LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

VAISTech's VML on LS460. Compatible?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-11, 07:18 AM
MeTrO
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MBR, thanks for the reply.

Kitchamp, are you able to enjoy all the advertised features of the ml+, including video? Is the only thing wrong the lack of the back-up camera?

Thanks!

Chad
Old 01-23-11, 06:34 PM
kitchamp
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MeTrO
MBR, thanks for the reply.

Kitchamp, are you able to enjoy all the advertised features of the ml+, including video? Is the only thing wrong the lack of the back-up camera?

Thanks!

Chad
Everything that I have tried is now working correctly. After the latest firmware, screen flicker is gone, steering wheel buttons work as they should. I have not installed a hard drive in the unit, so I cannot speak to that function. Also, the unit does have additional inputs (an a/v composite and another input for a backup camera) which I have not tried. But the ipod video functions and ipod video out function work as advertised. Video playback is available in-motion either using the ML+ built in override (you have to enter some numbers on screen), and it works fine with the PS override unit I have installed. USB drives work great as well under the legacy CD-MP3 emulation mode. The only issue I have left is the backup camera--sometimes it shows a blank screen, sometimes is a black screen with white lines. I have to switch modes to FM then back to clear that screen, otherwise it stays on after reverse.
Old 01-24-11, 12:37 PM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

MBR: Thanks for the reply & pics. That was very informative. If you have more pictures of how you drilled inside the armrest and mounted the USB cable end, please share them with us.

I tried the analog audio transmission quality. Unacceptable compared to digital (aux). So VML is the way to go, and MBR's install is the one to do. I'm also getting PS's nav jailbreak.

Does anyone know if removing the shark fin antenna is ok (no holes, no loose wires, no problems)?
Old 01-24-11, 01:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

the shark fin antenna does have holes underneath. that's how the antenna feeds into the car right?
Old 06-16-11, 12:16 PM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MBR
I put the Vaistech VML in about a year ago and I'm very pleased with it. There's a large space behind the glovebox where it fits nicely and is also very close to the back of the audio unit where it needs to plug in. For the USB port, what worked best for me was to place it inside the center armrest console box just below the Aux port. Here are some pictures I took while I was doing it:

Hope this is helpful.
I took these pictures to a Lexus tech, and he said this install would involve taking out the passenger's airbag. That got me a bit worried, so I told him to hold on it for now and would come back when I decide how to go about it.

Alternative place?

I hope MBR explain how he got the USB port mounted inside the armrest. The tech said it might be hard to stick there.
Old 06-16-11, 12:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

for that install, you need to remove and lower (no need to disconnect) the knee airbag. for the upper airbag, i don't think you need to touch that airbag at all, this unit goes on the side / underneath that airbag
Old 06-30-11, 11:32 PM
JFNash
Lead Lap

I got the VML unit installed (with the help of the awesome guys at VAISTech).

I didn't go MBR's route. The installer didn't feel confident about doing it without impacting the airbags. Too risky for me. So I just decided to leave it inside the gloves compartment and run the usb cable all the way to panel next to the driver's seat (like what you see in PS unit installs).

The sound quality is astonishing. It's so much better than aux quality. No way I'm going back to that kind of sound quality no matter what.

I tried it using my iPhone, a usb thumb drive and my Dell Venue Pro. It worked with the iPhone and the usb memory stick but not with the Dell phone.

One thing I need to figure out is why the unit isn't recognizing the new files I added to the usb stick after the 1st test of the unit. I guess I need to delete the cache folder the unit created after the 1st insert as I'm pretty certain it's not a configuration issue or something like that. Will see if deleting the cache database does the trick (I think it'll).

Finally, I haven't had that time to really enjoy the new upgrade but I noticed when I was driving over road imperfections or road cat's eyes I heard a vibration noise coming out as if an unstable metal object (key or something) was vibrating really fast. When I slow down or turn off the audio the noise disappears. Can't remember if it was just with the iPhone or the usb stick or both. Will do more testing on that and see where it's coming from. It may be even from something else. Will see.
Old 07-01-11, 12:02 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

you are correct, you need to remove the cache folder and let the system rebuild the whole playlist next time you insert it into the vml
Old 07-02-11, 09:25 PM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Yes deleting the cache folder took care of it.

I noticed that the device plays songs from the iPhone playlists but not from the general music library. Why?

Happy 4th!
Old 07-02-11, 09:29 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

can you elaborate what you mean by general music library?
Old 07-03-11, 10:56 AM
JFNash
Lead Lap

The general music library is what you see when you select Songs on your iPod/iPhone where all the songs are listed.

If the song isn't in a user-created playlist, the device won't show it. When I selected Folder List on the nav screen, it only showed the playlists I had created but not the entire music library.
Old 07-03-11, 04:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

that's correct, they have to be in playlists. right now you are in mode 1 which is everything by playlists. you can switch to display everything by artists or albums, instruction is inside the manual. but of course, you need to make sure in itune all the songs have album or artist information, otherwise they won't show either
Old 07-03-11, 07:17 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So was there any updates that fixed the back up camera for the ml+? I'm probably going to purchase this soon but I'm scared of the install :/ most likely I'm going to mount it under the carpet ( if that's the easiest way)
Old 07-03-11, 09:02 PM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Thanks rominl.

adam: I got the VML to avoid the back-up camera complications. The install is easy if you get the right person to do it for you. I thought about mounting it under the carpet but I do take my car to a detail shop every 6 months and I didn't want the device to get damaged.

I ended up installing it inside the gloves box.
Old 07-03-11, 09:10 PM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you take it out and install it like the pictures above or did you just put it on the upper deck in the glove box? Thanks

Quick Reply: VAISTech's VML on LS460. Compatible?