LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

New LS460 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-11, 11:51 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts
Default New LS460 Owner

I just purchased a 2009 Starfire Pearl/Cashmere LS460 AWD. I was hesitant about buying this car because it really didn't excite me when I test drove it and while I some of my friends say I've aged 20 years because of this car, after a couple days of driving, I am really starting to like it. I love the rear seat room (coming from an IS250), which is one of the main reasons for buying it since I have two little ones in car seats and there should be no more kicking the back of my seat from my son.

The only issue I have with this car is that the prior owner of the car was a smoker and the car smells a little inside. It would have been a deal breaker for me but there wasn't any in this color combo with the options and low mileage I wanted within 250-300 miles of me and the owner of the car was the owner of the dealership so I know the history of the car. Also, other than the smell and three small burn marks under the seat, the car's exterior and leather seats are near perfect. The burn marks are an easy fix that I will pay for but if the smell is something I can take care of myself I will. Do any of you have any fixes for getting the smoke smell out of my car?

My car also has the premium floor mats which to me don't fit this car well. It looks like someone cut out some house carpet and made them into floor mats. Does anyone know where I can get the OEM all weather mats? I can't find any online from the usual places I purchase Lexus accessories.

Lastly, I noticed that this car and others I looked at didn't have the dynamic cruise control. I really wanted this but it seems pretty rare. Just curious if this is something anyone here has and uses regularly.

Last edited by patgilm; 01-25-11 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-25-11, 12:53 PM
elite7
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off congrats on purchasing your Lexus LS460! I would recommend a product called Sofast Odor Eater:

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Smoke_An...spi_104_16.htm

It should go away in 1 application. However if it doesnt just spray the interior down another time and the odor should be gone.They also make it in a gallon size which is quite a bit more expensive but for just doing your LS460 the 16 oz bottle will be plenty. You can use coupon code gold to get 5% off.

Also you can get it on Amazon for less than $15 shipped ($8.29 + $6.19 shipping) which i believe is cheaper than on the chemical guys site:

http://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys-.../dp/B001TJ3L2U

Last edited by elite7; 01-25-11 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-25-11, 01:10 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Great thanks. I'll give it a shot.
Old 01-25-11, 01:18 PM
nfxnet
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by patgilm
My car also has the premium floor mats which to me don't fit this car well. It looks like someone cut out some house carpet and made them into floor mats. Does anyone know where I can get the OEM all weather mats? I can't find any online from the usual places I purchase Lexus accessories.
Lexus did sell the all weather mats for a short period of time, but recently stopped again. I use Weathertech for mats and trunk tray.

http://www.weathertech.com/store/mvp...1277&Year=2009
Old 01-25-11, 02:11 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Lastly, I noticed that this car and others I looked at didn't have the dynamic cruise control. I really wanted this but it seems pretty rare. Just curious if this is something anyone here has and uses regularly.

Firstly, congrats on the new ride and welcome to the club!

I had to special order my car in order to get the radar cruise control. Lexus didn't send any program cars to any dealers in snowbelt states because snow and ice can block the sensor. I know, who would use cruise control in a snowstorm, but keep in mind these are the same people who won't let the nav system be used while the car is in motion.

I use mine all the time. I would never buy another car without it. It's more than just radar cruise control, it is (as the option is listed) a Pre-Collision System.
Old 01-25-11, 02:39 PM
RGSW
Intermediate

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Some of the residual nicotine may reside in the heater/air conditioner area. Perhaps spraying a little of the recommended product into the heater/air conditioner air return would eleminate any odor coming from inside the heater/air conditioner, just a thot..............
Old 01-25-11, 03:11 PM
vancouverl
Driver

hi there ,hope you like your ls
i have a 2007 with radar cruise, In Canada it came with the technology pkg ,i used it this weekend for the first time and boy was i amazed .It works very well and really takes the toll out of driving on long trips .Its a first for me and i will always look for that option in the future like previous poster mentioned its pre collision system as well.I'm still playing with it and would love some tips from those that have had it for a while .i know for sure you cant use it for city driving .would be nice for stop and go traffic
Old 01-25-11, 05:38 PM
davedan
Driver School Candidate

car mats-macneil automotive/weathertech=#442361/442072-$159.90 0n10/20/09
Old 01-25-11, 05:59 PM
Nospinzone

Originally Posted by vancouverl
hi there ,hope you like your ls
i have a 2007 with radar cruise, In Canada it came with the technology pkg ,i used it this weekend for the first time and boy was i amazed .It works very well and really takes the toll out of driving on long trips .Its a first for me and i will always look for that option in the future like previous poster mentioned its pre collision system as well.I'm still playing with it and would love some tips from those that have had it for a while .i know for sure you cant use it for city driving .would be nice for stop and go traffic
I do a lot of driving on New England country roads. You can go many miles without ever hitting a traffic light or even a stop sign. The radar cruise control works perfectly for these roads. You just set it and forget it. As other cars come and go from in front of you, the car just adjusts its speed and distance accordingly as long as you don't go below 25 mph.

Actually, those of us with the Pre-Collision System should have our nav lock out disabled by the factory. If you are using the nav and someone abruptly cuts in front of you, the car automatically brakes, tightens the seatbelts and triggers audible and visual alarms. Its even better than having your wife sitting next to you!
Old 01-25-11, 06:04 PM
2004TOYO
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, those of us with the Pre-Collision System should have our nav lock out disabled by the factory. If you are using the nav and someone abruptly cuts in front of you, the car automatically brakes, tightens the seatbelts and triggers audible and visual alarms. Its even better than having your wife sitting next to you! [/QUOTE]

Super funny!!!
Old 01-25-11, 06:16 PM
vancouverl
Driver

nice to know the cut off speed is 25mph ,i know that when my wippers go to fast whipe it disables it as well ,very smart system .
Old 01-25-11, 10:37 PM
OBRon
Rookie

I have a new 2011 460L that I special ordered with the pre-collision system and dynamic radar cruise control. Absolutely love it! It's a great feature that's worth waiting for. The radar unit is behind the grille. There are 3 following distances set with a button on the steering wheel and a display in the instrument cluster that shows a graphic depiction of the relative follow distance. Very easy to use. The radar function can be turned off for regular CC.
Old 01-26-11, 06:39 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Thanks for the suggestions on the smoke odor and mats.

As for the pre-collision system/dynamic radar cruise control, after reading your posts I now wish I had it. It's too bad so many of these cars didn't come with it. In fact of the 2009's within 300 miles of me I only saw one that had it. I was also at the dealer this past weekend and they had some LS460's that just came off the truck and were getting ready to be prepped for sale and I sat in each one and none had this option. I guess I'll have to live with my lowly Nav/ML optioned clunker.
Old 01-26-11, 02:20 PM
mndaves
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I hate to see a fellow CL member in pain... To help, I'll take your clunker off your hands and trade you my 2005 UL with PCS. I'll even drive to MD to make the exchange. Just let me know when you'll be home. I can be there in about 20 hours.
Old 01-26-11, 02:54 PM
Nospinzone

Originally Posted by mndaves
I hate to see a fellow CL member in pain... To help, I'll take your clunker off your hands and trade you my 2005 UL with PCS. I'll even drive to MD to make the exchange. Just let me know when you'll be home. I can be there in about 20 hours.
See! Members helping members, as comedian Yakov Smirnoff used to say "whatta country"!

Quick Reply: New LS460 Owner