LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Is the LS460 Easy to Drive?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-11, 12:42 PM
TtoLS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the LS460 Easy to Drive?

Hello,

Just a quick question: is the LS460 easy to drive? I'm interested in getting the L version because of the extra option packages available, and I was looking through the Lexus brochure online. It puts the LS460L overall length at 203.9 inches. I own a Sienna and I looked up its overall length. It was 200.2 inches! That's crazy! It's also just two inches shorter than my friend's Sequoia! I currently have a Camry too, which is quite easy to pilot around at 189 inches. I haven't had a chance to test drive an LS yet, but how easy is it to maneuver? Pull into a parking space? Parallel park? Back into a parking space? Do you guys worry about clipping corners when turning?

Thanks,

TtoLS
Old 11-16-11, 12:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

haha try the s class at 206"! now that took me a while to get used to

the ls460l is not hard to drive at all. granted if you aren't used to long cars it will take maybe a drive or two, but the car is pretty easy to drive. i drive m3 every day, but when i work on ls460l, i do test drives like that no problem. the ls has pretty good turning and i never had problem parking the car, especially with all the parking sensors and backup camera. in fact, i think it's easier to drive than some fwd cars i have driven, which i often find myself not able to turn the car fast enough
Old 11-16-11, 01:34 PM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's more of a real JOY - No problem whatsoever @!

It's simply smooth as butter.

Enjoy !

Mikey Luleian
Old 11-16-11, 01:50 PM
PhatDad
Driver

Simple. Like rominl said, with all the sensors, camera and turning radius, it's like driving a much smaller car.
Old 11-16-11, 01:58 PM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Well to those of us who bought the LS460 simulation equipment along with the car and went through all the operating manuals that came with it have had zero issues. Having a master's degree in quantum mechanics would certainly help.

In all seriousness, driving the car for the first time was plug-n-play to me. It just works. Although the dimensions may take some getting used to, but nothing seemed "unnatural". The first couple hundred of miles may give you the feeling that you're driving a "boat", but once you're past that point you'd be completely adjusted to the experience.

Just make sure the L version will fit in your garage. Preferably you drive both the short and long versions of the car and decide which is more appealing to you. The air suspension system would be nice to have, but check the difference in parts cost for both options (with/without the air suspension). I think there is a big difference that may be important for your decision.
Old 11-16-11, 02:19 PM
305Busa
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Coming from a cadillac deville, the LS was a breeze to drive. As stated above, the parking sensors help a lot as well in parking. I park mines in the garage and only have about a foot in front and back but hey, it fits.
Old 11-16-11, 02:25 PM
TheDream
Rookie

I personally haven't driven the 460, but my dad has, and he says it's basically the same as the LS400. It feels much smaller than it really is--it feels easier to drive and maneuver than the old mercury sable I used to have. The tight turning circle makes maneuvering very easy. Plus the mirrors automatically drop down when you put the car in reverse so you won't back into a curb and have a better view of what's behind the bumper. When you're driving it on the highway it will feel like a land yacht, which is a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it.
Old 11-16-11, 02:40 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

The turning radius to this car is incredibly tight, which really helps with manueverability. However, the rear camera notwithstanding, the rear visibility is definitely constricted.
Old 11-16-11, 03:33 PM
LXurious
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The car practically parks itself and the technology it has makes it a breeze. The turning radius isnt the best but its not an IS-F M3 or anything sporty like that. I tried to hit a u turn at 40mph and i hit a concrete curb doing 7k in damage because I thought the radius was better but the car is heavy and long. But thats my fault the car was not meant for that. But anyone who says the turning radius is good has never pushed the car to any limit because I couldve made that turn in a camry.
Old 11-16-11, 04:50 PM
OSU
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LXurious
The car practically parks itself and the technology it has makes it a breeze. The turning radius isnt the best but its not an IS-F M3 or anything sporty like that. I tried to hit a u turn at 40mph and i hit a concrete curb doing 7k in damage because I thought the radius was better but the car is heavy and long. But thats my fault the car was not meant for that. But anyone who says the turning radius is good has never pushed the car to any limit because I couldve made that turn in a camry.
Are you kidding me? Who the he_ _ does a U turn at 40 MPH?
Old 11-16-11, 05:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

self park feature is quite pointless. given the amount of space the system needs to park itself, it basically makes parking it yourself a very simple job
Old 11-16-11, 05:30 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes .....
Old 11-16-11, 06:37 PM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the turning radius on my 600 sucks haha. rwd is probably a lot better
Old 11-16-11, 09:34 PM
gs400jon
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LXurious
I think the LS460 has a slightly smaller turning radius than the Camry.
Old 11-16-11, 10:01 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Wait...do you actually find the Sienna hard to maneuver? My dad owns one and I've put a lot of miles on it, and i've never had any difficulty maneuvering it.....

Quick Reply: Is the LS460 Easy to Drive?