LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Headlight

Old 09-09-11, 07:07 PM
jmsmiff
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headlight

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum as you can tell. I was an Acura fanatic (still am...the older ones that is) until I bought my wifes LS430 a few years back. Anyway, I bought her an 07' LS460L for her birthday this year. Beautiful. 23k miles, black/oyster, rear seat package and all. I even purchased the extended warranty. Well I noticed not long ago that the driver side headlight was flickering and would at times shut off. When I turned the switch off then back on everything was fine. I took it to the dealer for servicing (30k) and I mentioned it to the advisor and I was told it needed a light bulb abd it would cost $644, not including the service that was due. Of course it wasn't covered by the original factory warranty or the extended one. What are my options...Apart from spending $644 on a light bulb? In my opinion I'm not 100% sure its a light bulb issue, sounds like something else
Old 09-09-11, 07:11 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

welcome,

You can search for headlight replacement or the like, lots of info up here on it, but the just is you can buy the OEM bulbs or aftermarket on EBay for about 25-50 a bulb and then just pull your front wheels off and pull back the inner wheel liner, its about a 30 min job per side to replace your Low beams and a very simple job to do yourself.

The dealer for this one is a total rip off...
Old 09-09-11, 08:58 PM
telmz1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I just installed a set of garax 6000k low beam bulbs and some HID fog lamps about an hour ago. It took about 15 minutes per side. I did not have to remove my wheels, I just turned it to give me enough room to pull the liner back. $644 is absurd!
Old 09-09-11, 09:12 PM
BAUSauto
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We sell all kind of HIDs and LEDs!!! check it out!!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...all-lexus.html
Old 09-09-11, 09:56 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Wowwww...you should complain to the parts and/or service advisor for attempted fraud and straight up highway robbery. Then, report that to Lexus Cust Svc.
Old 09-09-11, 10:01 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

With a price like that it better be for more than a bulb. I would verify. It could be for some other parts related to the part as well. If not go to another dealership quickly.
Old 09-10-11, 01:38 AM
phatskeemz
Driver School Candidate

i have the same thing happening i put brand new 6000k head lights in and one is fine and one comes on sometimes and sometimes it don't if i turn the lights off and on a few times it comes on and stays on??????

dose anyone have any idea what it could be?

thanks
Old 09-10-11, 05:07 AM
jmsmiff
Driver

Well, I'm a pretty solid mechanic and in my experience when dealing with electronics it could be anything. My thought was ok, how do you know it's a bad bulb and what caused it? 29k is not a lot of mileage for a four year old car. The only way to find out is to remove the part and troubleshoot the system! I asked him was this the norm for the 460's he didn't know. I have an 04 LS430 with 86k and I haven't had 1 issue with that car, especially with the headlights
Old 09-10-11, 05:16 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

HID lamps can fail at any time, including prematurely because of manufacturing defects. Your description sound like end-of-life cycling.

This thread might be interesting for you: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...e-back-on.html
Old 09-10-11, 05:37 AM
Grisik
Rookie

I had the same issue. Just replace the bulbs. It's the cheapest, easiest option. $40 for two oem bulbs and 30 minutes of time.
Old 09-10-11, 08:39 AM
jmsmiff
Driver

Originally Posted by Grisik
I had the same issue. Just replace the bulbs. It's the cheapest, easiest option. $40 for two oem bulbs and 30 minutes of time.
$40 for oem? Wow. Iknow that's not a dealer selling those. Is there a DIY written for this somewhere?
Old 09-10-11, 09:03 AM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...placement.html

one of several
Old 09-10-11, 03:53 PM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

before you jump out and buy the cheapest bulb you can find...read this & do your research properly.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...ips-bulbs-real
Old 09-10-11, 06:24 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Before you do anything read this thread the dealer is supposed to replace that bulb under warranty since your car is under it's factory warranty. If they won't contact Lexus HQ in Cali.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-warranty.html
Old 09-10-11, 08:47 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

regardless of cheap or expensive bulbs, here is a helpful tip for our HID setup that maybe help give longer life to your bulbs and perhaps even your ballasts.

When the lights are in "AUTO" mode, the lights come on right when you hit start button..this happens especially while in your garage, even if it is daytime since the sensor may think it is dark out and of course at night.

If you notice, the low beams dim and flicker as the power surges when starting the car. I don't understand why Lexus did not design the lights to come on AFTER the car has completely started. I have seen some basic rental cars have a slight delay before the lights come on...anyway I keep my lights off until the car has started, then turn them on. Ballasts and bulbs don't like inconsistent power, especially during start up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headlight