LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

How many filters inside the car? When to change these fluids?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-15, 02:50 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Personally I'm in the "change your transmission fluid", boat. I did mine at 70k. I know there is a poster on here from Canada and in his owner's manual it states to have the fluid changed at 60k. It is only a "lifetime" fluid in the U.S. I've read that people in the Middle East change the fluid every 50k miles.

For me personally, when I drained the fluid it came out dark brown/black....which made me think, uh oh. I then decided to go the extra step and drop the pan, change the filter, etc. It's been 30k miles since and I'm thinking of doing a simple drain and refill soon.
Old 06-25-15, 02:55 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,209 Likes on 956 Posts

Originally Posted by hms09
I have an 07 ls460 with heated and cooled seats but for the life of my can't find any filters. Did the 2007 460 have seat filters? Perhaps it started with the 10's?

Thanks

Here's a link to a 4 page thread complete with photos, links to ordering, and how to find the filter by reaching under the seat and feeling for it. I'm not very mechanically inclined and was able to do it. It's under there and you can't see it. Have faith and you will find it
Old 06-25-15, 03:10 PM
hms09
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

EDIT: I see the other post about the 07 now. Guess I'll just have to keep looking under there.
Old 06-25-15, 05:23 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by hms09
I have an 07 ls460 with heated and cooled seats but for the life of my can't find any filters. Did the 2007 460 have seat filters? Perhaps it started with the 10's?

Thanks
Your 460 have filters located under the front seats. They are easy to overlook and in a tight spot. The dealership changed my seat filters when I was having my car serviced. The service manager said all 460 have seat filters. You can contact Lexus.
Old 06-25-15, 06:21 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Personally I'm in the "change your transmission fluid", boat. I did mine at 70k. I know there is a poster on here from Canada and in his owner's manual it states to have the fluid changed at 60k. It is only a "lifetime" fluid in the U.S. I've read that people in the Middle East change the fluid every 50k miles.

For me personally, when I drained the fluid it came out dark brown/black....which made me think, uh oh. I then decided to go the extra step and drop the pan, change the filter, etc. It's been 30k miles since and I'm thinking of doing a simple drain and refill soon.
+1. I'm the Canadian referred to by Doublebase.

As he stated, only the US market calls their fluid "lifetime". Same fluid in my Canadian vehicle as your U.S. vehicle. As he noted, every other market in the world has a change interval. Something to do with marketing no doubt.
Old 06-25-15, 06:40 PM
DiggerJim
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
As he stated, only the US market calls their fluid "lifetime". Same fluid in my Canadian vehicle as your U.S. vehicle. As he noted, every other market in the world has a change interval. Something to do with marketing no doubt.
Anyone have a Canadian 600hL? I'd be interested in what that service recommendation is. The transmission is radically different than the 460 though (CVT with the inline electric traction motor) so it's not one of the things shared with the 460 that I can use 460 owners' experience to guide my own.

TIA
Old 06-26-15, 04:11 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by roadfrog
+1. I'm the Canadian referred to by Doublebase.

If my memory serves me. Other threads mention US dealers turning away xmission fluid changes. There was also a rash of xmission repairs needed afterward. With the possibility of problems after fluid changes are done, I'd hesitate to have anyone but a dealer do it. At least with a dealer, you can hold them responsible for "botched" repairs and services. Did you experience any troubles? Do you remember threads with others having problems? I'm at 70,000 miles CPO and would like to do a change if safe to do so.
Old 06-27-15, 04:26 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by swfla
If my memory serves me. Other threads mention US dealers turning away xmission fluid changes. There was also a rash of xmission repairs needed afterward. With the possibility of problems after fluid changes are done, I'd hesitate to have anyone but a dealer do it. At least with a dealer, you can hold them responsible for "botched" repairs and services. Did you experience any troubles? Do you remember threads with others having problems? I'm at 70,000 miles CPO and would like to do a change if safe to do so.
I have talked with a dealer regarding this, the problem is that some people have screwed up the refill level after doing the service and the transmissions fail within 700-1000 miles. So I imagine the reason why some places are turning customers away is that they're afraid of damaging the unit. I can't really blame them for that...imagine ruining a very expensive transmission and then Lexus would ask them why they agreed to the service, when in the U.S. It's a "lifetime fluid". But there are places/people that can do it correctly. I did it myself following the fluid level temp procedure, but I wouldn't advise people to try it unless they practice the sequence and feel comfortable with it first. In fact I'd suggest they take it to a Toyota dealer, they have a similar procedure with lots of their cars/trucks.

And believe me, Google Toyota WS fluid...it's not a lifetime fluid. And I've talked to Lexus techs that feel the same way.
Old 06-27-15, 05:29 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

So, a Toyota dealer that agrees to do the fluid change and has done many of them would be the way to go it seems. I've got 70k miles on a LS460 with 3 years of CPO warranty. Here's a good question.... Because Lexus says it's a lifetime fluid, would a fluid change void any warranty claims on the transmission? Is it worth the risk? I'll call a Lexus dealer. I may want to wait until my CPO warranty is over at 100k miles. Perhaps the only way to avoid a warranty refusal is to have Lexus do the flush$$$$$ vs Toyota.
Any opinions???