LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Will your cell phone drain the key fob battery ??

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-12, 05:47 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

i have never had an issue with fob batteries...i keep the fob in my pocket and I have yet to change a battery on my key fob...on my old 460 and my 600 now..never an issue
Old 10-30-12, 06:20 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Valley101
Have not experienced this in my 2012. Previously owned a 2010 and this would happen sometimes and not others. Finally, I took note, that this only happened on my property. Whenever I was gone from home this never happened. In my case I believe something in the area of where I lived was affecting the signal between the smart key and the starter push button.
I think you have a better understanding of this issue than some. The battery life is unlikely to be affected by anything you are carrying, including smart phones.

I've tried to explain this issue here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/6960885-post5.html
Old 10-31-12, 02:52 PM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyV
What model years provided the key fob and the key card?

My pre-owned 2007 came with just two fobs - no cards.
Anyone know this?

Thanks.

Last edited by RandyV; 10-31-12 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-31-12, 05:18 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jmcraney
The battery life is unlikely to be affected by anything you are carrying, including smart phone.
I have found otherwise.

We purchased 2 credit card style Lexus "smart card" fobs for my wife's CT. I carry mine in my wallet and my wife carried hers in her cell phone wallet. Her iPhone and smart card were only separated by a 1/16" thick piece of leather. The battery in the smart card died every 2 weeks. The car would not sense her presence so she needed to use a key to open the door. The only way she could start the engine was to push the start button with the smart key fob.

It seems that the RFID chip is sensed passively so the engine can be started without a good fob battery yet the proximity sensor that activates the door handle sensors requires a good battery in the smart key fob in order to communicate and activate the door sensing circuit.

Her smart card fob battery died twice when it was stored next to her cell phone. My cell phone is carried on my front pocket and the smart key fob for the CT is always in my wallet in my back pocket and my fob battery has not died. Based on this, and what the tech told us, the fob's transmitter circuit comes alive and constantly tries to communicate when stored with a cell phone. This causes early battery failure in the fob.

JR
Old 10-31-12, 05:38 PM
FLYCT

Originally Posted by RandyV
Anyone know this?

Thanks.
Smart cards are optional on the LS.

The LS only came with two FOBS (smart credit card style fobs can be purchased)
The CT only comes with two FOBS (smart credit card style fobs can be purchased)
My SC430 originally came with two remote key FOBs, one Valet key and one wallet key.

JR
Old 10-31-12, 06:34 PM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYCT
I have found otherwise.

We purchased 2 credit card style Lexus "smart card" fobs for my wife's CT. I carry mine in my wallet and my wife carried hers in her cell phone wallet. Her iPhone and smart card were only separated by a 1/16" thick piece of leather. The battery in the smart card died every 2 weeks. The car would not sense her presence so she needed to use a key to open the door. The only way she could start the engine was to push the start button with the smart key fob.

It seems that the RFID chip is sensed passively so the engine can be started without a good fob battery yet the proximity sensor that activates the door handle sensors requires a good battery in the smart key fob in order to communicate and activate the door sensing circuit.

Her smart card fob battery died twice when it was stored next to her cell phone. My cell phone is carried on my front pocket and the smart key fob for the CT is always in my wallet in my back pocket and my fob battery has not died. Based on this, and what the tech told us, the fob's transmitter circuit comes alive and constantly tries to communicate when stored with a cell phone. This causes early battery failure in the fob.

JR
I stand by my comment.
Old 10-31-12, 08:21 PM
FLYCT

Originally Posted by jmcraney
I stand by my comment.
Sir,

I agree with you that RFI can interfere with devices such as electronic key operation. My 300ZX's windshield wipers would turn on every time I passed a particular intersection. There was a cell phone tower about a block away.

But I also am convinced that storing electronic key near devices like cell phone will cause premature battery depletion in the electronic key fob. My wife experienced a depleted battery in her fob twice in a 4 week period while storing her smart key next to her iPhone in her cell phone holster.

Lexus also states the same in the owner’s manual.

JR
Attached Thumbnails Will your cell phone drain the key fob battery ??-keysjpg.jpg  
Old 11-01-12, 10:14 AM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYCT
Smart cards are optional on the LS.

The LS only came with two FOBS (smart credit card style fobs can be purchased)
The CT only comes with two FOBS (smart credit card style fobs can be purchased)
My SC430 originally came with two remote key FOBs, one Valet key and one wallet key.

JR
Thanks, JR.
Old 02-18-13, 08:48 PM
nebrask
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don' think the phone causes battery to drain. Check this out...seems to work. www.intellacase.com
Old 02-18-13, 09:41 PM
FLYCT

Originally Posted by nebrask
I don' think the phone causes battery to drain. Check this out...seems to work.
This only exists as an idea at this point. They are looking for people to help with funding to develop the idea.

JR

Last edited by FLYCT; 02-18-13 at 09:51 PM.