LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 stock stereo upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-11, 10:01 AM
marky2mark
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LS460 stock stereo upgrade

I have a 2008 LS460 with the stock stereo (non-ML) and I am looking to upgrade the system. I am pretty much clueless when it comes to car stereo and where to even begin. Would it be sufficient to just upgrade the speakers or does the amp need to be upgraded as well?

Anyone who has experience with this or any suggestions would be appreciated. I was hoping to stay between $1k to 2k if possible. Thanks.
Old 01-28-11, 10:45 AM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I can tell you how I did it for 3K, if you search for premium audio upgrade you can see the details, you could drop about a grand by going with less expensive components but still get an excellent outcome

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...e-premium.html

http://gallery.me.com/cmasten?view=g...lack&view=grid

Last edited by cmasten; 01-28-11 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-28-11, 11:48 AM
marky2mark
Driver

Originally Posted by cmasten
I can tell you how I did it for 3K, if you search for premium audio upgrade you can see the details, you could drop about a grand by going with less expensive opponents but still get an excellent outcome

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...e-premium.html

http://gallery.me.com/cmasten?view=g...lack&view=grid
Wow....nice!!

One difference....you started with ML system right? Mine is stock non-ML. As far as I can tell there are 8 speakers (3 in front dash, one in each door, one in back window). The sound is very front-heavy, you can barely hear the rear at all unless you almost completely fade out the front speakers. I don't know if that's because of the quality of the rear speakers or the placement or the amp or what?

There's an Al & Ed's not too far from me in Northridge, I might have to check them out.
Old 01-28-11, 01:51 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by marky2mark
Wow....nice!!

One difference....you started with ML system right? Mine is stock non-ML. As far as I can tell there are 8 speakers (3 in front dash, one in each door, one in back window). The sound is very front-heavy, you can barely hear the rear at all unless you almost completely fade out the front speakers. I don't know if that's because of the quality of the rear speakers or the placement or the amp or what?

There's an Al & Ed's not too far from me in Northridge, I might have to check them out.
This was the premium system not ML. the installers were actually people from Al and Eds in La Verne, they are now in the riverside shop.

The rear only has 4" mids you will only get fill from those unless you want to install separates, i upgraded them to Focal coax just to get more mid and high, but the mid bass will be up front, the center you want to discard and the sub would be in the trunk
Old 02-12-11, 12:15 PM
marky2mark
Driver

This was the premium system not ML. the installers were actually people from Al and Eds in La Verne, they are now in the riverside shop.

The rear only has 4" mids you will only get fill from those unless you want to install separates, i upgraded them to Focal coax just to get more mid and high, but the mid bass will be up front, the center you want to discard and the sub would be in the trunk
Just dropped my car off at Al & Eds in Northridge. The guy there seemed to really know his stuff. I went with the Focals front & rear, JL amp XD600 and Audiocontrol OEM integration with JL audio sub, mounted in the rear deck where the current sub is. Total with tax and labor was right around 2k. Everything will look stock, the amp & integration unit will all be hidden.

He wasn't sure if the JL sub would fit in the same space where the current sub is, if not he will substitute a Rockford Fosgate sub, he said he's pretty sure it will fit. Won't know for sure until he takes it apart.

This guy said he is very familiar with the ML system, he said this system would easily blow away the ML. Plus he said he gets a LOT of customers with blown ML amps and ends up replacing them.
Old 02-12-11, 01:18 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Good selection of gear, I think you will be pleased with the sound, this vehicle is just so quiet that with good source material and clean amps and drivers you will be amazed at how good it can sound. You will want to play with the digital delays too if you have that option, its nice to shift the center just a bit to the left so your imaging is more in line with where your sitting in the drivers seat. I used the Rockford 3sixty, but the Audio Control is a nice processor.
Old 02-12-11, 09:00 PM
marky2mark
Driver

Good selection of gear, I think you will be pleased with the sound, this vehicle is just so quiet that with good source material and clean amps and drivers you will be amazed at how good it can sound. You will want to play with the digital delays too if you have that option, its nice to shift the center just a bit to the left so your imaging is more in line with where your sitting in the drivers seat. I used the Rockford 3sixty, but the Audio Control is a nice processor.
Holy cow!! The sound is unbelievable. The difference between this and the stock system is night and day.

He ended up upgrading the amp to XD700 for the same price, he said it would send more power to the subwoofer.

I'll have to go back and have them tune it a little, they made the sound a little too bright for my taste. Unfortunately the AudioControl doesn't have a laptop interface like the 3sixty, the controls are on the unit which is hidden behind the quarter panel. But he said to bring it back after I listen a little and they will tune it to my tastes. But the AudioControl does have a dial that adjusts the subwoofer, which they mounted inside my center console.

Happy to say I no longer regret not getting the Mark Levinson......
Old 02-12-11, 10:04 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Congrats! You will learn to appreciate music you had forgotten about all over again
Old 02-13-11, 11:21 AM
marky2mark
Driver

Question Chris: I am hearing a very faint hissing sound from the subwoofer, even when the audio system is turned off. It's mostly noticeable when the car is in accessory mode, with the engine started it is barely noticeable. Is this normal? You might not hear it since yours is mounted in the trunk, mine is in the back deck behind the back seat where the old one was.

When I take it back this week for tuning I'll have them check it out, just wondering if this was normal or not.
Old 02-13-11, 01:33 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Sounds like they need to adjust your gains on the JL amp, that should be an easy fix.

Also you will want to take some music that you really know and appreciate, make it a variety of styles and have them tune your set up for what you want to hear. The head unit has a DSP section and an EQ setting, you will want to also make sure that the DSP is flat, the active volume setting is off and that your head unit (Nav interface) is all set to default then have them tune it. You can then just use your stock system to add a touch of mid, high or bottom end to adjust the balance if you find it needs a nudge. The DSP sound field should be set to "all" which has all 4 seats active so its not trying to play any sound field tricks.

Have them adjust it for low volume levels and then see how it sounds when you turn it up a bit. One thing you will notice is that the balance of everything is more apparent and at low levels the clarity will just jump out, but make sure its sounds the way you will want it, as this is all very subjective.