LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

VAISTech's VML on LS460. Compatible?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-11, 10:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by adamls2
So was there any updates that fixed the back up camera for the ml+? I'm probably going to purchase this soon but I'm scared of the install :/ most likely I'm going to mount it under the carpet ( if that's the easiest way)
nop, they are still working on it
Old 09-08-11, 11:24 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

more update

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...ml#post6667173

ML+ now working for LS460 with ML. vaistech just setup GB as well
Old 09-08-11, 03:00 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
more update

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...ml#post6667173

ML+ now working for LS460 with ML. vaistech just setup GB as well

yeah got confirmation last nite... i just ordered mine.. but from what they told me there may still be an issue for 2010+
Old 09-08-11, 04:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Shibumi1
yeah got confirmation last nite... i just ordered mine.. but from what they told me there may still be an issue for 2010+
yeah i think right now they have it for 07-09
Old 09-09-11, 09:36 AM
kitchamp
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah i think right now they have it for 07-09
Indeed guys. I have been working with Eugene, Ben, and the guys at Vais over the last several months and it is now working on my 07 with the ML and self-park. It's a great setup and lives up to expectations. Definitely get in that that group buy.
Old 09-09-11, 10:43 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by kitchamp
Indeed guys. I have been working with Eugene, Ben, and the guys at Vais over the last several months and it is now working on my 07 with the ML and self-park. It's a great setup and lives up to expectations. Definitely get in that that group buy.
ah so you are the test guy! awesome!!!
Old 09-09-11, 02:47 PM
kitchamp
Rookie

ah so you are the test guy! awesome!!!
Yessir! It was a long road, but with all the features working it was definitely worth it.
Old 09-09-11, 06:49 PM
KYLS
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

... working on my 07 with the ML and self-park. It's a great setup and lives up to expectations. Definitely get in that that group buy.
Bought mine this afternoon. Emailed with Eugene and spoke with Ben on the phone; seemed like nice folks and with a group buy and full compatibility, what more could I ask for. Should have it in hand by Wednesday. Yeah!

How did you mount yours? In or behind glovebox, or else where? ... and did you add the hard drive?
Old 09-09-11, 07:21 PM
kitchamp
Rookie

Originally Posted by KYLS
Bought mine this afternoon. Emailed with Eugene and spoke with Ben on the phone; seemed like nice folks and with a group buy and full compatibility, what more could I ask for. Should have it in hand by Wednesday. Yeah!

How did you mount yours? In or behind glovebox, or else where? ... and did you add the hard drive?
I have mine mounted in the passenger footwell, which made it easy to get to the unit. All I have to do is pop off the trim piece on the side of the center console and it's right there. I hear that behind the glovebox is a good place too.

I didn't add the hard drive, since the main reason for this unit is to get the nice graphics on screen which only work with iOS devices.
Old 09-09-11, 08:02 PM
KYLS
Pit Crew

I have mine mounted in the passenger footwell, which made it easy to get to the unit. All I have to do is pop off the trim piece on the side of the center console and it's right there. I hear that behind the glovebox is a good place too.
Any chance you could posting a picture? I'd like to retain access to the DIPs and hard drive, if there is a way to tuck it out of view without the level of disassembly required to go behind the glovebox.

I didn't add the hard drive, since the main reason for this unit is to get the nice graphics on screen which only work with iOS devices.
Will the ML+ play a WAV file encoded AC3/DTS 5.1 from an iOS device? I was hoping the hard drive might allow this. My DVD changer is full of DVD-Audio discs and I was hoping to expand my access to this type of music in addition to a top of the line interface for the iPod Touch.

Last edited by KYLS; 09-10-11 at 04:49 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-09-11, 09:28 PM
kitchamp
Rookie

Originally Posted by KYLS
Any chance you could posting a picture? I'd like to retain access to the DIPs and hard drive, if there is a way to tuck it out of view without the level of disassembly required to go behind the glovebox.

Will the ML+ play a WAV files encoded AC3/DTS 5.1 through an iOS device? I was hoping the hard drive might allow this. I've got my DVD changer full of DVD-Audio discs and was hoping to expand my access to this type of music in addition to a top of the line interface for the iPod Touch.
That's the exact reason I kept the unit in the footwell. I occasionally needed access to the switches during the testing, so the footwell was the best place for me, and the bulge is not noticeable to anyone who doesn't know its behind the carpet. I will take pics and post when I get home on Sunday.

Regarding the WAV files, I have not tried anything like this since I keep all my DVD-A discs in the changer. One of the other guys here or at Vais might have this answer for you.
Old 09-10-11, 10:06 AM
KYLS
Pit Crew

... I will take pics and post when I get home on Sunday.
Most excellent; will definitely help to see a visual of the "behind the carpet" placement.

Regarding the WAV files, I have not tried anything like this since I keep all my DVD-A discs in the changer. One of the other guys here or at Vais might have this answer for you.
With over 40GB of DTS WAV files, it would be cool to have access to them in the car too. Hopefully someone has the answer, and if not I will just need to experiment.

On the LS460 ML system there appears to be two cables between the ML+ and the head unit; one to a 12-Pin "B" connector (audio) and another to the digital video. So the power must be pulled from the head unit through one of those, right? The only other connection I see is the component AV/USB cable for which I find Apple has two: old (MB128LL/B) and a new (MC917ZM/A) style. Should I favor one over the other? The only obvious difference is that the new one lacks a USB Power Adapter which would be unneeded in this application.
Old 09-10-11, 03:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i would definitely get the new one. i have only worked with the new one and it's perfect. i know the cable is very important.

and yes, the ml+ gets the power from the 12pin i believe. the blue plug is just for digital video
Old 09-10-11, 04:30 PM
kitchamp
Rookie

Yep, the power comes from the 12-pin which interfaces with the audio unit, the other is for the video/touchscreen controls that interfaces with the Nav unit. Like rominl says, the cable is very important, I tried 2 "aftermarket" cables that did not work, only the Apple branded cable worked for me. I think that the Apple cable has some authentication chip that the iPod looks for. I have the newer MC917ZM/A cable on mine.
Old 09-10-11, 05:30 PM
KYLS
Pit Crew

...only the Apple branded cable worked for me. I think that the Apple cable has some authentication chip that the iPod looks for. I have the newer MC917ZM/A cable on mine.
Thanks for the advice; I'm just back from the Apple Store with a MC917ZM/A cable. I pre-tested it using the component connections on my monitor and it is displaying YouTube and iTune videos just fine, (but not Netflix ). Several comments on Apple's website spoke of defects even with their cables, thus the pre-test. So looks like I can check that off my list.

Note: Netflix states, "Video out is supported on the iPad, iPhone 4, and iPod Touch 4G" and mine is a iPod Touch 3G, so that explains that.

Last edited by KYLS; 09-10-11 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Netflix issue solved.

Quick Reply: VAISTech's VML on LS460. Compatible?