LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Nav or no nav? Opinions wanted.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-11, 03:30 PM
LANewsboy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nav or no nav? Opinions wanted.

Howdy all, and thanks in advance for your advice.

I'm currently driving a 2001 LS 430 that I dearly love. But I plan to upgrade to a 2008 LS 460 in the next year or so.

One of the fundamental questions for me is whether the navigation system is an option I need. I've read lots of reviews here, on the 430 board and on Edmunds that were very critical of the nav system. Many owners recommended passing on the nav system.

What do you all think, and how difficult will it be to find an '08 without navigation?

Tnx.
Old 11-15-11, 03:38 PM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

You will want the Mark Levinson Music System. I don't think you can get that without the NAV System. The NAV System is not bad, although Garmin and others are way better. Mark Levinson is wonderful!

If you get NAV you'll want the Prestigious Sociey NAV Override so you can use your NAV, DVD and Phone while moving. Otherwise the standard Lexus NAV locks you out while the car is in motion.

I have a 2008 LS 460 and I use my NAV all the time. Try to get the latest version maps and POI's - version 11.1 if possible.

Good Luck
Old 11-15-11, 03:57 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i don't think i will get another car without nav. i know 3rd party is better, but i don't like anything hanging around. factory ones do the job well for me so far. and yes, you need nav for ml i think, and ml is such a must imho, especially if you plan to just stay with factory setup.

with that said, i think it's going to be extremely hard to find a ls460 without nav. not to mention it probably would hurt the resale down the road too
Old 11-15-11, 04:25 PM
datplayaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

I think navi is a must on a car like the LS, although I don't ever use my navi because it's out of date, I usually use my phone instead, but the backup camera and the ML sound system is nice. There's a 07 LS460 without navi here locally for sale with 15k miles and they are asking 39k.
Old 11-15-11, 04:51 PM
LANewsboy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do you determine the version of nav?

Thanks for the advice.

Three follow=up questions:

1) How can you determine which version of navi a particular car has?

2) Would the dealer upgrade the nav system as part of the deal?

3) Where and how do you get the override system?
Old 11-15-11, 05:31 PM
CJITTY

Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts

Gotta do NAV on the Lexus flagship!! I was shocked when I first heard that NAV wasn't standard!!
Old 11-15-11, 05:38 PM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i don't know guys, the lexus nav is leaps and bounds more user friendly than the ones in the 2011 s-class and 2007 audi a8 also parked at home...
Old 11-15-11, 06:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by LANewsboy
Thanks for the advice.

Three follow=up questions:

1) How can you determine which version of navi a particular car has?

2) Would the dealer upgrade the nav system as part of the deal?

3) Where and how do you get the override system?
1) i think you can click info / setup and then go to dvd to see the version
2) you can always negotiate, it costs about 300 bucks?
3) you can email chung@prestigioussociety.com, around 300 bucks i think

Originally Posted by cheez80
i don't know guys, the lexus nav is leaps and bounds more user friendly than the ones in the 2011 s-class and 2007 audi a8 also parked at home...
for sure, it beats my s550 like that. but it doesn't have 3d, and some aftermarket ones like garmin, or even the iphone/droid, they are pretty darn good and updated. not to mention they have free traffic info, same with bmw and 07-09 s550, and lexus you need xm subscription. pros and cons i guess
Old 11-15-11, 08:52 PM
bsl888
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Gotta do NAV on the Lexus flagship!! I was shocked when I first heard that NAV wasn't standard!!
I've never seen one without NAV, at least here in CA.
Old 11-15-11, 09:26 PM
ALeX300
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

there's no way in hell i'd jump in an LS and stare at this....
Attached Thumbnails Nav or no nav? Opinions wanted.-nonav.jpg  
Old 11-15-11, 10:31 PM
CJITTY

Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by ALeX300
there's no way in hell i'd jump in an LS and stare at this....
That is the most depressing picture I have seen in a long time #LSdisrespected
Old 11-15-11, 11:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

my goodness that's beyond horrible... it actually got a new gs grille right there in the center console
Old 11-16-11, 06:40 AM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The navigation system and Mark Levinson are must haves.

If you don't include these two options peacefully in your purchase decision, expect to have a lot of thoughts about doing major, costly upgrades.

I don't know why Lexus is keeping them as options. To me it's like offering cloth seats on the LS460.
Old 11-16-11, 07:04 AM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 282 Posts

The NAV is the worst feature of the car. I use my super-easy-to-use TOMTOM app on my iPhone. That being said, you are almost certainly not going to find a used LS without NAV. Because even for people who don't want it, it would be like buying a car without A/C. It's just standard stuff required by the resale market. So suck that minor negative up and get with the otherwise best-car-ever-built program!
Old 11-16-11, 09:54 AM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally ........ I think many others have already said it best.

Get the NAV feature. It looks kewl, the dash, with a NAV system, is a WHOLE lot better looking, it makes ya feel important, and if ya love country music like we do, you can know what songs and artists are being played on XM radio or a disk loaded with MP3's.

And THEN: for $ 120.00, go buy a Garmin Nuvi 1350 GPS, so when ya wanna get somewhere, you can do it in style. And actually get there without fumbling around for days trying to program your "NAV" or never getting there because the in-dash unit "Can't find your location."

Per your last question, IF you are planning on buying a CPO car, they will almost ALWAYS update the in-car NAV system to the latest software version as simply part of their in-house pre-CPO stuff. Sorry to use the word 'stuff' but I got tongue-tied.

Oh ! And by the way, if ya come to depend on your $120 Garmin, when everyone else is bi**hing about having to pay $300-$400 to "Update/upgrade the NAV system to the last just-released software version" (that after they've paid the money and had the work completed, it STILL will NOT locate the street outside their residence that's been in existence for the past 5 years - Yes..It's true......This forum is full of stories like this) ........ you can simply lay back, smile, get a cold beverage and realize how much SMARTER you are than many peoples.

<Hopefully at this point at least 1 or 2 people are smiling ..... Is that gun aimed at me ?>

Wishing you great success locating one of the greatest driving pleasures you'll ever enjoy, your NEW LS460,

Mikey Lulejian
Lake Oconee, GA

Quick Reply: Nav or no nav? Opinions wanted.