LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Reasonable Charge?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-11, 12:19 PM
MikeP
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Reasonable Charge?

2 weeks ago I made an appointment for a service tech to check my glove box lid that started dropping without the controlled pneumatic restriction. I waited for a half hour before being checked in for service and another hour before being told that a new glove box assembly would be ordered because there was no fix for just the lid.

I brought my car in this morning at my assigned time and picked up a loaner since the job to replace the glove box would take longer than 2 hours. My service adviser walked me over to a '10 RX and looked over the exterior for any damage. He checked the gas gauge and noted it was on full. I drove off and went directly home. I got a call from the SA in about 2 hours letting me know my car was ready.

I drove directly back to the service department and gave the key to one of the attendants. He checked to loaner over to make sure all was OK and looked at the gas gauge. He gave me a card to give the service desk. I went to the service desk and handed the attendant the card. She explained that the service was complimentary, but I would be charged $7.50 for gas. I thought she had made a mistake since this is my 7th Lexus purchased from this dealer and I have never been charged for gas before. I asked how was the amount determined. She said the gas gauge was on full when I first left with the car and now it was no longer on full. I asked if she had both the odometer readings from when the car was given to me and when I returned it. She didn't, so I asked her to get those figures. When she got the figures, the difference amounted to 20.5 miles. I then asked her to check the avg.mpg on the car's display because it read 20.4 mpg as I was driving into the service area.

She told me I would have to discuss my problem with my service adviser and asked that I go to the waiting room until the SA was available. After waiting 10 minutes, my blood began to really boil. I decided to talk to the Sales Manager, who I got to know pretty well having bought so many cars from him. As I got up from my chair the attendant from the service desk said she had talked to the service manager and he removed the gas charges from my bill.

Obviously, having bought an LS, I could afford $7.50. What angered me was the fact that having only 1200 miles on the car, the glove box was defective from the factory. I used my gas (more than an RX uses) twice to drive to the service department and back and spent a considerable amount of my time arranging and waiting for the glove box to be replaced. I used one gallon of gas, retail here for about $3.00/gal, and they want to charge me more than double for the use of their loaner. What should have happened was an apology for my inconvenience and a free fill-up. I would like your opinions to help me decide if I should pursue this with some manager at the dealership. Thanks.
Old 01-17-11, 12:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

actually a lot of dealerships they do have the rule to charge for gas used nowadays. it's not something new anymore. now whether they enforce it or not that's up to them. they usually put up quite high number for the charge, thus to encourage owners to put in gas before returning the car.

i don't see any big deal with it. all the time before i return my loaner i put gas back in. i see myself responsible for the gas used
Old 01-17-11, 12:42 PM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Dude. I took the car into west side Lexus in Houston today for the brake clunk issue, glove box and rearview mirror issues. Anyways made the app at 8am. Brought it in at 7:50am and there was a line of customer waiting for the service advisor (line up in front of his office...no kidding). I thought it was weird but oh well...joined the queue. 30 mins standing in line and finally got it entered in there computer system. Then to the waiting area waiting for the loaner. A girl came and gave me a key to a loaner and some paper work to sign. It was a freaking Toyota camary. Old, dirty and smell like craps. Anyways, just a loaner right?? So I drove off. About an hour later, Toyota called...apparently the loaner was from a close by Toyota dealership and they called and asked me to return the car. I asked why and they said " it has been sold". I'm was confused but they said they sold that car and will give me a diff Toyota. I was like WTF ??? Nope it wasn't a joke. They sold the freaking car!!! Anyways they're sending another replacement as I refused to take off from work to return the car. This is all f'ed up so far...
Old 01-17-11, 01:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by randomwalk
Dude. I took the car into west side Lexus in Houston today for the brake clunk issue, glove box and rearview mirror issues. Anyways made the app at 8am. Brought it in at 7:50am and there was a line of customer waiting for the service advisor (line up in front of his office...no kidding). I thought it was weird but oh well...joined the queue. 30 mins standing in line and finally got it entered in there computer system. Then to the waiting area waiting for the loaner. A girl came and gave me a key to a loaner and some paper work to sign. It was a freaking Toyota camary. Old, dirty and smell like craps. Anyways, just a loaner right?? So I drove off. About an hour later, Toyota called...apparently the loaner was from a close by Toyota dealership and they called and asked me to return the car. I asked why and they said " it has been sold". I'm was confused but they said they sold that car and will give me a diff Toyota. I was like WTF ??? Nope it wasn't a joke. They sold the freaking car!!! Anyways they're sending another replacement as I refused to take off from work to return the car. This is all f'ed up so far...
hahahhaa now that's just totally messed up!
Old 01-17-11, 03:13 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Hey, random, it could have worse, they could have sold your car!
Old 01-17-11, 03:22 PM
MikeP
Advanced

My disappointment is a result of past practices at this, the only Lexus dealer I have ever dealt with. It is also the first time in 6-7 years I have had to have warranty work done, other than routine maintenance and make use of a loaner, so it was unexpected. Guess the upgraded waiting areas, large screen TV's, complimentary pastry, colas and coffee have to be paid for some way.

I just wonder if the service benefits owners have experienced in the past begin to disappear, erasing one of the major reasons people buy Lexus in the first place, will cause owners to more seriously consider other luxury brands in the future?

I thought that when Lexus was launched, their philosophy was to give customers the luxury treatment from sales to service, not just in the design and engineering of their cars. Charging $7.50 for a gallon of gas in a loaner, used because of a defect in a customer's new car, does not impart luxury to me. Yes, the charge was dismissed, but not without leaving a bad taste in my mouth. I thought better of Lexus and most of all, my dealer. The $7.50 is not a lot, that bad taste is.
Old 01-17-11, 03:28 PM
randomwalk
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Hey, random, it could have worse, they could have sold your car!
They better not sell my car. I don't want them to replace it's with a brand new LS600h at all
Old 01-17-11, 03:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by MikeP
My disappointment is a result of past practices at this, the only Lexus dealer I have ever dealt with. It is also the first time in 6-7 years I have had to have warranty work done, other than routine maintenance and make use of a loaner, so it was unexpected. Guess the upgraded waiting areas, large screen TV's, complimentary pastry, colas and coffee have to be paid for some way.

I just wonder if the service benefits owners have experienced in the past begin to disappear, erasing one of the major reasons people buy Lexus in the first place, will cause owners to more seriously consider other luxury brands in the future?

I thought that when Lexus was launched, their philosophy was to give customers the luxury treatment from sales to service, not just in the design and engineering of their cars. Charging $7.50 for a gallon of gas in a loaner, used because of a defect in a customer's new car, does not impart luxury to me. Yes, the charge was dismissed, but not without leaving a bad taste in my mouth. I thought better of Lexus and most of all, my dealer. The $7.50 is not a lot, that bad taste is.
i would still think it's within my understanding range. i mean, if i were to drive my car, i would still be paying the gas. now i am driving the loaner instead, what makes me not having to pay for the gas? if not, it's just courtesy, but i don't take that for granted

now do understand though, i am not defending lexus. if you read my posts, i have been warning them about quality since way back in 2007/2008.
Old 01-17-11, 04:04 PM
daryll40
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 282 Posts

Annoying a little, but I would not get too worked up over the $7.50 really. Keep the small things small.
Old 01-17-11, 04:15 PM
ghenley
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dealer provides the loaner with 1/4 tank of gas. When I had the VSR done, I left them (inadvertently) with more than 1/4 of gas.

Does anyone know if other dealers who provide loaners also make their customers pay for gas?
Old 01-17-11, 05:09 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by ghenley
My dealer provides the loaner with 1/4 tank of gas. When I had the VSR done, I left them (inadvertently) with more than 1/4 of gas.

Does anyone know if other dealers who provide loaners also make their customers pay for gas?
most dealers around me, they have you sign paperwork regarding charging for gas. they used to don't care, but that was before the insane gas hike 2 yrs back. but since then, the rule has been there
Old 01-17-11, 05:44 PM
MikeP
Advanced

I'm trying to figure out why I am angry about the gas charge also. As I said, it's not the $7.50, although the valet pulled that number out of a hat. I suspect, since I bought my first Lexus in 1993 and never had the restriction of only being entitled to a loaner if my car was in the shop for at least 2 hours, nor did I ever pay for gas, I see these benefits as being eliminated. New Lexus owners who always paid for loaner car gas and 2 hour eligibility, see the free cookies, pastry and designer coffee as great perks. I'd rather pay for the food and drink by choice and be able to use the loaner as a freebie when necessary.

Sure the price of gas is going up, but so are the service rates and the purchase prices of new Lexus. I assume those price increases are to cover operational expenses. My personal opinion is that Lexus went overboard with the fancy facilities and should have used those funds to improve the quality and reliability of their cars. If there was any money left over, pay for the gas of the loaner cars and eliminate the free sodas. More often than not, bigger is not always better.
Old 01-17-11, 06:14 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^
totally understand where ur coming from,,,just pick a SA that knows who u are and just deal with him directly,,,i had similar experiences before cuz i had different SA's each time but now i have my SA set where he just takes my car and i am good to go,,,
Old 01-19-11, 05:12 PM
ghenley
Rookie

I've never liked taking a loaner and always preferred to stay for service (it's less hectic and quiet, so I can actually focus on work). But, the 460 has had many more recalls and other issues than any other Lexus I've owned, so getting the loaner hasn't been an option. Aside from the recalls, the dealer actually refused to let me have my car for one issue and couldn't figure out why the radio didn't work after installing the new amp after the old one blew.

I know it's a small thing, but because there have been so many required visits to the dealer over and above normal service, paying for gas in the loaner is annoying.
Old 01-21-11, 10:06 AM
WhitBaby
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by daryll40
Annoying a little, but I would not get too worked up over the $7.50 really. Keep the small things small.
Yeah, I know what you're saying. Seems pretty bush-league for them to charge for that small amount of gas when you've given them so much $$.

When I had the valve spring recall done we put about 200+ miles on the '10 loaner RX350 for the week they had it, they didn't charge a thing.

Now as for overcharging...my dealer wants $524 + shop supplies + tax for the 30,000 mile service! Yeah they do a few more things than the previous services, but $525+?

Looks like I'll start 'becoming one' with my '08.

Whit

Quick Reply: Reasonable Charge?