LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 2011 noisy pinging at low rpm

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-14, 08:23 AM
jharville1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have replaced many cylinder heads on those models for the hesitation and lack of power issue under light acceleration. The valve guides are worn and valves "vibrate" thus causing the knock sensor to retard timing and cause loss of power. Also knocking on cold start is from piston design. They made the piston skirt shorter which casuses less friction but also smacks around a little until fully heated.
Old 03-16-14, 08:53 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by jharville1
They made the piston skirt shorter which casuses less friction but also smacks around a little until fully heated.
Is "smacks around a little" synonymous with piston slap or is that a different condition?
Old 03-16-14, 09:22 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jharville1
I have replaced many cylinder heads on those models for the hesitation and lack of power issue under light acceleration. The valve guides are worn and valves "vibrate" thus causing the knock sensor to retard timing and cause loss of power. Also knocking on cold start is from piston design. They made the piston skirt shorter which casuses less friction but also smacks around a little until fully heated.
I have none of those symptoms on my LS-460. It's just a "ticking" noise that has been explained to me to be from the high pressure fuel injection system. I have no unusual noises during start up, and my car accelerates nicely most the time. I have noticed a bit of hesitation but have decided that's probably due to the fact I use REGULAR FUEL and NOT PREMIUM. When I floor the car it will fly and fly quickly. I like Lexus service, have had several and what I have decided is if I am going to continue driving a Lexus, make sure it's under the Lexus Platinum Extended Warranty. Lexus needs to get their act together and fix some of these irritating "bugs".
Old 02-17-15, 03:43 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

I wonder if the issue has to due with carbon build up on the valves and top of the piston. I read that this is a negative aspect of DI. From using low quality fuel and how the technology works. It would become louder due to carbon build up. That is logical. I would get a bottle of the Duralube extreme system cleaner (big bottle at walmart) and fill up on some good quality 93 octane gas and see if running a tank through helps a little. I run this through my car every 5k and I like the results. It's only $11. Also, running 87 is not good for a high compression V8. It will make the problems worse. Should not run low octane fuel in the 400, 430, 460, or 600. Just because knock a sensor can retard the timing to prevent pre detonation does not make it good for pinging and sending unburnt fuel down the exhaust system. It has been shown to dirty 02 sensors and you can even ruin catalytic converters. Long periods of idling without driving (15 - 20 min) is also bad for the LS. All of them.

So what’s up with direct injection?

First, a primer on how it works: By injecting gas*oline at high pressure directly into the engine’s combustion chamber, direct injection more precisely measures fuel than conventional fuel-injection systems or old-time carburetors.

The result is more complete combustion and cooler cylinder temperatures that enable a higher compression ratio for greater efficiency and power. Engine technology supplier Bosch says that direct injection can return a 15 percent gain in fuel economy while boosting low-end torque as much as 50 percent.

Combining direct injection with other technologies—such as turbocharging—can deliver even greater gains in economy and performance. That in turn enables carmakers to use smaller displacement engines, resulting in an efficiency snowball effect. Many automakers are marketing DI as pro*viding fuel economy that’s almost as good as a hybrid’s, and with better performance—but without the $4,000 hybrid premium.

Although the breakthrough seems like a dream come true, an unwanted side effect has been emerging. Letter writers have complained to Consumer Reports and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) that over time DI can lead to clogged fuel systems and engine carbon buildup. The result can be engine hesitation and a loss of power—and the need for expensive repairs.

Some carmakers, including BMW and Kia, have issued technical service bulletins (TSBs) to their dealers recommending that drivers use only name-brand detergent gasoline—without ethanol additives—and that they periodically add a fuel-system cleaner when they refuel. (A TSB is an alert that the automaker sends to dealers to warn about ongoing problems with individual models and how to fix them. It may allow dealers to make repairs at little or no cost to the customer as a goodwill gesture.)

Other automakers have devised an engineering fix that works while the car is oper*ating. It involves modifying the engine to spray a small amount of fuel directly onto the valves to help keep them clean.

It’s important to note that not all cars with direct injection experience long-term problems. But if your engine stumbles more than it used to, or it suddenly lacks power, ask your dealer about it. A fix may be available, and you may not have to pay for it.

This article also appeared in the February 2015 issue of Consumer Reports magazine.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 02-17-15 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-17-15, 07:53 PM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Carnut
I have none of those symptoms on my LS-460. It's just a "ticking" noise that has been explained to me to be from the high pressure fuel injection system. I have no unusual noises during start up, and my car accelerates nicely most the time. I have noticed a bit of hesitation but have decided that's probably due to the fact I use REGULAR FUEL and NOT PREMIUM. When I floor the car it will fly and fly quickly. I like Lexus service, have had several and what I have decided is if I am going to continue driving a Lexus, make sure it's under the Lexus Platinum Extended Warranty. Lexus needs to get their act together and fix some of these irritating "bugs".
Such a nice car and yet u go el cheapo on the fuel. Makes absolutely no sense to do that; added carbon-build up along with other problems and for what, a measly savings of 20¢ per gallon????? Really??? As a used car buyer, I may own ur car someday and the least u could do is think of me!

Last edited by Pamperme; 02-18-15 at 02:03 PM.
Old 02-19-15, 03:12 PM
Carnut
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Pamperme
Such a nice car and yet u go el cheapo on the fuel. Makes absolutely no sense to do that; added carbon-build up along with other problems and for what, a measly savings of 20¢ per gallon????? Really??? As a used car buyer, I may own ur car someday and the least u could do is think of me!
Sorry, but CHARITY starts at home. It's NOT carbon build up when the car does it off the showroom floor. They all do it that have high pressure fuel injection systems, even GMC Yukons tick because of the fuel injection system. Turn up the radio and relax.
Old 02-19-15, 08:23 PM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Lightbulb

Sorry, but CHARITY starts at home. It's NOT carbon build up when the car does it off the showroom floor. They all do it that have high pressure fuel injection systems, even GMC Yukons tick because of the fuel injection system. Turn up the radio and relax.
Lol. I'll only focus on the point that concerns your benefit — premium fuel is best for your car. I never linked the "tick" to carbon build up. I was making a reference to your very statement that your hesitation was probably a result of regular fuel. Tick or no tick, your use of regular fuel will play a role in carbon build up. The "savings" at the pump in lieu of disrespect towards your own purchase makes your first sentence sound like more of a confession than a reminder.

Last edited by Pamperme; 02-19-15 at 08:39 PM.
Old 02-20-15, 09:44 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

Lol. I'll only focus on the point that concerns your benefit — premium fuel is best for your car. I never linked the "tick" to carbon build up. I was making a reference to your very statement that your hesitation was probably a result of regular fuel. Tick or no tick, your use of regular fuel will play a role in carbon build up. The "savings" at the pump in lieu of disrespect towards your own purchase makes your first sentence sound like more of a confession than a reminder.
I'm only using REGULAR fuel because the "Senior Diagnostician" at Lexus told me there was REALLY no need in using PREMIUM unless I was drag-racing and that I MIGHT notice a bit smoother shifting. Neither of those have affected me and I"VE never used PREMIUM in any of my previous LS vehicles and never had a problem except one time. I left my LS-400 in the garage for several days while away on a trip and when I started it it DID sound like the engine was coming apart. My favorite Lexus Technician told me to go buy a can of GM Upper Cylinder Cleaner, detach the vacuum hose from the power brake booster, insert it into the can, start the car and let all the contents go into the engine and then allow it to choke the car down. Let it sit overnight and start it the next morning and drive it. I did that and it looked like I was fogging the neighborhood for a few blocks with smoke. It's best to have someone in side the car to rev it up then let it idle when the can in about empty. No further issues with that car.
Old 02-20-15, 09:52 AM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

I'm only using REGULAR fuel because the "Senior Diagnostician" at Lexus told me there was REALLY no need in using PREMIUM unless I was drag-racing and that I MIGHT notice a bit smoother shifting. Neither of those have affected me and I"VE never used PREMIUM in any of my previous LS vehicles and never had a problem except one time. I left my LS-400 in the garage for several days while away on a trip and when I started it it DID sound like the engine was coming apart. My favorite Lexus Technician told me to go buy a can of GM Upper Cylinder Cleaner, detach the vacuum hose from the power brake booster, insert it into the can, start the car and let all the contents go into the engine and then allow it to choke the car down. Let it sit overnight and start it the next morning and drive it. I did that and it looked like I was fogging the neighborhood for a few blocks with smoke. It's best to have someone in side the car to rev it up then let it idle when the can in about empty. No further issues with that car.
Now I see where the "NUT" in Carnut comes from.
(I'm sorry I had too, please forgive me and just laugh it off.......pretty please)

But seriously, I wouldn't trust that mechanic or the senior, super duper (or any other sparkly adjectives) Lexus tech, unless he's willing to warranty any work his (not so great) advice might be responsible for. Again it's only 20¢ difference per fillup, and even the manufacturer recommends it. What Lexus doesn't recommend, however is the cleaner. It's ur car and I totally wish u the best with it, it's just that your approach in ownership maintenance puts more emphasis on a cure than prevention. Prevention is always more cost effective, unless of course ur looking at it from the POV of the senior, grand master, young grasshoppa tech that gets paid for working on it.

Last edited by Pamperme; 02-20-15 at 10:05 AM.
Old 02-20-15, 10:04 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

Now I see where the "NUT" in Carnut comes from.
(I'm sorry I had too, please forgive me and just laugh it off.......pretty please)

But seriously, I wouldn't trust that mechanic or the senior, super duper (or any other sparkly adjectives) Lexus tech, unless he's willing to warranty any work his (not so great) advice might be responsible for. Again it's only 20¢ difference per fillup, and even the manufacturer recommends it. What Lexus doesn't recommend, however is the cleaner. It's ur car and I totally wish u the best with it, it's just that your approach in ownership maintenance puts more emphasis on a cure than prevention. Prevention is always more cost effective.
I FULLY get your point. But I've talked to too many mechanics about this. Using PREMIUM is NOT like giving your dog a treat. Your car will not tell you how good that high dollar fuel tastes and a dog will appreciate a treat. Cars just don't appreciate the TREAT as much as you seem to think. But, I only drive this car until it gets 75,000 miles on it and it's being traded. In the mean time, I have a Lexus Platinum Extended Warranty on it. Lexus has already paid out $5,000 to have all my lower control arm bushings replaced at MY MECHANIC'S SHOP. They only work on Lexus cars and Lexus paid off without a problem on that. IF it makes you feel better I'll tell you I will start using Premium then do as I please. As for me, I've always run a couple cans of Chem-Tool B-12 in my fuel every few months to help with the carbon buildup. Thanks for your concern for my car. I'll give it more love.
Old 07-31-18, 01:31 AM
Samie460
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tick tick tick on and on and on!!

I just bought my 2007 ls460 with about 128k miles with damaged front end needs bumper and headlights..I first didnt notice it because it was windy, but a few days later I go to start the car and I hear the ticking noise and it was so annoying now I'm scared if it is the motor but I know 128k miles is nothing for lexus/toyota, any one know what's the ticking noise and I feel like it's coming from the drivers side of the motor can't really tell, any help would be awesome!
Old 07-31-18, 07:36 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

Default Engine Pinging

Originally Posted by Samie460
I just bought my 2007 ls460 with about 128k miles with damaged front end needs bumper and headlights..I first didnt notice it because it was windy, but a few days later I go to start the car and I hear the ticking noise and it was so annoying now I'm scared if it is the motor but I know 128k miles is nothing for lexus/toyota, any one know what's the ticking noise and I feel like it's coming from the drivers side of the motor can't really tell, any help would be awesome!
Most likely it is your high-pressure fuel injectors making the "noise". Lexus, and many other makes and models have the same noise. It's irritating an expensive luxury vehicle makes this noise, but it's a FACT they do. Nothing you can do about it. Lexus has supposedly added more insulation between the engine compartment and the passenger compartment to minimize this irritating noise. My 2014 LS-460 does the same thing, some times it's louder than other times. Don't worry about it, just drive it. Good luck.
Old 07-31-18, 03:33 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Make sure your car has the damping shrouds on the high pressure fuel pumps at the back of the valve covers.