LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Change Oil Soon Message

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-11, 12:47 PM
Clean1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Change Oil Soon Message

I had my 25,000 service done while my '08 LS460 was in for the VSR. Now about 1000 miles later, I am getting the "Change Oil Soon" message on start up. I assume the dealer did not reset the system after the oil change.

Can I reset the oil change warning now or do I have to wait until the yellow warning light comes on steady?
Old 01-23-11, 12:56 PM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

You don't have to wait, you can reset it anytime you want...
Old 09-02-11, 07:59 PM
Fiordaliso
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how do u reset it???
Old 09-02-11, 08:13 PM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

make sure the odometer is on "Trip A"
hold the "Reset Button"
keep feet off brake
push "Start"
keep holding "Reset Button" till dashboard says that it has been reset
The following users liked this post:
Jobbyson (05-07-22)
Old 09-03-11, 05:25 AM
JG132
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lexus claims they use synthetic oil with their service, if so do you need to change the oil every 5000 miles? Ive been told that synthetic will last twice long as regular oil.
Old 09-03-11, 06:52 AM
bobpen
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clean1
I had my 25,000 service done while my '08 LS460 was in for the VSR. Now about 1000 miles later, I am getting the "Change Oil Soon" message on start up. I assume the dealer did not reset the system after the oil change.

Can I reset the oil change warning now or do I have to wait until the yellow warning light comes on steady?
My dealer did NOT change the oil and filter!
Old 09-22-11, 08:40 AM
madlad
Driver

Had the same problem after 2,000 miles while in FL. Took it to dealer. Service person just punched some buttons on the screen to reset and I was good to go. Tried the reset procedure from owners manual and it didn't work after a few miles. When oil last changed, dealer didn't perform the factory reset
Old 09-22-11, 05:09 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by JG132
Lexus claims they use synthetic oil with their service, if so do you need to change the oil every 5000 miles?.
You do if you want to keep your engine under warranty. Once you are out of warranty, definitely go to at least every 10,000 miles.

Originally Posted by JG132
Ive been told that synthetic will last twice long as regular oil.
Not true, dino will last just as long as synthetic.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzep121w/r...stop/id44.html
Old 09-29-11, 11:03 AM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Not true, dino will last just as long as synthetic.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzep121w/r...stop/id44.html
Wrong. Dino will break down much before synthetic will. AMSOIL Signature Series will last up to 25,000 miles. Dino will not.
Old 01-28-12, 05:37 PM
chief472
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clean1

The following is verbatim from my 2008 LS460 owners manual for resetting the YELLOW oil light:

After changing the engine oil... The "oil change system" should be reset. Perform the following procedures:

Step 1. Switch the display to the trip meter "A" when the engine is running.
Step 2. Turn the "ENGINE START STOP" switch OFF.
Step 3. While pressing the trip meter RESET button, set the "ENGINE START STOP" switch to the INGINTION ON mode (but do not start the engine because otherwise the reset mode will be cancelled). Continue to press and hold the reset button until the multi-information display indicates that the "oil change system" reset is complete.
Old 01-28-12, 06:38 PM
Dema
Pole Position

So what is normal oil change interval for LS? Mercedes and BMW recommend 10,000 interval or annually . So I was surprised that Lexus needs it sooner. Can you change oil in regular oil changing shops, or you need do it at dealer only (sure I know DIY can be applied as well). I did change for Mercedes at dealer, because oil changers didn't have right filter.
Old 01-28-12, 07:18 PM
NewLexus11
Driver School Candidate

We generally recommend 5k mile oil changes but with synthetic or even synthetic blend the capacity of the LS you should be ok going the 10k mile change mark.
Old 01-30-12, 09:34 AM
Craig B

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by NewLexus11
We generally recommend 5k mile oil changes but with synthetic or even synthetic blend the capacity of the LS you should be ok going the 10k mile change mark.
I change mine with synthetic once a year, or every 5,000 miles. I don't put a lot of miles on my LS 460...
Old 01-30-12, 10:02 AM
Mikey100
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dema
So what is normal oil change interval for LS? Mercedes and BMW recommend 10,000 interval or annually . So I was surprised that Lexus needs it sooner. Can you change oil in regular oil changing shops, or you need do it at dealer only (sure I know DIY can be applied as well). I did change for Mercedes at dealer, because oil changers didn't have right filter.
The real question here is this: Does your vehicle at this time have Lexus Warranty with it ? If so, to insure your Lexus warranty, you must show you have changed the oil every 5000 miles. Whether the type of oil you choose to use will last longer (than 5000 miles) or not is immaterial - at least to the WARRANTY issue.

Yes, IF a Lexus Factory Warranty is NOT an issue, than many of us see not reason whatsoever why you cannot change the oil in intervals longer than 5000 miles. Keep in mind, this wonderful engine they engineered uses 9.5 quarts of oil. That's almost unheard of. Of course, where you live - temperature-wise, your own driving habits, etc, will have an effect of useful oil life. Many people live in a frgid area, and then simply crank up a car, and drive down to the grocery store a few miles away. Wow. And their oil never warms up and burns off condensation, etc.

OIL CHANGE INTERVALS: So we do not have a lot of confusion, let us clarify this situation for LEXUS 2010 to 2012 owners:
Starting with the 2010 Model Year, Lexus began a gradual transition to the use of synthetic 0w-20 viscosity engine oil. There are multiple benefits of this oil, including:
 Reduced friction and wear on engine surfaces
 Improved fuel economy
 Reduction in waste oil stream (in vehicles approved for 10,000 mile oil change intervals)
 Reduced maintenance cost (in vehicles approved for 10,000 mile oil change intervals)
Due to the improved performance and durability of 0w-20 synthetic oil, Lexus has extended the oil change intervals to 10,000 miles for vehicles that require this oil. With this change, the following should be noted:
 Only Lexus vehicles in which 0w-20 oil is mandatory have been approved for extended oil change intervals.
 Vehicles in which 0w-20 is an option to 5w-20 (or 5w-30) will continue to require 5,000 mile change intervals, even if 0w-20 oil is used.

HOWEVER: The 2010-2012 LS460 STILL REQUIRES 5000 mile oil change intervals !

Lastly, who can/must do these oil changes ? Any automotive shop where you have a good receipt will suffice for warranty purposes. It does NOT have to be performed by a dealer.

I sincerely hope this helps many of y'all. Best Wishes for a Superb Pre-Super Bowl Week !

Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA
Old 01-30-12, 02:32 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey100
[COLOR="Indigo"][B]The real question here is this: Does your vehicle at this time have Lexus Warranty with it ? If so, to insure your Lexus warranty, you must show you have changed the oil every 5000 miles. Whether the type of oil you choose to use will last longer (than 5000 miles) or not is immaterial - at least to the WARRANTY issue.

]
Mikey, that is not correct. I wrote to Lexus about this issue and here is their response -

Dear Mr. Axxxxxxxxi:

Thank you for contacting Lexus Customer Satisfaction. We are dedicated to providing superior service. In circumstances that require our attention, we will assist in the resolution process.

In response to your inquiry, when the oil used in the vehicle is fully synthetic, the recommended interval for oil changes does increase to 1 year or 10,000 miles. However, we still recommend having the regularly scheduled 5,000 mile or 6 month maintenance service because the technicians will be able to rotate the tires and inspect the vehicle to ensure the vehicle is operating properly. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

If you require further assistance, please respond to this e-mail, or contact Lexus Customer Satisfaction at 1-800-255-3987, Monday through Friday, 5:00 am to 6:00 pm, or Saturday, 7:00 am to 4:00 pm, Pacific Time.

Sincerely,

Robert Caldwell

Lexus Customer Satisfaction

Quick Reply: Change Oil Soon Message