LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Wind noise is back with a vengeance after the TSIB was done

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-11, 10:19 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Wind noise is back with a vengeance after the TSIB was done

I was driving around with my wife tonight and had the stereo off and noticed a high pitched whistling noise coming from the drivers side mirror. The noise can be heard with the windows up or down. Its like the wooshing noise was replaced with a whistling noise. There is a little gap between the black triangular piece and the frame of the door. I tried to push that piece in to be flush while I was driving but the noise doesnt go away. It does stop when I put my hand on the bottom of the mirror while driving. I am very frustrated because everything was fine for a couple of weeks and now this. Does anyone have any clues or has gone through the same thing. Please I need some help

I took some video on m phone and sent it to my service advisor and am waiting back to hear when they can get me in. Whats freaking me out is that my service advisor warned me that he had another customer who went through the same thing and they couldn't figure it out. He said he ended up trading the wooshing noise for a high pitched whistle. This is unacceptable and really starting to drive me nuts. I am working 6 days a week and am about to move and this garbage is getting really old

HELP!!!!
Old 02-08-11, 06:19 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

After driving the car for a couple of hours to try to isolate the noise I am pretty sure its coming from the mirror. When the noise is present as soon as I fold the mirrors in the noise stops immediately . This is my second Lexus with a whistling noise off of the mirrors. My GS 350 had the same issue and was fixed when they replaced the mirrors ( but for another reason). I am praying that the guys at Lexus dont fight me on replacing the mirrors or tell me they cant reproduce the issue.
Old 02-08-11, 06:24 PM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you read this thread?
Old 02-09-11, 03:14 AM
Grisik
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got mine back last week after have the wind noise TSIB done. It is no better than when I took it in. Between the valves and the windows the bill was over $6000 according to Lexus. I will be stopping Home Depot on the way home for the tube of silicone and metal.
Old 02-09-11, 09:54 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

They had the shop foreman do my work and the car is quieter from the around the window but now I have this whistling from the drivers side mirror. I thought it might have been unrelated to the tsib but the service advisor told me this morning that the tsib also involved opening up the mirror and insulating inside the mirror as well.

He didnt seem to happy to see me this morning but what am I supposed to do with a whistling LS460??? This wind noise issue can really make an owner seem unreasonable but..........
Old 02-09-11, 03:38 PM
Tharper1
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Smile

Longtime lurker here and 1st post.

Exactly my symptoms after the wind noise fix. Here's what I did. I isolated the whistle by putting electrical tape over the mirror assembly crack and drove several days taking off sections of tape to see where the whistle was coming from and to make sure the whistle went away under all wind/driving conditions. It did. (Top and inside edges were the culprit) Bought a small sheet of the clear stuff that goes on the front end for rocks off the auction site for a couple bucks. Made a template with a piece of paper of the mirror shape to cover the cracks on the top and inside edges over the cracks. Installed the clear pieces on both mirrors. The car has been quiet as a church mouse for several years now. The clear piece looks like it belongs there and you can hardly notice it.

I know I shouldn't have to do this, especially on a LS, but I didn't want the Lexus boys taking apart the door anymore and risking any squeaks or rattles. They did the glass noise thing and I haven't had any issues.

Works for me.
Old 02-09-11, 06:17 PM
Grisik
Rookie

For a grand total of $4.56 I purchased a tube of silicon and a piece of roofing flashing. Following the instructions to see if this works.
Old 02-09-11, 09:01 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Got a call from my service advisor and they said they are just going to order me a new drivers side mirror. I knew it was the mirror because when I folded them in while driving the whistle went away.
Old 02-17-11, 09:28 AM
Toto8
Rookie

Great info..thanx for sharing. Tharper1; what is the glass noise thing you had and what was the fix? Also, will they make these noise fixes on a CPO 07 L I just bought last month? Or will they dodge me by saying it's only covered under the new car warranty? This question applies for the B-Pillar, outside mirror jiggle and seat cushion aswell. Thanx for any info!
Old 02-17-11, 12:22 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

the new mirror has been whistle free for a week now. I think we nailed it with the replacement
Old 02-17-11, 12:32 PM
LXTASY
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tharper1, I'm trying to figure out what your referring to when you say "Mirror assembly crack", as I still have wind noise after the jmcraney fix and am looking for other ideas. Do you or someone else have a pic which would point to "the crack" (this may open up other discussions, but I couldn't resist).
Old 02-17-11, 08:14 PM
Tharper1
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Toto8
Great info..thanx for sharing. Tharper1; what is the glass noise thing you had and what was the fix? Also, will they make these noise fixes on a CPO 07 L I just bought last month? Or will they dodge me by saying it's only covered under the new car warranty? This question applies for the B-Pillar, outside mirror jiggle and seat cushion aswell. Thanx for any info!
The wind noise was the thicker front window glass was installed and what ever else the TSB said for them to do. It sounded like the driver's window was sucking air. You'll have to ask the Lexus boys about fixing the stuff but I don't see why they wouldn't.

Originally Posted by LXTASY
Tharper1, I'm trying to figure out what your referring to when you say "Mirror assembly crack", as I still have wind noise after the jmcraney fix and am looking for other ideas. Do you or someone else have a pic which would point to "the crack" (this may open up other discussions, but I couldn't resist).
The assembly line on the mirror where the two halves are put together is what I call the crack/line. The wind caught it just right and whistled. That's why the tape or folding the mirrors stopped the whistle.
Old 02-17-11, 08:44 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I sent my service advisor a video of the whistling and how it stops when the mirror is folded in. They replaced the mirror with no issues
Old 02-17-11, 09:28 PM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

LXTASY, See below:
Attached Files
Old 02-24-11, 06:56 PM
Artsplace
Driver School Candidate

I had the same noise in my 2007 460L and they couldn't fix it. I threatened to go to arbitration and they just swapped it out for a 2010 with a bit more cash. I wish I would have know about folding the mirror in and getting a replacement. Would have saved me 30K - LOL

Quick Reply: Wind noise is back with a vengeance after the TSIB was done