LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Free Car Wash from dealer

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-15, 09:11 AM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm with I8ABMR when s/he wrote that many of us aren't any better at washing cars than the stealers. Besides, after the first door ding or swirl mark in the paint, it's "just a car" again. Perfection doesn't and can't last. Plus it's a giant drag worrying about it!

Years ago, I also frequently hit up my stealer for washes. I'd seek out the same lot tech and tip him so I'd get a (modestly) better than average wash. After not very long, he'd see me coming and would move me to the front of the queue when possible. Quid pro quo!
Old 01-26-15, 09:39 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny Rad
I'm with I8ABMR when s/he wrote that many of us aren't any better at washing cars than the stealers. Besides, after the first door ding or swirl mark in the paint, it's "just a car" again. Perfection doesn't and can't last. Plus it's a giant drag worrying about it!

Years ago, I also frequently hit up my stealer for washes. I'd seek out the same lot tech and tip him so I'd get a (modestly) better than average wash. After not very long, he'd see me coming and would move me to the front of the queue when possible. Quid pro quo!
It dependents on how much of an investment you place on your cars paint. It's true that any washing will introduce spider webbing let alone just driving however if you wash your car property with the least aggressive method you can greatly prolong the time before you will need another detail.
If you take your car to the dealer you are guaranteed to remove the protective UV sealant and you will introduce marks on the car that will require paint correction. It will be an eye sore in the sun.
A properly detailed car with the paint burnished and a quality sealant applied can go for a few years without another detail if it's properly maintained. Taking it to the free dealer car wash will just undo it in record time.

The high quality automated carwashes are touch less and will not introduce marks, and they are not terribly expensive however anything that is good for your car is certainly not free.
Old 01-26-15, 03:59 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

If I had a new car and the dealer ruined the paint, they would have 2 choices, trade out for another new car with good paint or send it back to the factory and completely disassemble the car and completely factory repaint it. They really need to learn how not to ruin thousands of dollars worth of paint job.

Last edited by dicer; 01-26-15 at 04:03 PM.
Old 01-26-15, 04:18 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by dicer
If I had a new car and the dealer ruined the paint, they would have 2 choices, trade out for another new car with good paint or send it back to the factory and completely disassemble the car and completely factory repaint it. They really need to learn how not to ruin thousands of dollars worth of paint job.
Dealership car washes don't ruin paint however like most cheap automated car washes and bad handwashing technique they introduce spider webbing that requires paint correction. The kind of wash they use and the amount the use will strip whatever sealant or wax that is applied which will make the paint age earlier. You will never win any case against any dealership because it's the acceptable norm and because it was a free service.

Last edited by Devh; 01-27-15 at 10:00 AM.
Old 01-26-15, 08:23 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh

The two bucket method and quality microfiber wash cloth is the proper way to wash a dark car.
The best way is to use a foam attachment to your hose and apply foam to the car. Then take your microfiber wash mitt and go over each section at a time and rinse the mitt before moving to the next section.

I have used the free carwash at the dealer only because my car is white but it's still wrong.
The Lexus dealership can keep their cheap coffee and all of their fake perks. Those services are made to tempt the new rich. The same caliber people that steal the hangers and towels at a luxury hotel.
Not being rich I can still enjoy the finer things by pulling my own shots espresso and buying high quality detailing products that actually preserve the interior then harm it with the cheap products the dealer uses to keep that car wash free.
One thing I have noticed. We bought a brand new black Dodge Durango Citadel back in 2013. It hasn't seen a hand wash yet. I've been going through a newer automated wash about once every 10 days or so and there is not a single swirl mark on it. At least not in the same sunlight I see swirls on my LS. I am still scratching my head on it but I believe the complete lack of circular motion scrubs from a sandy washmit is probably why I don't have any swirls. Or this Autowash is THAT good. or Dodge has some wonder paint. Either way, I couldn't be more pleased. I realize it sounds crazy but I have zero reasons to make it up
Old 01-27-15, 09:13 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i go through the Lexus Car wash every day that it is above 32 degrees. (closed if it is freezing)

so far i have some slight swirls, but i don't know when or where they were introduced in it's 8 year life...

i will however have a full exterior detail in the spring and have them removed.
Old 01-27-15, 10:07 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by CJITTY
One thing I have noticed. We bought a brand new black Dodge Durango Citadel back in 2013. It hasn't seen a hand wash yet. I've been going through a newer automated wash about once every 10 days or so and there is not a single swirl mark on it. At least not in the same sunlight I see swirls on my LS. I am still scratching my head on it but I believe the complete lack of circular motion scrubs from a sandy washmit is probably why I don't have any swirls. Or this Autowash is THAT good. or Dodge has some wonder paint. Either way, I couldn't be more pleased. I realize it sounds crazy but I have zero reasons to make it up
The newer type of carwashes where it is laser guided and only a pressure wash is probably the best known method. It should be followed up with a coat of sealant every month just because you don't know the amount of strength of the detergent the car wash uses.
This is not just car wash related because if you engage a cleaning service for your house they will bring with them some of the harshest and cheapest cleaners that will gradually ruin your counter tops and sinks. This is why if you want to get a proper clean to the level you expect you need to invest in quality products and do it your self.
Old 02-03-15, 02:10 PM
FreddyG
Intermediate

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by jlawr
I like dealers with great technicians, pleasant people. The rest doesn't matter to me.
I agree, but Pleasant people, while a plus are even optional. If the techs do a Good job and are efficient, that's what matters to me.

I NEVER let them wash our car, because like CJITTY said, it takes some work to fix the swirls. Free is just no cost because it's not free if I have to spend more time to fix it than to wash it by myself in the drive or even a brushless, which works pretty good too, especially in the winter time.

I've got ours swirl free using a Harbor Freight DA buffer and some Lake County pads, along with some Menzerna or compound of choice. Then some glaze, seal and wax. It looks better than new and is sealed for the Bad weather.
Old 02-03-15, 09:01 PM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Oh god I've heard everything now ! Just let them wash it and get it waxed twice a year and it will be fine . The small amount of swirl marks are better than driving a dirty car or wasting time doing it yourself . The interior will be good also with regular cleaning ! I've been getting free Lexus washes for years and its never done any harm to my cars. If its got that many swirl marks a polish will fix it ( Or a new car ! lol )
Old 02-04-15, 02:40 PM
FreddyG
Intermediate

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by LordBowral
Oh god I've heard everything now ! Just let them wash it and get it waxed twice a year and it will be fine . The small amount of swirl marks are better than driving a dirty car or wasting time doing it yourself . The interior will be good also with regular cleaning ! I've been getting free Lexus washes for years and its never done any harm to my cars. If its got that many swirl marks a polish will fix it ( Or a new car ! lol )
I don't consider it wasting time washing and waxing our car. I actually enjoy it, but obviously we like to spend our time differently. Most definitely I'd say that our ideas of how a car should look is not the same. Your clean and my clean is different.

I'm not saying that my way is better or worse, just obviously different.

Peace!
Old 02-04-15, 05:55 PM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Fair call

yes fair call ! I used to love polishing and waxing myself too.. we are all different thank god
Peace to you too
Old 02-06-15, 03:18 PM
PR FIEBRU
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I doubt that i will use free car wash often, but if im around dealer and ride is dirty... mnnnn hell yeah... coffee and wash it is!!!