LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Recommended car alarms

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-11, 11:25 AM
OSU
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommended car alarms

Can anyone recommend a good car alarm for our car? I want something that gives added protection such as if someone breaks a window or if my car moves because someone wants to steal my wheels. Lexus's alarm just isn't good enough.
Old 06-22-11, 12:32 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

viper 5901 or python 991 are great!!!! u can add a glass break & tilt sensor to protect your car.. have the installing shop use either a flash logic fl-can or idatalink ads-al-ca..(these modules talk directly to the factory ecu so no error codes come up.. as well as giving u the remote engine start option) the alarm install will take less than an hr.. u can also add a "smart start"(& gps) link to your iphone/android/blackberry directly to your car.... plus u can still use your oem keyfob to control the security system..
Old 06-22-11, 04:50 PM
bizpage
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently installed a Viper 5902 2 way remote with remote start into my 08 LS460, and added the smartstart 250 GPS. You need a smart phone such as an I Phone, an adroid phone or Blackberry for the purposes of the application. It is the best security plus you can track your car if god forbid it gets stolen. You can put a geo fence around car and you'll be alerted if it moves or is broken into anywhere in the country no mater how fay your away from the car. And like the previous reply, you can add a glass sensor. I use directed electronics, any of their brands will work well though. Good luck!
Old 06-22-11, 05:54 PM
jbrittmart
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what are y'all paying for this if you don't mind me asking?

i really just want the remote start functionality aside from the factory alarm and would like to keep my factory FOB... is that possible?
Old 06-23-11, 04:27 AM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jbrittmart
what are y'all paying for this if you don't mind me asking?

i really just want the remote start functionality aside from the factory alarm and would like to keep my factory FOB... is that possible?

anywhere from 399+, 110 for bypass module. smart start which is around 299. then there are service option choice for smart start/gps
there is a combo option 499+(no pager remote) bcuz they assume u'll use your smart phone

u can use the oem fob..but i havent got my remote start to work from the oem fob (yet) but to be honest i really havent looked into it...( my LS isnt my daily driver)

the 5902 is a great alarm but the extra money u spend on the color remote didnt make sense to me if im goin to use my smart phone? also that color remote needs constant recharging.. my non color remote gets charged once a month(maybe)
Old 06-23-11, 05:17 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the 5902 is great pretty much the same as the 5901 minus the color remote but.. as far as charging the remote maybe once a week and it is a wall charger, no biggie. i wasn't aware that they went down in price soo much but amazon normally have brand new ones and you can just buy it and have a shop install it and maybe you can save some cash..
Old 06-27-11, 05:17 AM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lextrician
the 5902 is great pretty much the same as the 5901 minus the color remote but.. as far as charging the remote maybe once a week and it is a wall charger, no biggie. i wasn't aware that they went down in price soo much but amazon normally have brand new ones and you can just buy it and have a shop install it and maybe you can save some cash..
i checked fleabay.. its ridiculous how the price varies for a color remote

5901 $199.... 5902 $320... nuts!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/VIPER-5902V-2-wa...item53e8178054

http://cgi.ebay.com/VIPER-5901-LC3-C...item3cb9491028
Old 07-06-11, 07:23 PM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I have the Viper 5902 in my 4Runner. I bought it new on Ebay for $300ish. Great deal..I like it a lot but it's easy to accidentally press buttons you don't want to. Especially when in your pocket. I was going to get the startsmart but I heard it had issues and the reviews on iTunes for the app were horrible.
Old 07-07-11, 01:14 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

i love the viper alarms and their smart start systems but they are just too pricey imho...i would get the 5901 if i had to choose, but i dont really need it...+ the install i bet is a hassle on our cars :S
Old 07-07-11, 05:01 AM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

actually i can do the install in about an hr,,, w remote start.. an the pyhton 991 is the exact same product as the 5901 just has a diff remote but its 40-50$ cheaper

its the bypass mod that does all the work.. it talks to the oem computer making the install an functionality easy
Attached Thumbnails Recommended car alarms-python-991.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 07-08-11, 12:21 AM
melymel96
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Does this disable the feature where you walk up to your car and you just open the door as it knows the key fob is in your pocket?

I thought in the past that remote start wasnt capable on an LS?!?

If everything still functions like stock and I can get remote start I'm in. Been wanting it forever.
Old 07-08-11, 03:15 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

it works well most of the time...but if u forget something in the car u need to use the the remote to deactivate the aftermarket system if the system just been armed.. theres a delay between the factory an aftermarket on an off.. 15secs or so
Old 07-08-11, 08:05 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

interesting i had the 5902 on prior ride it was pretty good, i think i prefer compustar had them both.
Old 07-09-11, 05:11 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

compustar works well enuff.. but w smartstart gps & oem keyfob control of the aftermarket alarm (except remote start) an not having to walk around w 2 fobs makes life a lil easier.. so i chose dei.. i think autopage makes a few good products as well.. but it all boils down to personal preference.. dei is a large enuff company where i dont have to worry about them goin outta business anytime soon...
Old 09-05-13, 06:29 PM
Cuban
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Need Help of Final Decision

Originally Posted by Shibumi1
viper 5901 or python 991 are great!!!! u can add a glass break & tilt sensor to protect your car.. have the installing shop use either a flash logic fl-can or idatalink ads-al-ca..(these modules talk directly to the factory ecu so no error codes come up.. as well as giving u the remote engine start option) the alarm install will take less than an hr.. u can also add a "smart start"(& gps) link to your iphone/android/blackberry directly to your car.... plus u can still use your oem keyfob to control the security system..
Hi Shibumi,

I just got my first Lexus and got me 2014 IS-350 F-Sport, I love it!!!

I just want to make sure I get the right system for my car, so that I only need to carry my OEM key fob to control the entire system.

Also, will the car still automatically unlock once it senses me next to it, if I install one of those alarms?

I have been reading a lot and it seems like your the man when it comes to this..

So please advise as to which alarm you recommend I buy.

Quick Reply: Recommended car alarms