LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Sticky buttons

Old 11-05-11, 08:44 AM
qh0st
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy Sticky buttons

Anyone have any idea on how to clean the center console button? My kids spilled soda on it and now my center console buttons are sticky.

How do I remove the center console so I can clean the buttons? Would rubbing alcohol work?
Old 11-05-11, 12:39 PM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by qh0st
Anyone have any idea on how to clean the center console button? My kids spilled soda on it and now my center console buttons are sticky.

How do I remove the center console so I can clean the buttons? Would rubbing alcohol work?

I'd just squirt some Goo Gone on a paper towel and start rubbing

Whit
Old 11-06-11, 02:43 AM
Clean1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know how to remove the console. I am sure someone will chime in on this.

However, I definitely would not use alcohol or Goo Gone or any cleaner other than water. Soda is basically sugar or sugar substitute and water. Anything else may harm the finish on the console or damage the buttons themselves as they are made from some type of plastic

I recommend using a soft dampened (not dripping wet) soft cloth and Q-tips to clean the buttons and the console as best you can.

If this method does not clean off enough of the sticky stuff & if no one posts how to remove the console, you may have to take it to the dealer
Old 11-06-11, 12:07 PM
kitchamp
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear that qh0st. I think you are talking about the center wood part, where the gear shifter is located? If so, check out these threads:

The first posted PDF is great. Follow it through step 7 https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...dunit-yet.html

In summary:

1. Open the center console box. At the front, there is a little piece of plastic that you can pop off. Just pull straight up.

2. Pull off the side panels on each side of the console (soft leather pieces). Start by pulling the front most part outward, and then move backwards popping the clips outward as you go. The last two are tabs that plug backwards towards the back of the car, so when you get to this last pair just slide the piece forwards towards the front of the car.

3. There are 2 screws on the drivers side that attach the wood plate to the shift box. unscrew these (phillips I think).

3. Unscrew the shift ****

4. To remove the wood, just pull upwards all the way around. It is secured by clips. Caveat: In this step you do run the risk of scratching the wood, specifically at the joint between the ash tray and the center piece. If you are concerned or have never done this before, try putting some masking tape at this joint so that when you pull the pieces up they don't rub and scratch each other.

This piece does have a few connectors, depending on the options you have (seat heat/cool, rear sunshades, trans ETC, air suspension, etc) that need to be disconnected. From there, you might have to disassemble/change the switches. Also if you need to remove the ashtray, pull it out and watch for the connector on back, it's rather short. Good luck.
Old 11-06-11, 12:22 PM
xole
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are a number of commercially available electronic contact cleaners that come with either aerosol or needle applicators. As others have said, make sure the switches are removed and no power is present.
You can find these at either an auto parts store (CRC is popular) or any electronics store. If you are cleaning larger contacts a good ole pencil eraser works well.

Good luck.