LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Acceleration Problems after Dealer Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-13, 10:20 PM
Milon
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just had my first oil change done in my ownership of this car and the maintenance light was reset by the dealer after the oil change was completed. The car is having the exact same symptoms that you all have mentioned here. Extremely interesting as I just got back from a 2,200 mile road trip in the car and it did not do this a single time.
Old 03-29-13, 07:32 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

I had my oil changed at an independent Lexus service shop yesterday. And, again I have this acceleration issue that occurs after each oil change. I am confident that this "condition" will spontaneously resolve after a few hundred miles of driving, just as it has on numerous occurrences in the past.

There is another discussion thread regarding this phenomena here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-problems.html

If several owners would enter complaints about this performance issue at the NHTSA SaferCar.gov site I am confident that Lexus would be forced to address it.

I will enter my complaint today.
The following users liked this post:
DrQuality (08-05-21)
Old 03-29-13, 08:02 AM
PEK
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks jmcraney, I just file a complaint as well. This is becoming a safety issue since it's a primary car for my wife to drive around with our son. Hopefully Lexus will address the issue soon
Old 03-29-13, 10:31 AM
jmcraney

Originally Posted by PEK
Thanks jmcraney, I just file a complaint as well. This is becoming a safety issue since it's a primary car for my wife to drive around with our son. Hopefully Lexus will address the issue soon
Be sure to mention in your complaint that the condition you are complaining about is related to the oil change.
Old 03-29-13, 06:40 PM
wchain
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Complaint also filed.

Have not heard a peep from the dealership since I dropped the car off on Wednesday.
Old 04-03-13, 07:14 AM
wchain
Pit Crew

UPDATE: Picked up my car yesterday, the service writer told me that it "acted fine for them" but they went ahead and did the reflash according to CAHA14's post, which references TSIB L-SB-0033-08 Rev 2.

The ticket says "Could not duplicate customers concern, perform ECU Reflash as a precaution".

So far, the car runs stellar. So we'll see what happens from here on out.
Old 04-03-13, 02:51 PM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

"Unable to duplicate issue"....that is a familiar phrase. I've heard it from somewhere...lol.

let me know if the reflash fixes your issue.
Old 04-07-13, 06:41 PM
wchain
Pit Crew

Just updating.

Put about 100 miles on the car this weekend. It drives very well, throttle modulation is smooth, downshifts are eager and power delivery is smooth and linear.

Looks like this reflash fixed it.
Old 04-07-13, 07:16 PM
jmcraney

Originally Posted by wchain
Just updating.

Put about 100 miles on the car this weekend. It drives very well, throttle modulation is smooth, downshifts are eager and power delivery is smooth and linear.

Looks like this reflash fixed it.
The dealer told you that they were unable to duplicate the problem. Why would you conclude that the problem you were experiencing was corrected by "re-flashing" instead of just going into remission (to borrow a medical term)? It is certainly a confusing issue. Even if the problem never recurred in the life of the car it would still be difficult to know if the problem was cured by the re-flashing.

You certainly have a gift for words. Well, you really didn't tell us the re-flashing fixed the problem. You just let us conclude that.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.
Old 04-07-13, 07:32 PM
wchain
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jmcraney
The dealer told you that they were unable to duplicate the problem. Why would you conclude that the problem you were experiencing was corrected by "re-flashing" instead of just going into remission (to borrow a medical term)? It is certainly a confusing issue. Even if the problem never recurred in the life of the car it would still be difficult to know if the problem was cured by the re-flashing.

You certainly have a gift for words. Well, you really didn't tell us the re-flashing fixed the problem. You just let us conclude that.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.
Well, I guess you're correct. I'm just sharing my experience. Didn't mean to offend you or try to give out false information Jim. Not trying to pick a fight or get into a pissing contest with you. I respect your feedback on the board, and your posts have been helpful in the past.

The dealer paperwork said "unable to duplicate", however, the second time it was in they re-flashed the transmission calibration, and reset the TCM memory, and that did not fix the issue.
I don't understand why the dealer would be willing to re-flash the PCM to get me to "go away", unless they thought it would solve my issue. When I showed them the TSIB, they were willing to listen/try. Caha14 spent time replying to this post and shared his experience as well. I'm just trying to offer others hope that have this issue.

I have my own conspiracy theories on the new Engine Calibration, especially what it reads (reflash, and if that doesnt fix, replace the heads), but I would have to write a novel here about it.

If you do indeed have a problem with what I have posted, please contact me in PM and we can discuss further.
Old 04-07-13, 09:04 PM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Wait until the next oil change or so and see if it comes back or not. Mine was flashed like three times and still come and goes. The real fix is replacing whole bunch if stuffs as mentioned in that tsb. Too expensive & hard to do so they refused.
Old 04-07-13, 09:17 PM
jmcraney

Originally Posted by wchain
Well, I guess you're correct. I'm just sharing my experience. Didn't mean to offend you or try to give out false information Jim. Not trying to pick a fight or get into a pissing contest with you. I respect your feedback on the board, and your posts have been helpful in the past.

The dealer paperwork said "unable to duplicate", however, the second time it was in they re-flashed the transmission calibration, and reset the TCM memory, and that did not fix the issue.
I don't understand why the dealer would be willing to re-flash the PCM to get me to "go away", unless they thought it would solve my issue. When I showed them the TSIB, they were willing to listen/try. Caha14 spent time replying to this post and shared his experience as well. I'm just trying to offer others hope that have this issue.

I have my own conspiracy theories on the new Engine Calibration, especially what it reads (reflash, and if that doesnt fix, replace the heads), but I would have to write a novel here about it.

If you do indeed have a problem with what I have posted, please contact me in PM and we can discuss further.
I am sorry if you were offended by what I said. It was intended as a compliment.
Old 04-08-13, 10:53 AM
Grisik
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 07 had the same problem. Dealer reflashed it, did not help. Had it to the dealer 5 more times, never could find or fix the problem. Ended up selling the car because it was a safety issue for me.
Old 04-08-13, 10:56 AM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Lexus corp should see this thread. So sad
Old 04-08-13, 11:21 AM
jmcraney

Originally Posted by Grisik
My 07 had the same problem. Dealer reflashed it, did not help. Had it to the dealer 5 more times, never could find or fix the problem. Ended up selling the car because it was a safety issue for me.
If enough owners enter complaints at the http://SaferCar.gov site then Lexus will be forced to address this issue. Please enter a complaint if you have experienced the oil change related loss of throttle response problem. Since it sounds so crazy and hokey and the problem is only present for a few hundred miles after oil changes it will only get attention if it is identified as a safety concern. There may be a very simple solution to this if it gets the right kind of attention.

Quick Reply: Acceleration Problems after Dealer Oil Change