LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Headlight

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-11, 11:49 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
regardless of cheap or expensive bulbs, here is a helpful tip for our HID setup that maybe help give longer life to your bulbs and perhaps even your ballasts.

When the lights are in "AUTO" mode, the lights come on right when you hit start button..this happens especially while in your garage, even if it is daytime since the sensor may think it is dark out and of course at night.

If you notice, the low beams dim and flicker as the power surges when starting the car. I don't understand why Lexus did not design the lights to come on AFTER the car has completely started. I have seen some basic rental cars have a slight delay before the lights come on...anyway I keep my lights off until the car has started, then turn them on. Ballasts and bulbs don't like inconsistent power, especially during start up.
agree 100%.. i've never replaced a HID bulb using this method.. (all old cars )

it makes sense.
Old 09-11-11, 11:18 AM
KYLS
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
... I don't understand why Lexus did not design the lights to come on AFTER the car has completely started. ... Ballasts and bulbs don't like inconsistent power, especially during start up.
MAYBE, just maybe, they like the service $$$'s that bulbs and ballasts generate from this. Call me a conspiracy theorist if you like, but that was what first crossed my mind upon reading your statement.

Good advice; I wont be leaving my headlights on the auto setting.
Old 09-11-11, 11:47 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

I remember my friend's old toyota solara would start and then about 5-10 seconds later, the DRLs would come on..Cmon Lexus..perhaps it is a conspiracy theory. Ballasts and bulbs (from them) are not cheap and most Lexus owners don't do their own maintenance or parts replacement. I think KYLS is probably right.

the power surge thing is also true for halogens. I always make it a habit to turn off my lights before turning off the car and starting my car before turning on my lights. My lights on all my cars have lasted for years whether xenon or halogen.

Also, for those of us who have the HID fog light mod installed, you REALLY need to watch this on the LS. I turn my headlights and fog lights on separately. I don't leave the fog switch in the on position when parking. The initial power bump for all 4 ballasts firing up at the same time, in my opinion is too much..so I turn on my headlights..then once I start driving I flip on the fogs. Its an extra step, but my cheap China HID fog ballasts for my Acura TL fogs are going on 6 years now and the bulbs about 4 years.

Last edited by CJITTY; 09-11-11 at 11:58 AM.
Old 09-12-11, 08:10 AM
G-SharK
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

jmsmiff - I had the exact same thing happen to me when I first got my car. I had 44K miles on the car when that started happening and I took my car to Park Place Lexus in Plano and they took car of me. It was under warranty and they replace the complete headlight assembly, ballast and bulb. Also one of my side mirror was loose and they replacement that too under warranty. All replacement parts and labor was free and got brand new headlights and a side mirror under warranty. Don't let you dealer talk you out of it. Its under warranty for SURE!
Old 09-13-11, 12:03 PM
jmsmiff
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just talked to the Lexus customer service. Even they agreed that $644 sounded like a lot for a light bulb. They are processing my request, should take five days. In the mean time, as a worst case scenario, does anyone know exactly which bulbs to get and where (besides he stealership) to get them.

Last edited by jmsmiff; 09-13-11 at 12:18 PM.
Old 09-13-11, 03:28 PM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jmsmiff
as a worst case scenario, does anyone know exactly which bulbs to get and where (besides he stealership) to get them.
Go to Ebay and search "New Genuine Lexus Toyota D4S Xenon Headlight Bulb OEM" and you should get several to choose from. D4S is what you are looking for as a Xenon low beam. I note that seller "genuinexenon" has a high rating and sells 2 for $34.99. If these bulbs don't solve the problem, you are not out a lot of money.
Old 09-22-11, 03:42 PM
roundback
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Silverpaws
Go to Ebay and search "New Genuine Lexus Toyota D4S Xenon Headlight Bulb OEM" and you should get several to choose from. D4S is what you are looking for as a Xenon low beam. I note that seller "genuinexenon" has a high rating and sells 2 for $34.99. If these bulbs don't solve the problem, you are not out a lot of money.
do you think this is going be a great replacement for the OEM one ? is it going to look weird or bad ?

i wish i knew how to install these
Old 09-22-11, 04:46 PM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Originally Posted by roundback
do you think this is going be a great replacement for the OEM one ? is it going to look weird or bad ?

i wish i knew how to install these
I haven't installed mine yet. Based upon buyer's reviews, sellers must be selling an acceptable product. Maybe some of the other members can offer you info based upon their experience. You can search the forum for some good instructions as to how to install these bulbs.

Last edited by Silverpaws; 09-28-11 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-22-11, 06:01 PM
roundback
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Silverpaws
I haven't installed mine yet. Based upon buyer's reviews, sellers must me selling an acceptable product. Maybe some of the other members can offer you info based upon their experience. You can search the forum for some good instructions as to how to install these bulbs.
it says it's OEM... the real deal, so it must be legit, are stock ones that come with our cars 6000k also ?
Old 09-23-11, 03:33 AM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

OEM is 4300K.