LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

new car shopping....question about wind noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-11, 06:47 PM
tucker21
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default new car shopping....question about wind noise

so at first i was going to get a 2005 LS430, but after test driving a 460 i have changed my mind and am now looking for the latter.

at first i was going to get a 07 but after reading about the wind noise issue i decided i'd rather pay a little extra and get an 08.
however after looking at a few different carfax reports for 08 vehicles i see alot of "window checked" and "body noise checked" in the service records (generally the same car will have multiple "window area checked" in the service records indicating the owner had complained repeatedly about the same issue without it being resolved).

i thought the wind noise issue was only related to the 07 models is that not true?

is there any other reason besides the improper adhesion in that front window area they would be checking in those services where it says "window checked" or "body noise checked"?

from what i've gathered in my research there is no significant difference between the 07 and 08 (besides what i had thought was the wind noise issue not being present in the 08s) so if the 08s have the wind noise issue as well i can include the 07s in my search.

thanks!

oh also, i was looking at the sl2ic as well as the ML+ ipod kits. on the vais site it says that the sl2ic will override the navigation and bluetooth lockout in the factory unit.
will this allow me to have full control/access to the nav unit while i'm driving?
i was going to get the kit from PS as well as the ipod kit, but if the sl2ic actually unlocks the nav unit i won't have to spend the extra $ on the PS kit and can put that towards wheels and body kit
also, it didn't include the nav unlock feature in the description for the ML+, does anyone know if that unit also will bypass the lockout or only the sl2ic has that capability.

all info much appreciated (i've learned a ton from this site and very excited to join the community).

cheers.
Old 09-05-11, 07:36 PM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

"Wind noise" that was caused by the triangle trim defect was reported is this and other forums for 2007-2008-2009-2010 LS460s, LS460Ls and LS600s. I have not seen reports of this problem for the 2011 models. There were more reports for the 2007 models but that may be because initially Lexus was in agreement that there was a problem but their position evolved to the wind noise being normal and I am sure that many customers accepted that. To better understand their concern when the problem was emerging, look at this thread from more than four years ago - pretty amazing stuff.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...d-threads.html

For most of the cars the DIY triangle trim repair completely eliminates the wind noise problem. Instructions are here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...noise-fix.html
Old 09-05-11, 08:09 PM
tucker21
Pole Position

hey JM,

ya the way that i first found out about this whole issue was by reading that long excellent write up you did.
it was super informative, and i can't thank you enough for taking the time and effort to get to the bottom of the problem as well as you did, really outstanding job.

i was just hoping to get a car without the problem as i'm not super handy and even tho i know its a "quick fix" i was hoping to just avoid having to do it as i'm afraid it will turn into a disaster, and something just doesn't feel right about spending 35K+ on a car knowing i'm going to have to do a home improvement project right out of the gate.
Old 09-05-11, 11:06 PM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And the good news is ...........

After reading all of the excellent information on this problem,
our new 2008 LS460 does not exhibit this at all.

Not to say it won't, but for now, it's quiet as as a tick mouse.

Wishing everyone a Superb Week !

Mikey
Lake Oconee, GA

Old 09-06-11, 03:45 AM
tucker21
Pole Position

had somewhat of an unrelated question but didn't want to clog up the lobby with alot of posts so hopefully someone will read this and have some input.

saw a car that seemed like a good deal: 2008 LS 460L with 66K miles listed for 36,900 in the smokey granite mica color i like.
however when i checked the car fax there are zero service records.
it shows the date of sale and then nothing again until the 66K mark where it shows it being offered up for sale.

it only lists one owner, and surely that person couldn't have just not done a single service could they? why wouldn't it be listed on the carfax? i've never purchased a used car before so i'm not that familiar with carfax, however i have checked numerous reports in this car search and i've never seen anything like this, so i have no idea what to make of it.

any thoughts or input greatly appreciated.
cheers.
Old 09-06-11, 06:30 AM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

car fax is not going to show you much outside of accidents etc.. and even then its never been accurate for me.

You can have the dealership pull the service records performed to date within the Lexus network. You can also just PM me the VIN and I can pull the service records for you and send them back. The dealer service records are the best way to tell how the car was cared for.
Old 09-06-11, 07:06 AM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default All lexus service records are on-line & available for free

Well, there is good news here. Thanks to earlier posts made here on this incredible site.

You must go to a website and REGISTER first. Just copy and paste the weblink I show below.

Then you can enter in ANY Lexus-made VIN # and get the complete Lexus-dealer-performed service records for that vehicle. For free. On-line.

You will choose (After registering) the ICON entitled SERVICE HISTORY.

Obviously, if service was performed at some non-Lexus dealer, those records will not be a part of this vehicle history.

Good Luck and hope this helps you and others.

And it is possible think you can only have 1 (one) VIN "registered at a time." I may be wrong on this however.

HTML Code:
https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home
Mikey
Lake Oconee, GA
[/B]

Old 09-06-11, 03:55 PM
tucker21
Pole Position

thanks for the help guys, i registered an account and have been able to check the service records one at a time.
def a great resource for the used car shopper.

think i have narrowed my decision to a 08 LS460L...don't need the whole reclining back seat or anything, but i like the air suspension that is available on the LWB.
Old 09-06-11, 05:04 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

make sure you test drive the car and listen for the wind noise..

it's really annoying
Old 09-06-11, 07:02 PM
tucker21
Pole Position

ya thats making the process much more difficult as i'm searching all over the country for the exact color combo with low miles.
i am finding much lower prices in other parts of the country (i'm in CA) but i'm not going to be able to test drive a car in atlanta etc...so not exactly sure what to do.

was thinking of just really checking all the available records meticulously and then hoping for the best....or maybe trying to find someone on the forums locally that would be willing to test drive the car for me once i had gotten to the point where i had gotten the deal i wanted and was ready to pull the trigger and only needed a test drive to seal the deal.

i had thought that buy paying a lil extra and getting an 08 i wouldn't have to test drive and worry about the wind noise issue, and was pretty dissapointed to discover that 08 vehicles had the problem as well.
Old 09-08-11, 02:05 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Have you test driven a car with the "wind noise"? If not, try one. You might find that the noise is so slight, and completely disappears if you are cranking up the ML, that it's a non-factor.
Old 09-08-11, 03:38 PM
OSU
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Have you test driven a car with the "wind noise"? If not, try one. You might find that the noise is so slight, and completely disappears if you are cranking up the ML, that it's a non-factor.
I agree! Really, this is a topic?
Old 09-08-11, 05:22 PM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by OSU
I agree! Really, this is a topic?
Although this topic is over four years old, the "LS460 Wind Noise Fix (continued discussion)" thread gets 300-500 views every week (the views to-date are 93,183 and the "LS460 Wind Noise Fix (merged thread)" thread views count is at 163,340 views to-date and it is still actively viewed too ) and the DIY repair instructions thread gets about 100 views every week (the views to-date are 8634) and I am still providing direct support to one or two owners every week. So, yes, I would say it is a "Topic." I have not seen any reports of help with this problem from Lexus here or anywhere else.

Last edited by jmcraney; 09-08-11 at 07:07 PM.
Old 09-08-11, 07:50 PM
tucker21
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
i wasn't that concerned with it until i started seeing quite a few complaints listed on the service records.
there were a number of different vehicles where the owner apparently brought in their car repeatedly complaining about the wind noise.
and this was all recent so apparently it was bothering a good size sample of people.

that being said i'm not letting it deter me from buying a LS460, i'm just hoping to minimize the chances i get a "noisy" model.

and fwiw, it wouldn't be an issue on the vast majority of vehicles, however one of the notable features of the lexus brand is how quiet they are.
Old 09-09-11, 04:05 AM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

My 2008 came with factory "Lamisafe" front windows which apparently helps minimize wind noise. It has not been an issue with me but I am convinced, after reading numerous posts, that the issue is real for a number of car owners. Recommend you look for the Lamisafe windows during your car search as this apparently is one of Lexus's attempt to "fix" the wind problem and I believe, is included in a TSB.

Quick Reply: new car shopping....question about wind noise