LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Intermittent Sonar Warnings

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-11, 08:37 AM
highroler
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent Sonar Warnings

I am getting intermittent SONAR warnings.

I assume this is part of the parking indicators on the front and rear bumpers--no damage

Other times I get a notice to clean parking sensors...however the car and sensors are pristine/clean.

Anyone else have experience with these warnings and course of action?

Next stop, dealer...
Old 06-06-11, 08:44 AM
Remi
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an LS 430 but I had the same problem and replacing the sensor fixed the problem.
Old 06-06-11, 10:01 AM
iceman76
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you do need to replace the sensors, it just sounds $$$$. Hopefully they are covered under the warranty.
Old 06-07-11, 12:58 PM
smithg
Driver School Candidate

Default Intermittent Sonar Warnings

I have the same problem. It was intermittent, but since the temperature got into the upper 80's, the problem resurfaced. Usually it would go away when the temperature returned to 'normal' but not this time. The check sonar, take car to dealer, indicators are on constantly. I see you are in Georgia. When does your indicators come on? Does it seem to have anything to do with temperature?
Old 06-07-11, 02:07 PM
highroler
Driver School Candidate

Smile

ICEMAN76

Car has 9K miles now and yes under warranty...with all the micro processors on this car, it was the primary motivation to purchase the extended warranty...it now has 8 yrs/100K. I thought I read somewhere that there are over 120 processors...its a lot
Old 06-07-11, 02:17 PM
highroler
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by smithg
I have the same problem. It was intermittent, but since the temperature got into the upper 80's, the problem resurfaced. Usually it would go away when the temperature returned to 'normal' but not this time. The check sonar, take car to dealer, indicators are on constantly. I see you are in Georgia. When does your indicators come on? Does it seem to have anything to do with temperature?
smithg -

I think you are on to something with the sudden increase in heat here in ATL - 65 degree days three weeks ago to 95 degrees this week

Indicators come on a couple of times a week at random. This past Sunday, I thought it was related to heat when I started in really hot parking lot at noon. I am getting notices at both NAV screen and above speedometer

I am going to take a picture of notices with cell phone and then bring to dealer...cause I am sure it won't act up if I brought it to the dealer today...
Old 08-31-11, 06:50 PM
highroler
Driver School Candidate

Smile Part Shortages?

After taking my LS460 in three times to correct intermittent sonar warnings and a NAV system that would show roadways 5 miles away from actual route, I think they finally fixed today. Both problems were correlated to a short in the NAV system that also revealed a steering problem error code during analysis. I think the steering error code is why Lexus didn't want me to drive the car...

Check this out, it was in the shop for 2 weeks!
Why: Parts had to come from Japan as dealerships don't stock NAV screens and processor. During the last 2 weeks it made me wonder if we were experiencing a part shortage issue...

Lesson learned: since problem was so intermittent; my cell phone video of when problems happened was key in getting Lexus to respond. Dealership had to email videos to Lexus Corp since there was little history of similiar problems. Gotta be careful when ya video your NAV screen doing 70 miles an hour down the highway...

Positive experience: new RX350 loaner was so much fun to drive we may buy one.
Old 09-01-11, 11:53 AM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sonar?
Probably more like RADAR warnings unless you're driving around underwater...like back east lately.

Whit
Old 09-02-11, 02:59 AM
highroler
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by WhitBaby
Sonar?
Probably more like RADAR warnings unless you're driving around underwater...like back east lately.

Whit
I hear ya but on two displays it sez clean SONAR

Intermittent Sonar Warnings-intermittent-sonar-issue-.jpg
Old 09-02-11, 07:36 AM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

Wink

Yeah, you're right. I guess Lexus thought 'sonar' sounded more elitist than common old 'radar'.

;->
Old 09-04-11, 08:11 AM
MikeE12345
Pole Position

I believe the parking assist feature does use sonar sensors; i.e. high pitched sound emissions to sense objects (think bats and how they "see" around in the dark). The radar cruise control however does use electromagnetic radiation in the radar spectrum (think - speed traps) to sense objects and calculate distance/speed information. They are completely different technologies and there is nothing "elitist" about their names.
Old 09-05-11, 07:49 AM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MikeE12345

They are completely different technologies and there is nothing "elitist" about their names.
Maybe I should have said the 'sonar' name sounds more hi-tech or stealthy than mere radar.

I spent 6 months in the Navy's Fleet Sonar School in Key West, FL in the 60's. They made sure we knew the difference between sonar and radar.

Whit
Old 09-05-11, 08:52 AM
iceman76
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WhitBaby
Sonar?

Whit
SONAR=originally an acronym for SOund Navigation And Ranging.

RADAR=radio detection and ranging
Looked like there was some confusion so I figured it would be best to clear it up.