LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

noise while braking

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-11, 05:12 PM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default noise while braking

Hi all,

Sorry for repost but I need your inputs of what to do please...

Background:

I have an 2008 Lexus LS460 with only 19,000 miles. I don't even drive the car hard. Anyhow, there is a noise from the rear suspension (left side or driver side) when I brake the car to a full stop (at moderate braking force). The noise is NOT noise from the brake system itself but rather from the suspension component (strut, shock, etc). It's a CLUNK-CLUNK-CLUNK sounds as two pieces of metal tapping against each other as the car stops. This noise comes from the rear driver's side. I stood outside the car while someone braked and it is not heard from the passenger side. Noise happens either from forward to stop braking or reverse to stop braking.

I took the car into the dealer and a service advisor test drove the car and heard the noise. They kept the car for a week for the technician to look/fix. Today, they told me that the car was ready. However, they didn't fix the noise...They said the "normal" noise is normal for this model of car.

Is this noise normal???
What should I do now?
I am picking up the car tomorrow so need answer fast please!!!
Old 02-01-11, 06:14 PM
marky2mark
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by randomwalk
Hi all,

Sorry for repost but I need your inputs of what to do please...

Background:

I have an 2008 Lexus LS460 with only 19,000 miles. I don't even drive the car hard. Anyhow, there is a noise from the rear suspension (left side or driver side) when I brake the car to a full stop (at moderate braking force). The noise is NOT noise from the brake system itself but rather from the suspension component (strut, shock, etc). It's a CLUNK-CLUNK-CLUNK sounds as two pieces of metal tapping against each other as the car stops. This noise comes from the rear driver's side. I stood outside the car while someone braked and it is not heard from the passenger side. Noise happens either from forward to stop braking or reverse to stop braking.

I took the car into the dealer and a service advisor test drove the car and heard the noise. They kept the car for a week for the technician to look/fix. Today, they told me that the car was ready. However, they didn't fix the noise...They said the "normal" noise is normal for this model of car.

Is this noise normal???
What should I do now?
I am picking up the car tomorrow so need answer fast please!!!
Certainly doesn't sound normal to me.

I have an '08 460 with around 26k miles, I have never heard this noise.

You should have him take you out in a brand new 460 and see if you hear the same noise. If not, then it's not normal.
Old 02-01-11, 07:28 PM
stanatl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2010 LS Sport with about 16,000 miles on it and have never heard the type of noise you are describing. Before deciding on my car, I test drove a 2010 standard swb LS and a 2010 LS -L and none of them had that noise when braking. My cousin has an '09 swb LS that I've driven and it doesn't have that noise.

For them to say that a clunking noise when braking like you describe is "normal" for a car like yours is ludicrous!
Old 02-01-11, 07:58 PM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Appreciated guys. Any confirmation is a plus. Please give me your feedbacks. I'll show it to the dealer.
Btw, what can I do if the dealer refuses to fix?
Old 02-01-11, 10:25 PM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't think this is normal. Mine is '08 with 45K miles on it and I haven't experienced what you described. Not even a bit.

One way to debug it is to rotate the rear tires & rotors and see if the noise starts to come out from the right side.

Have you noticed anything abnormal when placing/releasing the park brake? Delay? Non-responsiveness? Does it happen when you drive in a slow speed without engaging the brake?
Old 02-02-11, 12:07 AM
blackz405
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the brake pads. If they are glazed, BA+ABS can cause the clunk.
Old 02-02-11, 12:27 AM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JFNash
I don't think this is normal. Mine is '08 with 45K miles on it and I haven't experienced what you described. Not even a bit.

One way to debug it is to rotate the rear tires & rotors and see if the noise starts to come out from the right side.

Have you noticed anything abnormal when placing/releasing the park brake? Delay? Non-responsiveness? Does it happen when you drive in a slow speed without engaging the brake?
No abnormal with parking brake. Drive slow speed over bumps doesn't make any sound.
Old 02-02-11, 12:29 AM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by blackz405
Check the brake pads. If they are glazed, BA+ABS can cause the clunk.
Car only has 19k miles. Noise only come from one side (rear driver side).
Old 02-02-11, 06:17 AM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Okay so I went to the dealer today and they insisted that the noise is "normal" even when I talked to the manager. The manager doesn't know anything and he just go strictly by what the service order paper said. On that paper, it said noise is caused by "spring rebound" and is of "normal operation".
The only thing left to do is call Lexus care and have someone to come out and schedule for a test drive.

Relentless Persuit of Perfection my butt.
Old 02-02-11, 07:07 AM
vancouverl
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

could you not just visit another dealer and have them look at it .i have done that before on other issues and the second dealer resolved where previous dealer was reluctant to.
Old 02-02-11, 09:00 AM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

another Lexus dealer is very far away for me. The one I brought it to is the biggest one in the area.

I am hoping that Lexus will send someone out (an engineer) to evaluate this noise. Anyone knows any contact in Lexus I can write to (someone high up the ladder may be can flex some muscle to help me out?) Thanks.