LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Regenerative Brakes on LS 600

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-11, 10:23 AM
azmd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Regenerative Brakes on LS 600

Have had my 600 for almost a year now, probably the best built car ever in my opinion. My service advisor at Scottsdale Lexus made a remark that the brakes on a 600 would literally last a 100,000 miles without needing pads replaced. This fact or fiction? Thanks.
Old 11-09-11, 10:32 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i tend to say fiction. i don't see how it's so different, it's brakes. unless you don't stop the car at all, pads will be worn just like normal

maybe you can make a bet with the SA
Old 11-09-11, 10:41 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If the brakes work the same as on my Prius, that 100K figure may be right. The motor-generator is engaged in regen mode when lightly braking and can, on the Prius, slow the car to about 7 MPH when the friction brakes take over. (The friction brakes are applied sooner when the brake pedal is pressed hard.) The braking is all done "by wire" with feedback provided to the pedal to give the driver a realistic pedal feel. Another advantage of regenerative braking is much less brake dust on the wheels.

Now, when I drive my LS430 and first apply the brakes at the end of my street, I think "Ahh, friction brakes only. How quaint."
Old 11-09-11, 10:44 AM
azmd
Driver School Candidate

I do remember him saying the actual brake pads are only used for sudden/ emergency braking..
Old 11-09-11, 10:54 AM
brianlin87
Resident JDM Snob

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

To answer your question in short, I'd say Fiction, b/c I can't imagine going 100K miles without your brake pads being replaced. However, I believe what Lexus advertises is a "regenerative braking system". This system is essentially taking a surplus of kinetic energy and applying it to an electric motor thereby slowing down the vehicle, instead of dissipating the heat of kinetic energy found in typical brake systems.

As rominl stated above, brakes and brake pads are typically wear and tear items; I'd be surprised if they lasted 100K miles. Under extreme usage, they will have to be replaced more frequently; however, in this case, I believe that the Lexus Hybrid Vehicles will last longer than normal brakes, but again, 100K sounds a bit high.
Old 11-10-11, 04:24 PM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by azmd
Have had my 600 for almost a year now, probably the best built car ever in my opinion. My service advisor at Scottsdale Lexus made a remark that the brakes on a 600 would literally last a 100,000 miles without needing pads replaced. This fact or fiction? Thanks.

There's probably no definitive way to answer this question accurately without knowing a) one's driving habits b) Your specific normal driving location(s) (city/expressways - open roadways/expressways-bumper-to-bumper/urban/very suburban/hilly/beachy etc) c) The overall road conditions you travels and d) etc.

However, having said that, one of our best friends, who lives nearby to us, owns a 2005 LS430 which he purchased used from a dealer several years ago (with about 30K on it). Currently it has 106,000 miles on it. He was informed a couple of weeks ago (by his dealer) that he should possibly maybe consider a brake job, since his original pads only have 20+ % life left in them ! LOL !

I ran this by our local Automotive shop - which has somewhat of a great region-wide reputation. Because of where we live, this shop regularly services significant customs, classics, new BMW's, M-B's, all types of American & foreign makes, as well as an occasional tractor or back-hoe. The shop owner didn't think Kenny's LS430 brake story was noteworthy whatsoever. He went on to tell me it just is no longer unusual for vehicles to go 100K before needing a brake job. And to illustrate, he told of recently having a good customer bring in a 1996 Ford F150 - which he did a brake job on - that has approx 105K miles on it ! And Yes ! These were the original pads that were replaced.

Does this answer your question ?

Best Wishes,

Mikey Lulejian
Lake Oconee, GA

Having said all of this - Barbie & I are thoroughly enjoying our brake dust-less AKEBONO ceramic pads we just installed on our 30K 2008 LS460. We simply wanted the lack of annoying brake dust - and the superior braking that the AKEBONO pads provide. The original factory pads that were removed still had approx. 85-90% life left in them, as measured.

Last edited by Mikey100; 12-12-11 at 01:49 PM.
Old 11-10-11, 05:23 PM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

ahhh, found the thread i was looking for: user helmar says his car still has 11mm worth of brakes after being driven 50k. impressive.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-like-new.html
Old 11-10-11, 07:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

but as mentioned i think it's only fair if similar driving is done on a normal ls460 to be conclusive. give me a 600hl and i promise you i can make the pads go away in less than 30k miles

definitely no doubt on the regenerative brakes "saving" pads, but how much, that's what i doubt
Old 11-10-11, 07:13 PM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
but as mentioned i think it's only fair if similar driving is done on a normal ls460 to be conclusive. give me a 600hl and i promise you i can make the pads go away in less than 30k miles

definitely no doubt on the regenerative brakes "saving" pads, but how much, that's what i doubt
yes, very true also. let's ask helmar what his daily commute looks like hahaha
Old 11-10-11, 07:57 PM
Aychdot
Driver School Candidate

Slightly off subject. But I used to work on electric light rail commuter trains with regen braking, and we rarely had to replace brake pads. I think there should be no problem getting 100,000 miles out of a LS600h, depending on driving styles.
Old 11-10-11, 09:06 PM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I say it's possible, tho I have absolutely nothing to back that up. But after 34k miles my $40 ceramic pads are yet to show any sign of wear. I still got 80% on them as shown in the last inspection visit, and I don't get any black dust on the wheels.

So the technology, if there is any technology to it, is there. It's just Lexus' decision to use it on the LS600h exclusively. I wonder why the LS600h only tho.
Old 11-11-11, 05:25 PM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JFNash
I say it's possible, tho I have absolutely nothing to back that up. But after 34k miles my $40 ceramic pads are yet to show any sign of wear. I still got 80% on them as shown in the last inspection visit, and I don't get any black dust on the wheels.

So the technology, if there is any technology to it, is there. It's just Lexus' decision to use it on the LS600h exclusively. I wonder why the LS600h only tho.
It's surprising that Lexus, on their Flagship model (LS460), chose NOT to use ceramic brake pads during manufacturing. I am sure that it's more than a simple oversight. But seeing as the real-world benefits of CERAMIC pads are so proven and successful, it's still puzzling.

My Best to all,

Mikey

Old 11-14-11, 04:20 AM
azmd
Driver School Candidate

Agree, thanks for all the feedback
Old 12-08-11, 05:07 PM
realperson
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

brake problem on ls600H clunk sound just before coming to a halt. sorry to spoil the aura
Old 12-08-11, 05:12 PM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by realperson
brake problem on ls600H clunk sound just before coming to a halt. sorry to spoil the aura
time to get that brake actuator replaced

Quick Reply: Regenerative Brakes on LS 600