LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Paint/Maintenance/Snow?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-11, 10:20 AM
TtoLS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint/Maintenance/Snow?

Hi Guys,

This is my second thread on this website. If you read my last thread, you'll know that I'm considering purchasing an LS when the next generation comes out. I can't help myself from looking at pics on this forum through . I have a couple of questions about the car though. I like to do my research well in advance so I know how to treat the car right when I finally get it. If you members will please bear with me and answer my questions, it will be greatly appreciated .

1. How difficult is it to maintain the paint? I currently have light colored vehicles and I was planning on getting a black on black LS. I've heard terrible stories of swirls and scratches in black paint. Also, I live in an area that gets TONS of snow (MA). What extra precautions should I take in the winter?
2. Relating to #1, what wash procedure do you guys use? For my cars, I take them to a self-serve car wash and only use soap (from the hose, not the dirty brush!) and then wash and then hot wax. I don't touch them at all. Will this be sufficient for the LS? (I will DEFINITELY opt out of the washes that the dealerships do.)
3. Maintaining leather. Will washing it with diluted Woolite and then moisturizing it two times a year be enough?
4. Oil changes: Every 3,000, 5,000, or 10,000 miles? Currently, I do all my cars at 5,000 miles (taken to the dealer).
5. Will RWD be sufficient in the snow if I have snow tires? I'd rather stick with RWD and snow tires rather than AWD, but if that's not sufficient for these Northeast winters, I'll opt for AWD.

Thanks everyone!
Old 11-06-11, 03:42 PM
whitetooth
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TtoLS
Hi Guys,

This is my second thread on this website. If you read my last thread, you'll know that I'm considering purchasing an LS when the next generation comes out. I can't help myself from looking at pics on this forum through . I have a couple of questions about the car though. I like to do my research well in advance so I know how to treat the car right when I finally get it. If you members will please bear with me and answer my questions, it will be greatly appreciated .

1. How difficult is it to maintain the paint? I currently have light colored vehicles and I was planning on getting a black on black LS. I've heard terrible stories of swirls and scratches in black paint. Also, I live in an area that gets TONS of snow (MA). What extra precautions should I take in the winter?
2. Relating to #1, what wash procedure do you guys use? For my cars, I take them to a self-serve car wash and only use soap (from the hose, not the dirty brush!) and then wash and then hot wax. I don't touch them at all. Will this be sufficient for the LS? (I will DEFINITELY opt out of the washes that the dealerships do.)
3. Maintaining leather. Will washing it with diluted Woolite and then moisturizing it two times a year be enough?
4. Oil changes: Every 3,000, 5,000, or 10,000 miles? Currently, I do all my cars at 5,000 miles (taken to the dealer).
5. Will RWD be sufficient in the snow if I have snow tires? I'd rather stick with RWD and snow tires rather than AWD, but if that's not sufficient for these Northeast winters, I'll opt for AWD.

Thanks everyone!
Many car owners don't care about scratches and swirls. Not visible on grey colored cars and black if the sun is not shining but the sun make them all visible if the car is black. I'm sure all horror stories are true. If you are happy with the light colored vehicles never buy a black one. Toyota painting was good until 1992 before they changed the technology to water soluble. Now it is good for the environment only. Use a LED lamp and you see what it is about.

Extra precautions for winter is not needed if the Lexus is made for winter regions. Do not import from other locations.

I use Zaino leather in a bottle and as often as the leather is dirty. Every 3 months a bit is better as 2 times a year with cleaner.
Industry profit is better if you change the oil quite often. There are systems without a need to change the oil. This is killed like the electric car. With 5 k you are on the secure side. 10 k is def. not killing the machine.
AWD is better as RWD, a truth for all seasons but it costs more. At least the additional weight costs gas. Hybrid is ideal in this case: One engine for one axle.
Old 11-06-11, 05:12 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 408 Likes on 282 Posts

Totally forget about the rear wheel drive car in the snowbelt, snow tires or not. It's a sled. Here in Pittsburgh I've had 2 LS430s and a 2007 LS460 rear wheel drive and, like I said, forget about it. The only reason I even could have those cars is because I had a Honda CRV mainly for my teenage daughter but for me, too, when it snowed.

But my 2009 Ls460 AWD is like a snowmobile. The last two winters were awful and the AWD LS really rose to the occasion. It went in anything and everything. If you can afford an LS and live in the snowbelt, you must spend the few additional scheckels for one with AWD.

Last edited by daryll40; 11-07-11 at 07:47 AM.
Old 11-06-11, 08:02 PM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Guys,

This is my second thread on this website. If you read my last thread, you'll know that I'm considering purchasing an LS when the next generation comes out ....

Thanks everyone!
I am confused by your question # 4 ?

The ONLY correct answer I know of is: You change your oil at whatever interval point is specified by the auto manufacturer - For the YEAR and MODEL you purchase. That is, unless any factory warranty is of no concern of yours. Therefore, until you specify the a) Year b) Make and c) Model that you are planning to buy, this question cannot as of today be answered.

Best Wishes to all,

Mikey Lulejian
Lake Oconee, GA

Old 11-07-11, 02:28 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

1. Black paint is a PITA to maintain.
2. I handwash my car. In a pinch you could use the hose at a car wash, but under no circumstances would I use their "wax". That's what Zaino is for.
3. Ditto what Whitetooth said.
4. Ditto what Mikey said.
5. I guess I'll rely on what Daryll said. I also live in MA, but have never driven mine in the snow. However, my wife has a RWD Jaguar and with snow tires that car goes through even the deepest snow, and she is not exactly an accomplished winter driver (thankfully she doesn't read my posts here).
Old 11-07-11, 05:25 PM
bsl888
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are obsessive about the appearance of your car's paint, then do not get black. Otherwise, you will need a foam gun for soaping up the car, then you will need a power washer, followed by a leaf blower (used only for the car, not leaves) or compressed air. Finally, you can use the microfiber towel to finish the drying process. After all that, you will still get minor scratches since inevitably you or someone will touch the car, so scratches will show up.

Eventually, you will need a random orbital polisher (porter cable), and polish your car 2-3 times a year and become a detail expert.

If your not that obsessive, then use the two buckets method with screens on the bottom of the buckets. Oh, don't look at your black car in direct sun light so you won't see the swirls. I only buy light color cars because I am obsessive about the paint.

For question #4, most likely next gen LS will follow the new recommendation, on some models, of using synthetic 0W20 oil at 10K interval.
Old 11-07-11, 05:55 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

I agree with Daryll, don't even think about driving the LS 460 RWD in the snow. I drove mine once in a couple inches of snow and it was terrible. I drive my SUV in the snow and ice and keep my LS 460 garaged most of the winter.
Old 11-08-11, 06:13 PM
PetesLS400
Lead Lap

I'm selling LS460 snow wheels... car drove like a dream even in DEEP snow with these tires.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/whe...-for-sale.html
Old 11-08-11, 06:39 PM
xsbc63x
Rookie

agreed with petes, I have snow tires on my ls430 and that thing handles/drives awesome here in Wisconsin and upper Michigan!
Old 11-16-11, 12:45 PM
TtoLS
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone. You've helped me decide on getting an AWD version. I really want to get black though and I think I'm going to stick with 5,000 mile intervals on oil changes. I think I'll do a quick wash (with a spray gun) at my local wash center every Saturday with a spray on wax every three months. I'll also vacuum, clean, and lotion the leather every four months. How does that sound?
Old 11-16-11, 01:32 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 408 Likes on 282 Posts

Sounds like better maintenance/appearance care than 99% of America probably does! Also, you might want to consider SMOKY GRANITE. It's 50% silver and 50% black. It's dark. Looks as classy as black but I think they sell more of that color (I have one) so it will make your selection field larger. Midnight blue might be worth a look too for someone leaning toward black.
Old 11-16-11, 02:51 PM
Nospinzone

Thanks everyone. You've helped me decide on getting an AWD version. I really want to get black though and I think I'm going to stick with 5,000 mile intervals on oil changes. I think I'll do a quick wash (with a spray gun) at my local wash center every Saturday with a spray on wax every three months. I'll also vacuum, clean, and lotion the leather every four months. How does that sound?
You had me all the way until the part about a spray on wax every three months. If you do that I swear I'll disavow you as a Massachusetts neighbor, and write you out of my will.

And you want to get a black car?! No way with car wash spray on wax. You have to use Zaino or any other high quality polish. Zaino is incredibly easy to use and will make your black paint really pop.

If necessary we can do one of those interventions to get you back on the straight and narrow path.
Old 11-16-11, 03:08 PM
TtoLS
Driver School Candidate

Nospinzone, I was talking about a spray on Zaino wax. Not the car wash stuff on my 70k Lexus.
Old 11-16-11, 04:03 PM
Nospinzone

Ah, OK, I'll reinstate you in the will!
Old 11-17-11, 12:13 PM
Strad6708
Rookie

If you value your sanity, you will not purchase a black LS460. I have a black 2010 AWD, which allegedly has more scratch resistant paint. I'd hate to see the non scratch resistant paint. Out of the sun, the sheen of a black car is beautiful, but in the sun it looks horrible. I desperately wish my car was smokey granite mica, truffle mica, or silver.

I live in Chicago and the AWD is a must. It turns the car into an absolute tank in the snow. I feel incredibly stable and secure in it. The car is incredibly capable in treacherous situations.

Quick Reply: Paint/Maintenance/Snow?