Since it's the flagship of Lexus, you'll see many 4th gen still on the road for a long time in the future. I still see a lot of 3rd gen's, and I think they look quite nice and stately on the road.

I know I will be driving mine for a long time.
Old 11-21-11, 04:29 AM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by bsl888
You'll be buying a 1st year model with some bugs to still be worked out.
This is a very good point and you might want to give it ample consideration when making your decision.
Old 11-21-11, 09:27 AM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you like the current generation, then look at a 2010 CPO. It's had a mid model refresh, and probably priced quite low, compared to new. Since it's the flagship of Lexus, you'll see many 4th gen still on the road for a long time in the future.
EXCELLENT point !

I totally agree.

Derned ......... Now I gotta go car shopping too, after reading this ! LOL !

Happy Turkey Day upcoming to all !

Mikey Lulejian
Out on a dryin' up Lake Oconee, GA
Old 11-21-11, 09:48 AM
TtoLS
Driver School Candidate

Waiting for the release of the 5th gen LS is at least over a year away. You'll be buying a 1st year model with some bugs to still be worked out. There will be no bargaining, so you'll probably pay near MSRP. I think the styling will stay similar since the LS tends to be more conservative.

If you like the current generation, then look at a 2010 CPO. It's had a mid model refresh, and probably priced quite low, compared to new. Since it's the flagship of Lexus, you'll see many 4th gen still on the road for a long time in the future. I still see a lot of 3rd gen's, and I think they look quite nice and stately on the road.

I know I will be driving mine for a long time.
You have a good point. Apparently the early 4th gen LS models had some problem with wind noise and other things as well. I think it'd be safe to buy now. I just have a question for everyone: Is buying CPO a good decision? I've never bought a car used before and I don't know how good CPO Lexuses are. If I wanted to buy my configured LS new, it'd be around $85k MSRP. If I wanted it used, I'm sure I could find it a year old with 20k miles for $20k less. Why would people sell their cars after driving it for only a year? How reliable are CPO LS's? Can anyone who has bought a CPO LS460 comment on that?

Thanks everyone.
Old 11-21-11, 12:45 PM
NobleSpine
Rookie

CPO's are very reliable, my co-worker had one with no issues, also you can buy a car that is in warranty and buy the Lexus Platinum extended warranty at a discount and have good security.
Old 11-21-11, 03:45 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

End of month, end of year....December to Remember
Old 11-21-11, 05:30 PM
TtoLS
Driver School Candidate

What exactly is December to Remember? Is it only for financing/lease or is it also for buying? I'm planning to buy, not finance or lease.
Old 11-21-11, 09:43 PM
bsl888
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TtoLS
Why would people sell their cars after driving it for only a year? How reliable are CPO LS's? Can anyone who has bought a CPO LS460 comment on that?

Thanks everyone.
You may be able to find a 2010 CPO coming off a 2 year lease since 2010's may have been leased at the year end of 2009. Do your due diligence on researching the car, look at its service records. Ultimately, it's not new so there's no new car smell and feel.