LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 vs. 740i

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-11, 11:54 PM
Riceater
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing I really like about the 740 is the styling. I wouldn't pay what they want for those though. I looked at one at our local dealer a few weeks ago and I would definitely get an LS over that. Doesn't even have LED interior lighting, what the hell? lol. Until Mercedes and BMW get rid of the GODAWFUL iDrive systems, I'll forever be a Lexus fanboy. Not to mention reliability.. my family has had 4 different Lexus models and not one of them have ever had any issues aside from recall crap. And judging by what I've seen on these forums even if you don't opt for an extended warranty in 4 years, which I'm not sure why you wouldn't if you have the money, you won't be stressed about out of pocket repair expenses on all of the electrical gadgetry like a lot of people complain about with most of the newer german cars.
Old 05-04-11, 11:58 PM
LiveWire
Rookie

Originally Posted by Riceater
The only thing I really like about the 740 is the styling. I wouldn't pay what they want for those though. I looked at one at our local dealer a few weeks ago and I would definitely get an LS over that. Doesn't even have LED interior lighting, what the hell? lol. Until Mercedes and BMW get rid of the GODAWFUL iDrive systems, I'll forever be a Lexus fanboy. Not to mention reliability.. my family has had 4 different Lexus models and not one of them have ever had any issues aside from recall crap. And judging by what I've seen on these forums even if you don't opt for an extended warranty in 4 years, which I'm not sure why you wouldn't if you have the money, you won't be stressed about out of pocket repair expenses on all of the electrical gadgetry like a lot of people complain about with most of the newer german cars.

Get the beemer, its more fun to drive!
Old 05-05-11, 06:05 AM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LiveWire
Get the beemer, its more fun to drive!
Is this your final answer? Yeah, get the beemer if you enjoy maintaining close relationships with dealer personnel. My friend visits the dealership on almost a monthly basis for correction of various malfunctions for her new 535i. It is always something different. They recognize her by name as soon as she enters the building and she just feels so special.
Old 05-05-11, 06:59 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 160 Posts

I have never owned a BMW and probably never will for various reasons but is the reliability really that bad? Even if it is bad it is all covered under warranty anyway so I don't think it is that big of a deal. Plus all of the maintenance is free, can't beat that. Are the reliability issues typically just minor issues or leave you on the side of the road issues? Too bad Lexus doesn't cover all the maintenance during the initial warranty period. That would be nice.

Last edited by patgilm; 05-05-11 at 07:36 AM.
Old 05-05-11, 07:50 AM
mrphelps01
Driver School Candidate

I've owned a number of BMW's in the past and never had any mechanical problems with them. (Perhaps the newer ones are different.) Anyhow, I'm not aware of BMW ever having any issues as serious as the valve spring replacement required on many LS'. At this point, no one knows how that work will pan out in the long term for those vehicles that had to have it.

Someone also noted that the LS/740 debate came down to luxury v. sportiness. While the LS is probably quieter and a bit more sumptuous, the 740i certainly isn't lacking in the luxury department, especially if you opt for the luxury seating package (about a $3,000 option!). I'd go with the 740i. Wish I had at least looked at it when I had the chance.
Old 05-05-11, 08:08 AM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mrphelps01
I've owned a number of BMW's in the past and never had any mechanical problems with them. (Perhaps the newer ones are different.) Anyhow, I'm not aware of BMW ever having any issues as serious as the valve spring replacement required on many LS'. At this point, no one knows how that work will pan out in the long term for those vehicles that had to have it.
How about the typical $7,000-$9,000 coolant leak the 7 Series have.. I'd much rather have a LS460 that has an issue that the auto manufacturer takes care of before failure. Plus give you either an extended warranty for FREE or if you have an existing one they give you a $500 credit. Would you rather have an issue down the road that is common and will cost you thousands?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoCED1jyfL4
Old 05-05-11, 09:12 AM
LiveWire
Rookie

Originally Posted by CDW91
How about the typical $7,000-$9,000 coolant leak the 7 Series have.. I'd much rather have a LS460 that has an issue that the auto manufacturer takes care of before failure. Plus give you either an extended warranty for FREE or if you have an existing one they give you a $500 credit. Would you rather have an issue down the road that is common and will cost you thousands?

Wow! That is interesting!
Old 05-05-11, 10:22 AM
mrphelps01
Driver School Candidate

I think he says that's a 2002 7 series he's working on. Wasn't that the first year of that particular model? Have any of the model years since then, including the new model, had the same problem? Also, this clip appears to be a commercial of some kind, so consider the source. I'm not saying the problem isn't real, I'm just saying...It wouldn't be the first time someone tried to sell you something you didn't need.

And, as for the comparative integrity of Lexus, does anyone here really believe that they were completely unaware of the valve spring issue until 2010? I'm not saying that BMW is any better, I just don't believe that Lexus is somehow above the fray.
Old 05-05-11, 11:04 AM
amcdonal86
Pole Position

How about a nice new Jaguar XJ! The Supersport is a real fire-breather, and they're not nearly as common as BMWs, Mercedes and Mercs!

Questionable exterior looks, but very gorgeous interior, lots of panache, lots of rattles and squeaks, will only leave you stranded once a week!
Old 05-05-11, 12:56 PM
stanatl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had three Lexus vehicles (GS430/LS430/LS460 Sport) and one BMW (550i Sport). Objectively, I had significantly more issues with each of my Lexus cars than I did with the BMW. I went back to Lexus after the BMW came off it's 3 year lease because I didn't want another 5 series (same body style as the one I turned in) and the MB E550 Sport that I had on order fell through because MB rennegged on the lease deal.

The Lexus models each had fairly major problems (recalls/other mechanical and electrical issues) that were handled swiftly and efficiently by Lexus Service. With a few exceptions, they treat you right and that mitigates some of the frustration of the problems. In the 3 years that I had the BMW, I had no mechanical issues and a couple of minor programming glitches. Other than routine maintenance, my car was almost never at the dealer. The much panned I-Drive system was not nearly as bad as the "experts" who write about these things said and the car was a blast to drive. BMW has also made significant improvements to the system compared to when it first came out and even compared to the system in my 2007 model.

I test drove the 750i before I went to the LS and the price point was just too high for a company car but I can tell you that I really liked how it drove and handled.

If you are keeping the car for the long term then perhaps Lexus is a better option. On the other hand, if you rotate cars ever 3 years and don't mind the cost then the BMW with the included maintenance is a good choice. Of course if you drive hard then the choice is much easier - the BMW hands down. Even with the Sport package the LS doesn't come close to a BMW.
Old 05-05-11, 02:08 PM
sholaesq
Rookie

Originally Posted by CDW91

That is a 745i and that problem is not a common problem to that engine. I have a 545i and the engine is flawless.

Besides, when bmw has a common engine problem , they typically fix it and give you an extended warranty like they just did for the 535i engine where they extended the warranty on high pressure fuel pumps up to 125k miles.
Old 05-05-11, 02:35 PM
up4speed
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sholaesq
That is a 745i and that problem is not a common problem to that engine. I have a 545i and the engine is flawless.

Besides, when bmw has a common engine problem , they typically fix it and give you an extended warranty like they just did for the 535i engine where they extended the warranty on high pressure fuel pumps up to 125k miles.
I find it hard to believe that it is NOT a common problem, when this company invested all that money in engineering and production for a custom part to solve the high cost of repair. If there were only a handful of these failing, not only would it not be worth his costs, but he probably wouldn't even know about it failing. If I had to guess, I wouldn't be surprised if at least 5% of the cars over 120,000 miles have this issue. I have nothing to base this opinion on, other than common business sense.
Old 05-05-11, 02:52 PM
sholaesq
Rookie

Originally Posted by up4speed
I find it hard to believe that it is NOT a common problem, when this company invested all that money in engineering and production for a custom part to solve the high cost of repair. If there were only a handful of these failing, not only would it not be worth his costs, but he probably wouldn't even know about it failing. If I had to guess, I wouldn't be surprised if at least 5% of the cars over 120,000 miles have this issue. I have nothing to base this opinion on, other than common business sense.
I am a long time member of bimmerfest.com and this is the first time I am even hearing about this problem in the 745/545i engine. There have been several small issues discussed on those engines but never read about this one.
Old 05-05-11, 04:36 PM
Strad6708
Rookie

Please correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the 740 just have a 6-cylinder engine? 315 hp in the BMW vs 380 hp in the Lexus seems like a pretty big difference in power, unless the BMW has a lot of torque.
Old 05-05-11, 06:21 PM
sholaesq
Rookie

Originally Posted by Strad6708
Please correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the 740 just have a 6-cylinder engine? 315 hp in the BMW vs 380 hp in the Lexus seems like a pretty big difference in power, unless the BMW has a lot of torque.
Yes, it's a twin turbo 3.0 liter inline 6cyl engine. I don't think the power is adequate for that car. The torque is just 333lb/ft.

Quick Reply: LS460 vs. 740i